UAB 31 - Tulane 24

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: UAB 31 - Tulane 24

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:I missed everything because I had previously committed to officiating 4 successive peewee games. Looks like I had more fun.
Only if a munchkin kicked you in the nuts
You are omniscient. The final game of the day was what would be a freshman high school game if high schools around here had freshman teams. Surprisingly big and fast kids. I took a shot to the left thigh that had me leave my first game ever for a couple of plays. As an umpire I am 5-7 yards off the defensive line. :?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Fan Since '54 wrote:The following is not going to be a surprise to anyone here. Right now we re a dispondent group of fans. There have been so few glimmers of light in our lifetime, and that fact takes a toll. We are not bad people, or bad fans. We have had probably two things that brought us down this road. We were either born/raised here and wanted to support the hometown team or we were born into a family that had at least one parent who got his/her highest education @ Tulane. We jaw at each other only because we are so desperate to have a winner, and we dispute the methods to get that accomplished. In the final analysis, we need to stick together whatever the final scoreboard shows, but all of us have not yet learned that fact, me included. And just to reiterate what I said in a previous thread, be nice. And I know that is not always easy when the scoreboard brings an "L",,,again. We just need to respect each other for what we all are. Humans. Otherwise it can be and ugly world.

Thanks for reading. And peace and, again, respect. Because it makes it a better place to live if we all can accomplish those two things.

Fan since '54
:!:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:I missed everything because I had previously committed to officiating 4 successive peewee games. Looks like I had more fun.
Only if a munchkin kicked you in the nuts
You are omniscient.
I already knew that
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

My only comment is that it's been too quiet from the powers that be.

Meanwhile fans are pitching in the towel, everything from closing up the program, lamenting step backwards in appealing to new fans, calling for staff resignations, benching players. A lot of it is understandably frustration and venting from the most recent loss. But I also think that this loss goes a little deeper than past losses. If they're not bringing out a replacement QB during the game, either something is very desperately wrong with our supposedly robust depth chart, or we have a serious disconnect with the coaching staff's abilities.

In most of Willie Fritz' losses, we've been able to say: yes it was terrible, but either the team got it together and fought back and just came up short, or xyz player offers a glimmer of hope, or we're trending in the right direction and next year we'll get there with another recruiting class under us and another year of experience for the upperclassmen. The big exception to this was the FIU loss which he had absolutely no business losing that game.

We've given a pass on these losses because we're trusting that this staff are winners, Dannen is a winner, and that the winning portion of the Yulman Era would commence.

If y'all were complaining about the attendance on a Thursday game. The Memphis game will be like the Halloween Cincy game.

I could not bring myself to listen to the post-game interview, so I don't know what else Coach may have said other than reading some of the responses written up in the advocate articles .
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:The TP headline is too upbeat:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2 ... bile_index
They got our record wrong, too.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Pretty much feel like just after fiu last year. Turned it around after that, so hoping this is a wake up call
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

gerryb323 wrote:Pretty much feel like just after fiu last year. Turned it around after that, so hoping this is a wake up call
How many wake calls do we need?
Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

DrHullabaloo wrote:My only comment is that it's been too quiet from the powers that be.

Meanwhile fans are pitching in the towel, everything from closing up the program, lamenting step backwards in appealing to new fans, calling for staff resignations, benching players. A lot of it is understandably frustration and venting from the most recent loss. But I also think that this loss goes a little deeper than past losses. If they're not bringing out a replacement QB during the game, either something is very desperately wrong with our supposedly robust depth chart, or we have a serious disconnect with the coaching staff's abilities.

In most of Willie Fritz' losses, we've been able to say: yes it was terrible, but either the team got it together and fought back and just came up short, or xyz player offers a glimmer of hope, or we're trending in the right direction and next year we'll get there with another recruiting class under us and another year of experience for the upperclassmen. The big exception to this was the FIU loss which he had absolutely no business losing that game.

We've given a pass on these losses because we're trusting that this staff are winners, Dannen is a winner, and that the winning portion of the Yulman Era would commence.

If y'all were complaining about the attendance on a Thursday game. The Memphis game will be like the Halloween Cincy game.

I could not bring myself to listen to the post-game interview, so I don't know what else Coach may have said other than reading some of the responses written up in the advocate articles .
I don’t know what to think anymore. Fritz is supposed to be a winner yet we see the same problems game after game, year after year. If something or someone isn’t working you try something else.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I've always liked Fritz (still do), but the first big warning sign I noticed when we hired him was that all of his biggest fans, even the GSU guy that followed him to this board, talked about how every year his teams layed one giant "egg" in a game they shouldn't have. That it had been a pattern for him back to his SHSU days. That isn't always a great sign about how a coach approaches games in general.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Well, another thing that is nagging me is how he said that his instinct was to punt the ball which wound up being a fumble TD. However the moneyball service we are paying for recommended going for it on fourth down in that scenario.

Not sure what to think of this quandry.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Face It, We Are a Lower Level CUSA Team

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote:he's not wrong

we will be a bad 1 and 4 before October 1... that means only a margin of error of 2 with USF and Navy in November... it means we have to be perfect against SMU, Tulsa, Cincy, ECU and Houston... that's not happening folks.. so 5-7 is the best this team can hope to achieve.. and we all know we aren't winning all 4 of those other games.

McMillan should play the entire game next week. As I said on the scoreboard, McMillan with half a playbook has to be better than Banks with all of it.
Swap Navy and Houston and you have your 5 more wins needed. All are very winnable, all are very loseable.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Pretty much feel like just after fiu last year. Turned it around after that, so hoping this is a wake up call
How many wake calls do we need?
1 per year?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Well, another thing that is nagging me is how he said that his instinct was to punt the ball which wound up being a fumble TD. However the moneyball service we are paying for recommended going for it on fourth down in that scenario.

Go for it
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

I meant about the department paying for this Quack moneyball service.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I meant about the department paying for this Quack moneyball service.
You mean the service that gave the correct choice?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Several things -

1. We did not lay an egg yesterday. The spread was four points. We were playing a team starting 16 seniors with our DL barely averaging 20 years old. UAB controlled the line of scrimmage. That was no surprise. Getting beat yesterday was not the same as FIU.
2. We have no QB. And like others have said, no QB improvement. Banks is running an offense that does not fit his skill set. And he has been coached to not take too many hits.
3. No identity on offense. This is on the staff. They have no idea how to use the personnel they have and fit it into a scheme that works for their players.
4. WR depth has been hurt by the perception we are an option team. We are so far away from an option oriented offense.
5. We are recruiting OL to fit an option scheme and none of our QB’s fit this scheme.
6. Recruiting is heading in the wrong direction. We usually see this when the honeymoon ends.
7. Brantley was the one guy that fit what Fritz was looking for and he transfers.
8. Amare Jones should be playing more than Huderson.
9. Defense will get better. So young on the d-line. Just need experience and a year in the weight room.
10. Like rjc said, why did we ever abandon the RR model. That works and there are enough skill guys in our part of the country to run this year after year. The Tulane model has never worked.
11. Special teams have been a pleasant surprise.

We will likely win 3 or 4 games unless the LSU transfer is our savior. How ironic would that be!
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

gerryb323 wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:I meant about the department paying for this Quack moneyball service.
The service said to go for it. He wishes he’d gone against the analytics.

Are they following the analytics for all the other garbage play calls we’ve seen?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
The service said to go for it. He wishes he’d gone against the analytics.

Are they following the analytics for all the other garbage play calls we’ve seen?
I mean we all wish he had gone against it in hindsight.

Process
Results
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

gerryb323 wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:Well, another thing that is nagging me is how he said that his instinct was to punt the ball which wound up being a fumble TD. However the moneyball service we are paying for recommended going for it on fourth down in that scenario.

Go for it
Exactly. That was an execution problem, not a play-calling problem.

The correct decision was made, and it may have worked with just "poor" execution, but we showed horrible execution.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

tjtlja wrote: 2. We have no QB. And like others have said, no QB improvement. Banks is running an offense that does not fit his skill set. And he has been coached to not take too many hits.
It's been mentioned a bunch of times that he's being coached not to take hits. But he's not avoiding any hits, just taking them in the backfield. You'd think if they were coaching him not to take hits, they'd be trying to teach him to throw the ball away. Not to run backwards instead of forwards.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote: 2. We have no QB. And like others have said, no QB improvement. Banks is running an offense that does not fit his skill set. And he has been coached to not take too many hits.
It's been mentioned a bunch of times that he's being coached not to take hits. But he's not avoiding any hits, just taking them in the backfield. You'd think if they were coaching him not to take hits, they'd be trying to teach him to throw the ball away. Not to run backwards instead of forwards.
Some of that is on the OL but a lot of it is on him. He doesn’t step up in the pocket, he is quick to bail out the back end and it sometimes leads to big losses.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Do we have any pass plays designed for our RB’s or TE’s? Does he have any options to dump the ball off to?