No letdown: Tulane knows it needs to focus fully on UAB

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: No letdown: Tulane knows it needs to focus fully on UAB

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote:I'm cool with absolute self-confidence as long as it is internalized. It's not so good when you're placing the talking before the walking.

Well in short our guys have laid down the marker like Namath before SB III. It's not bragging if you can do it. We'll know late afternoon Saturday which it is.
This. Roller, I'm not against the players be confident. I think we should win this game and I absolutely hope the players think they should. But there's no need to say it aloud to a reporter before a game. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done...
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

I used to be bothered by this kind of talking, but I really don't care anymore. If we lose to UAB, the storyline won't be "Tulane loses to UAB because it ran its mouth." It will be "Tulane upset by C-USA opponent it should have beaten."

What we have gotten a lot during the past fifteen years is blather about "we need to execute" and "we just need to take care of business" and "we feel good about ourselves"--then a whole lot of not executing, not taking care of business, and feeling bad. It hasn't mattered who the opponent was, whether Tulane was an underdog or a favorite, or where the game was played. So I'm not listening to player chat anymore. Talk all you want, players, so long as you show up and win--and preferably beat the ever-loving hell out of some people along the way.

And this: if we can't face another team's amped-up best shot, we aren't very good. We can beat the teams that totally mail it in (see Tulsa last year) or can't hope to play four quarters against our depth (see every FCS team since 2007). But we worry about AAC and C-USA teams' getting worked up for the game? Come on.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Wandering Quaker wrote:I used to be bothered by this kind of talking, but I really don't care anymore. If we lose to UAB, the storyline won't be "Tulane loses to UAB because it ran its mouth." It will be "Tulane upset by C-USA opponent it should have beaten."

What we have gotten a lot during the past fifteen years is blather about "we need to execute" and "we just need to take care of business" and "we feel good about ourselves"--then a whole lot of not executing, not taking care of business, and feeling bad. It hasn't mattered who the opponent was, whether Tulane was an underdog or a favorite, or where the game was played. So I'm not listening to player chat anymore. Talk all you want, players, so long as you show up and win--and preferably beat the ever-loving hell out of some people along the way.

And this: if we can't face another team's amped-up best shot, we aren't very good. We can beat the teams that totally mail it in (see Tulsa last year) or can't hope to play four quarters against our depth (see every FCS team since 2007). But we worry about AAC and C-USA teams' getting worked up for the game? Come on.
I agree with the above, but... a team that went bowlimg last year and we didnt isnt below us any more than Houston etc are below Vanderbilt Arkansas, and Texas Tech. To buy into our superiority becuase we have a an AAC sticker on our shirt is garbage just as CJ suggested that he was at a disadvantage the froat year in the AAC. WFs Georgia Southern team won the Sun Belt their first Year in the conference. Missouri won the SEC east their 2nd and 3rd years in that conference. Evaluate each team by the players on it and the coaches on the sidelines, not the patches on the jerseys.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

Each year we talk about a game (or two, or three) that we can look at as a measuring stick to see if Tulane has finally turned the corner and can be a winning program. Is this one of those games? Can we go on the road and win a game we should win? If we do, it bodes well for the rest of the season, right? Every game matters, but do you think this game is important and a "must win"? I think so. I think we need to erase memories of the FIU disaster last year, and this game has to be looked at for that very reason. While Guerry brought it up in the article, I think it was on most people's minds anyway.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

we win this game and we're 1/3 of the way to a Bowl game and we breathe a little excitement into this Program.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

sprout1550 wrote:Each year we talk about a game (or two, or three) that we can look at as a measuring stick to see if Tulane has finally turned the corner and can be a winning program. Is this one of those games? Can we go on the road and win a game we should win? If we do, it bodes well for the rest of the season, right? Every game matters, but do you think this game is important and a "must win"? I think so. I think we need to erase memories of the FIU disaster last year, and this game has to be looked at for that very reason. While Guerry brought it up in the article, I think it was on most people's minds anyway.
If we lose the season isn't over, but it will be in peril. Assuming we lose to OSU we will be 1-3 out of conference. Which mean we have to go 5-3 in conference. The AAC West now is a level better than the CUSA West was in 2013,the last time we went 5-3 in conference.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

sprout1550 wrote:Each year we talk about a game (or two, or three) that we can look at as a measuring stick to see if Tulane has finally turned the corner and can be a winning program. Is this one of those games? Can we go on the road and win a game we should win? If we do, it bodes well for the rest of the season, right? Every game matters, but do you think this game is important and a "must win"? I think so. I think we need to erase memories of the FIU disaster last year, and this game has to be looked at for that very reason. While Guerry brought it up in the article, I think it was on most people's minds anyway.
This is a game we badly need. And the conference needs us to win. Well then let's see if we come out with our hair on fire. Let's see if the offensive coaches let loose a bit. Let's see if we can...dare I say...dominate.

I know WF isn't one of those super rah-rah coaches, but there are games in his tenure when we come out stoked (Southern and ECU in 16, Navy, Tulsa, Houston and SMU in 17), then there were the debacles of Cincy and FIU in 17 (and I could add - and most shockingly - the offense during first half of the Wake game).

UAB played in the bowl game we should have been in had the SMU call gone the right way. Reminder that they got shellacked 41-6 to Ohio in that game.
Last edited by 1401973 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I don't think there can ever be such a thing as a "must win" game in week III. But man this looms large. Assuming one doesn't like our chances against OSU (being OSU) or Memphis (being Memphis on short rest after OSU), a loss Saturday would "most likely" have us at 1-4 with potentially two bad losses in a row. That's hard to come back from.

We are more than capable of winning this game. Past experience has taught us to fear these games. Player quotes aren't helping.

So let's DO this.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Helpful instructions on how to find the game on Facebook
https://twitter.com/greenwavefb/status/ ... 38496?s=21
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I’ve tried to follow the Facebook instructions but I am not seeing what the video says I should see on the Tulane Football Facebook page. I cannot seem to find the Tulane vs. UAB place where to click “Interested”.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

visualmagic wrote:Helpful instructions on how to find the game on Facebook
https://twitter.com/greenwavefb/status/ ... 38496?s=21
Those instructions do not work for many people, despite following all of their suggestions. Several frustrated people over there unable to get the link.

It's easier to go to the UAB site and use their link, since they seem to have a handle on how to do it.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Okay, so since we have THREE threads on the UAB game and since people keep posting everything that gets posted to the "Tulane football alliance" Facebook page without checking to see if it's correct or working or worthwhile, can I point out that we've already discussed how to watch it, and randymc posted the direct link here :
viewtopic.php?p=719424#p719424

Forget instructions, forget using the bootleg (probably malware filled) link someone posted. It's not going to be hard to find, people. Just realize you will need a Facebook account if you don't have one (and when you set up a new one, you don't have to link it to your contacts or address book, just skip that step).

Facebook is a lot of things but tech-ignorant they're not (unlike the folks who made an instruction video on Tulane's site with a broken video link). For the fourth time, I promise, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIND IT.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pete, thanks! Put this post alone on its own thread.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Anyway, I clicked Interested which if the video is to be believed means it’ll now just happen Saturday.

In my Navy days we had a highly technical term for things that just fix themselves: PFM.

Pure Effing Magic.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Anyway, I clicked Interested which if the video is to be believed means it’ll now just happen Saturday.

In my Navy days we had a highly technical term for things that just fix themselves: PFM.

Pure Effing Magic.
If you are referring to the website on the previous page which does NOT have "Facebook.com" in the title and you clicked something on that page that was encouraging you to click for access to a game, you probably just downloaded some nice spyware or malware. Just sayin'.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Pure Effing Magic.
If you are referring to the website on the previous page which does NOT have "Facebook.com" in the title and you clicked something on that page that was encouraging you to click for access to a game, you probably just downloaded some nice spyware or malware. Just sayin'.
Nope. It was my own old Facebook feed, which I dutifully carried out the video instructions on yesterday to no avail. It PFMd itself.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Two-deep for UAB -

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Pure Effing Magic.
Nope. It was my own old Facebook feed, which I dutifully carried out the video instructions on yesterday to no avail. It PFMd itself.
Good. :mrgreen:
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:Nope. It was my own old Facebook feed, which I dutifully carried out the video instructions on yesterday to no avail. It PFMd itself.
Good. :mrgreen:
Same experience for me, TUPF