No Riptide

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: No Riptide

Post by Yankeewave »

For alcohol violations they made kids sweep Diboll parking garage, why not make them dress in the pelican suit?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

So forget Riptide. Go back to the original Angry Wave Mascot (the black and white picture below, not the tree looking thing). Roomy costume allowing for plenty of air flow! :-D

A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:So forget Riptide. Go back to the original Angry Wave Mascot (the black and white picture below, not the tree looking thing). Roomy costume allowing for plenty of air flow! :-D

Yeah, one could have their date in that costume as well -- 8)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I can get why Stanford didn't want Chief Wahoo's long lost cousin as its mascot but man that tree needs some tough love (and AW is just the mascot to share it!)
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

just fyi - they did have a couple of students lined up, but that fell through. they are working to resolve the issue
SlamDunk
Riptide Level

Post by SlamDunk »

PeteRasche wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:Those costumes are really, really hot. People i know at big ten schools say the mascots are always drunk. Seems not so fun in NOLA heat
Yet we've had it for decades and decades. So either someone is making an excuse, the younger generation are truly snowflakes, or we've successfully driven out every last inkling of sports interest from the student body we recruit.

I'll go ahead and speak for windy who will say "all of the above".
Calling students snowflakes for not getting in a hot mascot out fit is a bit ridiculous when our fanbase has many alums hang out in the Glazer club instead of watching from their seats some games.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

SlamDunk wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:Those costumes are really, really hot. People i know at big ten schools say the mascots are always drunk. Seems not so fun in NOLA heat
Yet we've had it for decades and decades. So either someone is making an excuse, the younger generation are truly snowflakes, or we've successfully driven out every last inkling of sports interest from the student body we recruit.

I'll go ahead and speak for windy who will say "all of the above".
Calling students snowflakes for not getting in a hot mascot out fit is a bit ridiculous when our fanbase has many alums hang out in the Glazer club instead of watching from their seats some games.
Apples and oranges. But whatever.

I didn't "necessarily" call them that, I threw it out as an option...
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

noladave wrote:just fyi - they did have a couple of students lined up, but that fell through. they are working to resolve the issue
Thanks for the update.

To answer a few loose questions put out there in this thread. Neither cheerleaders nor the dance team are compensated in any way. Their budgets and administration are handled separately. The way these groups have been administered over the years has been varied.

Cheer was once classified as a sport at one point in time and so some cheer alumni are part of the lettermen's association.

During the Dickson era, Cheer and Riptide were managed under the Marketing Department, but got funding actually through SGA. We attempted to donate funds to Cheer to help beef things up but the process of depositing and earmarking funds was so convoluted because of having to go through SGA that we gave up on that. We all know how poorly marketing was run under Dickson, so there was a lot that didn't happen in that era with respect to Riptide - from proper costume cleaning, to logistics for away games.

Because Shockwave performed at halftime and in Mardi Gras, TUMB was able to get administration of dance under them so funding was a more accessible process and it was easier to help them with financial donations for training and uniform that weren't covered under Band or SGA funds. That is one thing that I am particularly proud of because Shockwave has blossomed so much between having a really fantastic Director in Ashley Gervais, and Barry who cares deeply about running a top notch program, and both of them cultivating a growing base of patrons and supporters.

Shockwave has started hosting an annual "Showcase" as a fundraiser/Review where they performed all of their routines from the year, as well as a few lyrical pieces. They had raffles in between each of the dance numbers and printed up a beautiful program with parents publishing ads for their daughters. It was really nice. The Showcase is somewhat similar to the Band's annual Spring Performance where Barry hosts a pre-dinner to thank all of the donors and patrons.

The only student performers who receive anything of monetary value is the Marching Band. Incoming freshmen receive a small scholarship, and are eligible to apply for additional scholarship money as well. They also get one fine arts credit. I don't know if Dance or Cheer get any course credit for their time, but they should imo.

I had heard there was an effort in the works to get Cheer and Dance together under a director to make sure that Cheer/Riptide get better support.

Cheer will always manage to do what it needs to do regardless of where they fall in the flow chart. But the downside of Riptide being part of marketing is that it's like in a "No Man's Land" where things fall in the crack.

It's disappointing that we are three games in to the season and he was MIA for student orientation, for the opening game, and especially for the Nicholls game since that was so well attended.

One incident that happened during the Dickson era that just blew the top off Coach Hullabaloo was he overheard students ask "What's the deal with the bird?" one time that Riptide was walking down the sidewalk after a basketball game. Can you imagine going to Oregon and a student saying the same thing about the Duck?

These days Mascots do get training, and it's an industry - there's training camps, national championships. And it's can be a decent living as a professional because of the money you can make in appearances in addition to your salary if you are with a Pro team. There were two seasons on Hulu "Behind the Mask" profiling different mascots - college, MLB, NBA, NHL, high school.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:They also get one fine arts credit. I don't know if Dance or Cheer get any course credit for their time, but they should imo.
I can see dance getting dance credits, but in curious what cheer would get credit for? Dance also?
DrHullabaloo wrote:One incident that happened during the Dickson era that just blew the top off Coach Hullabaloo was he overheard students ask "What's the deal with the bird?" one time that Riptide was walking down the sidewalk after a basketball game. Can you imagine going to Oregon and a student saying the same thing about the Duck?
That would never happen if his name was Pecker.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

NJwave wrote:Personally, I loved the inflatable/deflatable Riptide from years past. Kids adored it. I might be wrong, but I believe they stopped using it because there was an incident where it was caught on the field and they couldn't deflate it.

In the old days, schools could have used it as a form of punishment. Miss a block in practice and you are Riptide this week. Can't sink a free throw. Three suicides and a mascot uniform. What do you mean you can't throw strikes? Riptide.
That was one everybody enjoyed. It needs to be brought back.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Dr. H., Thanks for the background. If Tulane is giving "performance" credits to other Fine Arts students (and it has for decades) certainly TUMB and relations deserve it as you explain. Glad to know some schollie money is out there as well for these folks. Hope that grows too.