No letdown: Tulane knows it needs to focus fully on UAB

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

No letdown: Tulane knows it needs to focus fully on UAB

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: No letdown: Tulane knows it needs to focus fully on UAB

Post by tjtlja »

UAB has not lost a home game since it’s return. And 16 senior starters. Even though the program was just restored, they are very experienced and tough at home. After reading this article, I am somewhat surprised we are the betting line favorite.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:UAB has not lost a home game since it’s return. And 16 senior starters. Even though the program was just restored, they are very experienced and tough at home. After reading this article, I am somewhat surprised we are the betting line favorite.
They got outscored in the second half 27-0 by Coastal Carolina. Step back from the ledge. UAB is decent in CUSA... That's like being good in the Sun Belt about a decade ago.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:UAB has not lost a home game since it’s return. And 16 senior starters. Even though the program was just restored, they are very experienced and tough at home. After reading this article, I am somewhat surprised we are the betting line favorite.
They got outscored in the second half 27-0 by Coastal Carolina. Step back from the ledge. UAB is decent in CUSA... That's like being good in the Sun Belt about a decade ago.
Half of the conference is the Sun Belt (or WAC) from 10 years ago!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Basically. North Texas, Fau, Fiu, MTSU, WKU were all originally Sun Belt. And that doesn't count Old Dominion or Charlotte who werent FBS 10 years ago. Rice, UTEP, SMU and Marshall got left behind. LA tech and UTSA only slightly improved their lot with the WAC disappearing. We needed to get out when we did
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pete, I was just pointing out their experience and home record. We are only a 4 pt favorite and I am somewhat surprised they aren’t a slight favorite. Either way, I would hardly classify this as a ledge. This should be a tough game on paper and the betting public believes the same. I hope we win like last week, but I respect what UAB has accomplished since restoring their program and this game may not be a walk in the park.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote:Pete, I was just pointing out their experience and home record. We are only a 4 pt favorite and I am somewhat surprised they aren’t a slight favorite. Either way, I would hardly classify this as a ledge. This should be a tough game on paper and the betting public believes the same. I hope we win like last week, but I respect what UAB has accomplished since restoring their program and this game may not be a walk in the park.
Someone(s) with wherewithal likes Tulane. The betting trend moved what was initially an almost pick-it game (Tulane favored by one) to roughly 4.5 today. That's a pretty big move but probably reflects not that much money is bet on either of these teams compared to more notable teams and games so a few big bettors easily move the meter.

72 hour forecast now is as much as 95 degree max during game and sunny. In the Dome, I'd like Tulane comfortably but in those projected conditions, who knows? I'd like to have Tulane's and UAB's IV supply contract!

Positive side: I looked at replay of Saturday and you could see Fourcade's play (not his effort) noticeably decline as the game progressed in "moderate" evening conditions. Banks meanwhile looked like he had just come out of swimming pool but he did not miss a beat on the field in the second half. Dauphine's dehydration stood out for obvious reasons but if Banks is representative of team conditioning then maybe Tulane will not be too disadvantaged by the weather. All just a guess.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I was fully and intentionally cognizant of that fact when I wrote that.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

You don’t have letdowns after beating Nicholls State, for goodness sakes.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

someone tell the team they are 4 point dogs and are getting zero respect... place large chips on their shoulders... I only say this because the memories of the FIU fail might not be burning enough
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

GSx wrote:You don’t have letdowns after beating Nicholls State, for goodness sakes.
Good point
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac wrote:someone tell the team they are 4 point dogs and are getting zero respect... place large chips on their shoulders... I only say this because the memories of the FIU fail might not be burning enough
I agree with this too. The whole article is cringe worthy.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

This article ,or any other for that matter, doesn't deserve it's own thread. It should be merged with the UAB game week thread. It's really becoming a pattern to have too many threads on the same topic.
We deserve so much better
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Don't like Banks and Mooney's choice of words. There isn't a team on our schedule that is "lower than us". We didn't play like we believed that v Nicholls.

And we will not have a conditioning issue if we play our game. If we can run it, and indications are that we should, we control the clock and wear their D down. We will probably travel with 5 RBs. Bradwell, Dauphine, Huderson, Amare Jones, and Glenn. Maybe even Carroll. The hotter the better as far as I'm concerned.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

1401973 wrote:Don't like Banks and Mooney's choice of words. There isn't a team on our schedule that is "lower than us". We didn't play like we believed that v Nicholls.

And we will not have a conditioning issue if we play our game. If we can run it, and indications are that we should, we control the clock and wear their D down. We will probably travel with 5 RBs. Bradwell, Dauphine, Huderson, Amare Jones, and Glenn. Maybe even Carroll. The hotter the better as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah I caught the word choice too. UAB won 8 games and went bowling last year. We won five and didn't. Based on that, we're the "lower" team. And in general, it's an important lesson to respect your opponents. Giving them bulletin board material isn't a good way to do that.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Coastal Carolina will be on today at 1:00 PM CST on ESPN3. FYI
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Presume the team is flying to Birmingham … yes?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

If you weren't concerned about this game before, realize that after a decade of laying eggs against such opponents, we had TWO players refer to them as a "lower opponent"
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:If you weren't concerned about this game before, realize that after a decade of laying eggs against such opponents, we had TWO players refer to them as a "lower opponent"
Sigh
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

WaveProf wrote:If you weren't concerned about this game before, realize that after a decade of laying eggs against such opponents, we had TWO players refer to them as a "lower opponent"
Well I would have said two decades or even six decades if I were really depressed. Maybe WF can show them tape of the Army HC game at Gormley under Toledo. Now that tailgate was awesome...….. (True but...)
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The Army game at Tad Gormley was one of the best tailgates ever. And we were all so confident after outplaying Bama, going to the wire with ranked ECU, and winning two straight. And then...... Man. I still get angry thinking about it
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
1401973 wrote:Don't like Banks and Mooney's choice of words. There isn't a team on our schedule that is "lower than us". We didn't play like we believed that v Nicholls.

Yeah I caught the word choice too. UAB won 8 games and went bowling last year. We won five and didn't. Based on that, we're the "lower" team. And in general, it's an important lesson to respect your opponents. Giving them bulletin board material isn't a good way to do that.
Tulane as a severely low self esteem. I think that attitude has a negative effect on our W-L record. I for one, applaud players who think we are the meanest mothers in the valley. Whether or not we actually are, it's a good thing for the players to have that kind of confidence.

I realize that "pride goeth before a fall," but I still think "we got this" is the proper approach.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:The Army game at Tad Gormley was one of the best tailgates ever. And we were all so confident after outplaying Bama, going to the wire with ranked ECU, and winning two straight. And then...... Man. I still get angry thinking about it
Almost ten years to the week. Yes, biggest let down ever.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'm cool with absolute self-confidence as long as it is internalized. It's not so good when you're placing the talking before the walking.

Well in short our guys have laid down the marker like Namath before SB III. It's not bragging if you can do it. We'll know late afternoon Saturday which it is.