Well, we won

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Well, we won

Post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote:Johnny Mac, we were sloppy and undisciplined. Sloppy and undisciplined teams get smoked against comparable competition. Yeah, I agree, we won by 25 and ought to be happy. I am. BUT, we need to beat an FBS team by 25 and then let's talk. We were physically dominant upfront against NSU, which may or may not happen again from here on out. Penalties like we had will kill us against a USF or a Cincy--games we need to win and have little room for error.

The standard is the '98 team, who smoked everyone they played because they WERE disciplined and NOT sloppy. That's where all this angst is coming from. Every season has ebbs and flows; we look slow out of the gate. Let's hope things improve and we win more than we lose.
I was with you in the first paragraph. Then came the second....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Rotorooter wrote:Johnny Mac, we were sloppy and undisciplined. Sloppy and undisciplined teams get smoked against comparable competition. Yeah, I agree, we won by 25 and ought to be happy. I am. BUT, we need to beat an FBS team by 25 and then let's talk. We were physically dominant upfront against NSU, which may or may not happen again from here on out. Penalties like we had will kill us against a USF or a Cincy--games we need to win and have little room for error.

The standard is the '98 team, who smoked everyone they played because they WERE disciplined and NOT sloppy. That's where all this angst is coming from. Every season has ebbs and flows; we look slow out of the gate. Let's hope things improve and we win more than we lose.
Roto I agree with all you say there except that we were not dominant upfront. Dauphine did what he did on his talent. Other than his 6 carries we didn't do much running game wise when you consider the opposition and the pass protection was bad as usual. As others have noted in this thread the line is a major concern.
We deserve so much better
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Oh yes. I misread that. I don’t think we were dominant upfront at all this weekend.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

WaveProf wrote:Oh yes. I misread that. I don’t think we were dominant upfront at all this weekend.
Not at all. OL looked a little better in driving the run game, but not at all positions, and pass blocking was an adventure again. DL got good push now and then but wasn't dominant.

As I think about it again, the refs bailed Fourcade out a few times. Those calls against Moody were really bad.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Wandering Quaker wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Oh yes. I misread that. I don’t think we were dominant upfront at all this weekend.
Not at all. OL looked a little better in driving the run game, but not at all positions, and pass blocking was an adventure again. DL got good push now and then but wasn't dominant.

As I think about it again, the refs bailed Fourcade out a few times. Those calls against Moody were really bad.
While I’m still concerned, I really think Fritz is trying different combos (substitution wise) on the line to see who plays well together. Preconference is the time to do it. Like last year, I expect we will look much more rhythmic once conference play starts. There isn’t a team in our conference we can’t expect to beat with Memphis QB play appearing to take a step back, Houston we’ve beat recently and we made the USF game close after spotting them a nice lead.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:there are a lot of people who don't come on this forum... even more who just generally despise their fellow Tulane fans.. all over shiat like this.

We won the game.. but there is nothing but complaining and doom and gloom.

Way to celebrate a win, guys. You're all awesome.

What I also love is the sound of crickets from certain peeps on here after we won.....if we would have lost though.... :xmad:
You don’t get pats on the back for beating an FCS school, and fans would be correct to be furious if we were to lose to one. Do you really not understand that?

Gee wonder why my statement bothered you sooooo much.....did you take some precious time away from yelling at Hurricanes because they are not Windy enough? :2fight:
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:there are a lot of people who don't come on this forum... even more who just generally despise their fellow Tulane fans.. all over shiat like this.

What I also love is the sound of crickets from certain peeps on here after we won.....if we would have lost though.... :xmad:
You don’t get pats on the back for beating an FCS school, and fans would be correct to be furious if we were to lose to one. Do you really not understand that?

Gee wonder why my statement bothered you sooooo much.....did you take some precious time away from yelling at Hurricanes because they are not Windy enough? :2fight:
Your statement didn’t bother me at all but if it did it would probably be due to the lack of common sense used.

If we had lost to Nicholls I’d hope that don’t normally post would be on here calling for heads, it would mean that people actually care. I can also see that a win over Nicholls is expected and not worthy of praise
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

Your statement didn’t bother me at all but if it did it would probably be due to the lack of common sense used.

If we had lost to Nicholls I’d hope that don’t normally post would be on here calling for heads, it would mean that people actually care. I can also see that a win over Nicholls is expected and not worthy of praise
I think he’s talking about the Nelsons we have whose only role is to show up, point and say “ha ha”. Beating Nicholls was no great feat but their absence means it can’t even be spun as bad.
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Very good win against a ranked FCS team. Offensive played well at times. Dauphine was great. Bradwell was tough. And Amare Jones showed flashes. Mooney was good and Encalde was steady. Probably will see some different OL combinations coming up.

Defensively we bent but did not break. Harris was outstanding. Kuerschen had a terrific interception. The DL will take some time. We are so young.

Huge game Saturday. A must win game. Lets put it on the Blazers.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

I don't read anything into us not whipping Nicholls the way some people think we should have whipped them. Up here in Washington Husky land, people are whining that the Huskies didn't annihilate North Dakota last weekend. The same Huskies that took what is probably a good Auburn team to the wire the weekend before.

Willie will have us ready in Birmingham.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

OGSB wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

I think he’s talking about the Nelsons we have whose only role is to show up, point and say “ha ha”. Beating Nicholls was no great feat but their absence means it can’t even be spun as bad.
I don’t think that’s his point at all. I think his point is that people should show positivity in wins that is equivalent to the negativity over the losses. I think that’s ridiculous.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:
OGSB wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

I don’t think that’s his point at all. I think his point is that people should show positivity in wins that is equivalent to the negativity over the losses. I think that’s ridiculous.

There you go thinking for other people again... if you took offense to my statement then you better look harder in the mirror. If it didn't bother you then you had no reason to once again try to directly insult someone.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I Didn’t take offense to your comment
and I didn’t insult anyone either. Just because I disagreed with you doesn’t mean I’m offended or I’m insulting you. Get some thicker skin. When I insult you, you’ll know

IMO, it’s much harder to arrive at OGSB’s theory than mine. I think it’s pretty obvious what you were thinking
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:I Didn’t take offense to your comment
and I didn’t insult anyone either. Just because I disagreed with you doesn’t mean I’m offended or I’m insulting you. Get some thicker skin. When I insult you, you’ll know

IMO, it’s much harder to arrive at OGSB’s theory than mine. I think it’s pretty obvious what you were thinking
So me not "understanding" & "lack of common sense" & telling me what I am thinking isn't insulting huh? :shock:
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

When I asked if you understood that, it was a legitimate question and it still stands. That’s not an insult nor was it an insult to say that it lacks common sense. If you took it as one, that’s on you.
IMO, it’s pretty easy to see why a loss to Nicholls would draw great criticisms while a win against them isn’t a cause for celebration
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Why not celebrate a victory? Lord knows they’re rare enough. And pretty much every Div. 1A team plays a FBS team at least we picked a pretty good one who’s fans travel well and helped make the game more fun.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:Why not celebrate a victory? Lord knows they’re rare enough. And pretty much every Div. 1A team plays a FBS team at least we picked a pretty good one who’s fans travel well and helped make the game more fun.
I think you meant FCS, but I don't want to put words in your mouth :angel:

And I agree, we should just have an in-state FCS rotation. There are plenty of them (Grambling, Southern, SELA, Nicholls, Northwestern St, McNeese). We could even be all condescending about it like LSU with the other in-state FBS schools.
Last edited by gerryb323 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yeah I think an in-state FCS rotation is fun. We can't complain about LSU not playing us out of one side of our mouth and then say we won't play the LA FCS schools out of the other. They travel well which helps with atmosphere and tickets sold/concessions. It beats the pants off playing Maine.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

gerry you’re right I meant FCS :oops:

And I love the idea of rotating LA schools much better than the occasional Maine
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Yeah I think an in-state FCS rotation is fun. We can't complain about LSU not playing us out of one side of our mouth and then say we won't play the LA FCS schools out of the other. They travel well which helps with atmosphere and tickets sold/concessions. It beats the pants off playing Maine.
LSU plays in state schools at home. Two this year. For us to not be hypocritical we would have to schedule home and away seriees vs ULL, ULM, and La tech. LSU would gladly play us at LSU without a return game.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Yeah I think an in-state FCS rotation is fun. We can't complain about LSU not playing us out of one side of our mouth and then say we won't play the LA FCS schools out of the other. They travel well which helps with atmosphere and tickets sold/concessions. It beats the pants off playing Maine.
LSU plays in state schools at home. Two this year. For us to not be hypocritical we would have to schedule home and away seriees vs ULL, ULM, and La tech. LSU would gladly play us at LSU without a return game.
No, ulm, ull, and la tech are FBS. Apples to oranges. Nothing hypocritical about playing the FCS only at home. All FBS do it
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Gerry—- he wasn’t saying we were hypocritical to play fcs at home. He said it’d be hypocritical to use that as a countering example when complaining about LSU not playing us h/h. He’s right.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wasn't that a baseball discussion anyway? I don't know how the football relationship is there. And you all know I was being facetious with my first comment, right?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I feel like baseball scheduling vs football is apples to oranges :)
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
No, ulm, ull, and la tech are FBS. Apples to oranges. Nothing hypocritical about playing the FCS only at home. All FBS do it
I am talking about football. LSU also has a defacto FCS rotation in football.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy