Well, we won

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Well, we won

Post by Baywave1 »

WaveProf wrote:
Baywave1 wrote: . I know it's all moot and idle speculation but I think he could have played effectively in Fritz's system if he had walked on at Tulane. Just my guess.
That was never in question. Lots of quarterbacks playing FCS football would be good enough to walk on at our school as a back up, and he would probably fit our system better than most. But I saw nothing to make me think he would ever really play here except for in emergencies, so why would we waste time recruiting him and why would he waste 56k a year to ride the pine?
Maybe for the same reason, Div 2 (?) Newman and others like him came here to walk on: to give FBS a long shot while earning a pretty good diploma.

I had never seen Fourcade play in person until last night. He played above his weight and average arm and surprised me. Nothing more. I don't know what he was like in 2016 as a frosh but he might have seen some playing time that year when his competition was Cuillette, et al, and not Banks and now McMillan.

Regardless I could see this NSU team doing some damage in FCS playoffs. May they enjoy much success now that Tulane is past them.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It's always satisfying to go out and take care of business. Dauphine is just electric. Can't wait till he's in shape to take on more of a load.
We deserve so much better
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Thanks for posting the highlights, which I had not seen until just now (I was at a wedding during the game). Dauphine smushed a Nicholls cheerleader on his third TD. Yikes!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:...And a bigger problem than Dauphines health limiting his touches Is the fact that he only even goes on the field when he’s going to carry it. It’s really predictable. If he’s out there we are handing off. It didn’t matter when we dominated the talent gap against Nichols, but…
Did it look to you like it really mattered if they knew he was coming?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Baywave1 wrote:...I could see this NSU team doing some damage in FCS playoffs. May they enjoy much success now that Tulane is past them.
I agree. That was my take, too.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Johnny Mac wrote:there are a lot of people who don't come on this forum... even more who just generally despise their fellow Tulane fans.. all over shiat like this.

We won the game.. but there is nothing but complaining and doom and gloom.

Way to celebrate a win, guys. You're all awesome.

What I also love is the sound of crickets from certain peeps on here after we won.....if we would have lost though.... :xmad:
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:there are a lot of people who don't come on this forum... even more who just generally despise their fellow Tulane fans.. all over shiat like this.

What I also love is the sound of crickets from certain peeps on here after we won.....if we would have lost though.... :xmad:
You don’t get pats on the back for beating an FCS school, and fans would be correct to be furious if we were to lose to one. Do you really not understand that?
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Roller wrote:
WaveProf wrote:...And a bigger problem than Dauphines health limiting his touches Is the fact that he only even goes on the field when he’s going to carry it. It’s really predictable. If he’s out there we are handing off. It didn’t matter when we dominated the talent gap against Nichols, but…
I also appreciate the highlights post. I was on an airplane during much of the game and could only listen to the second half. When I saw Dauphine's runs, I was stunned. I don't remember seeing another Tulane back run like that...fast AND shifty...since maybe Tony Converse. Give him a few more games like that and we are talking Heisman! What a talent.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Cheerleader wrote:Give him a few more games like that and we are talking Heisman!
Yeah, about that... ever seen a Heisman hopeful get 6 touches per game?
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

PeteRasche wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:Give him a few more games like that and we are talking Heisman!
Yeah, about that... ever seen a Heisman hopeful get 6 touches per game?
I don't know what's up with that, but if he runs for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns every game with only 6 carries, he is my nominee.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Roller wrote:
I'm sure there are some other options out of that personnel package. Getting him going was the reason for him to get some carries. He clearly made the most of it.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Did you watch the game?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:

Did you watch the game?
the parts that ESPN+ actually showed.. yeah

WE.WON.THE.GAME. Convincingly. Who cares if it was an FCS.. it was an FCS that won a P5 road game the week before.. when the fk was the last time Tulane won a P5 road game? Oh wait.. when was the last time Tulane won a ROAD game at all?

The announcers all night were harping on how Nicholls had a bunch of D1A talent.. so even if it was an FCS school, they are better than the average bear.. and we beat them by 25.. and it should have been more.

My point is that the consistent negative dik bags aren't even recognizing the W in the left column and are harping on every negative they can grasp.

One thing they cannot say about Tulane is "The alphabet has more Ws than Tulane".. we are tied with the alphabet! So we got that going for us... which is nice.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

Did you watch the game?
the parts that ESPN+ actually showed.. yeah

WE.WON.THE.GAME. Convincingly. Who cares if it was an FCS.. it was an FCS that won a P5 road game the week before.. when the fk was the last time Tulane won a P5 road game? Oh wait.. when was the last time Tulane won a ROAD game at all?

The announcers all night were harping on how Nicholls had a bunch of D1A talent.. so even if it was an FCS school, they are better than the average bear.. and we beat them by 25.. and it should have been more.

My point is that the consistent negative dik bags aren't even recognizing the W in the left column and are harping on every negative they can grasp.

One thing they cannot say about Tulane is "The alphabet has more Ws than Tulane".. we are tied with the alphabet! So we got that going for us... which is nice.
Do you think we played well? Smart? Composed? Disciplined?
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m happy we won convincingly, doing what we should do, while playing an overall sloppy game. A lot of it is correctable but I think there should still be some concern with the OL as well as the lack of pressure we get on defense.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote:I’m happy we won convincingly, doing what we should do, while playing an overall sloppy game. A lot of it is correctable but I think there should still be some concern with the OL as well as the lack of pressure we get on defense.
In hindsight, I also can appreciate a win. But I agree with what Windy is saying and this. The offensive line was a concern for me against a team that I would hope we would be able to overmatch. They were able to get pressure far too often for my liking. On defense I felt like we got pressure fairly often, but just as often would whiff on a sack or let Fourcade look like Cam Newton back there. This isn't the last mobile QB we will play so the D-line needs to improve quickly on that front.

UAB will tell us a lot. It's our first road game and UAB is a team that should bowl this year. Their coach is no chump and after last week's shellacking they should be ready to play. This is a game we should win in year three. The season isn't over if we lose (see FIU last year and losing to South Alabama in 2013 when we bowled), but I will be disappointed if we aren't 2-1 after Saturday.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

The deal is we should be ready to beat anybody. Losing against South Alabama was unacceptable. It cost us being able to get a better bowl than what we ended up with.

And being caught completely unaware against FIU last year as well as FAU in 2013 when FAU had every reason to lose and we were on a roll - actually both of these games we were on a roll - winning games like this shows that we aren't the same old same old. Losing to these types of teams is what holds us back from getting taken seriously.

I watched the Samford FSU replay and it was obvious that FSU didn't prepare. Samford punched them in the mouth and almost took that game. That's how we need to be. Well-coached, precise in our execution, and hungry to win.

I'm still waiting to see the team come out with a burst of confidence and just ready to take it. Corey Dauphine is that one bright spot and we need every player to play like him.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Johnny Mac wrote: Oh wait.. when was the last time Tulane won a ROAD game at all?
But for a bad call, we'd have won our last 2.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: and we beat them by 25.. and it should have been more.

The "should have been more" is what the complaints are about. I really think you are overselling that folks are so negative, it's not like people are saying we're CJ-and-Price-level bad. I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing things we need to shore up. There is no rule we may only talk about positives. The problem is people try to discuss anything negative and instead of a conversation about the issue, it turns into a back-and-forth about who is negative and who is too sensitive and how the other shouldn't be... When instead it should be a basis for discussion.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

One winning season, one bowl game in the last 15 years. It's easy to find fault and want improvement. A loss to UAB means Tulane must go 5-3 in conference just to be bowl eligible. When was the last time Tulane had a winning/ over .500 conference record?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac, we were sloppy and undisciplined. Sloppy and undisciplined teams get smoked against comparable competition. Yeah, I agree, we won by 25 and ought to be happy. I am. BUT, we need to beat an FBS team by 25 and then let's talk. We were physically dominant upfront against NSU, which may or may not happen again from here on out. Penalties like we had will kill us against a USF or a Cincy--games we need to win and have little room for error.

The standard is the '98 team, who smoked everyone they played because they WERE disciplined and NOT sloppy. That's where all this angst is coming from. Every season has ebbs and flows; we look slow out of the gate. Let's hope things improve and we win more than we lose.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Wave Revival wrote:One winning season, one bowl game in the last 15 years. It's easy to find fault and want improvement. A loss to UAB means Tulane must go 5-3 in conference just to be bowl eligible. When was the last time Tulane had a winning/ over .500 conference record?
We were 5-3 in an admittedly weaker CUSA in 2013. I think in year three it's more than ok to expect a winning conference record.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:Johnny Mac, we were sloppy and undisciplined. Sloppy and undisciplined teams get smoked against comparable competition. Yeah, I agree, we won by 25 and ought to be happy. I am. BUT, we need to beat an FBS team by 25 and then let's talk. We were physically dominant upfront against NSU, which may or may not happen again from here on out. Penalties like we had will kill us against a USF or a Cincy--games we need to win and have little room for error.

The standard is the '98 team, who smoked everyone they played because they WERE disciplined and NOT sloppy. That's where all this angst is coming from. Every season has ebbs and flows; we look slow out of the gate. Let's hope things improve and we win more than we lose.
I think an undefeated team is a bit high for the standard.
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Johnny Mac, we were sloppy and undisciplined. Sloppy and undisciplined teams get smoked against comparable competition. Yeah, I agree, we won by 25 and ought to be happy. I am. BUT, we need to beat an FBS team by 25 and then let's talk. We were physically dominant upfront against NSU, which may or may not happen again from here on out. Penalties like we had will kill us against a USF or a Cincy--games we need to win and have little room for error.

That would be a gold standard
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:

That would be a gold standard
It should be every teams' expectation before a season begins. If not, then that might be part of our problem.
Plan your work, work your plan.