UAB 31 - Tulane 24

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: UAB 31 - Tulane 24

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:Because he hasn’t been in this situation.

No one to blame but himself. Lack of recruiting at the most important position on the field and play calling reflects it. We don’t run option. We don’t pas the ball well. We are limited at WR. We have no identity. I would have preferred Brantley today. Just a mess.

Defense played well after first two quarters, but they came out the gate poorly. We are a CUSA type team and recruiting looks to be heading in the wrong direction. How many winning seasons since 1970? Five?
We really run no offense. You thought you could scout us? You thought we ran triple option? Nope. We don't run anything! Take that! Dougie should be in trouble
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Does anybody really think we’ll see a change at QB? Because I don’t. I think WF intends to ride the horse he has to the bitter end.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

On UAB's last score, Hall bit hard on the receiver heading to the flat. When he realized there was a receiver behind him - too late to make a play.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:On UAB's last score, Hall bit hard on the receiver heading to the flat. When he realized there was a receiver behind him - too late to make a play.
Ok
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

GreenieBacker wrote:Does anybody really think we’ll see a change at QB? Because I don’t. I think WF intends to ride the horse he has to the bitter end.
I could see McMillan getting a shot late in the season. At some point I assume our bowl hopes will officially be done. I’d hope we let McMillan play when that happens.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

GreenieBacker wrote:Does anybody really think we’ll see a change at QB? Because I don’t. I think WF intends to ride the horse he has to the bitter end.
Agree
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Thanks to visual and gerry's responses to wavemania for giving me my one chuckle of the day.

I've not been a Tulane fan as long as many of you. I came in with Toledo, suffered through CJ who I never thought was any good and was very excited with Coach Fritz. He was a proven winner and everything CJ was not. Even national media guys basically unanimously applauded his hire. Surely we were headed in the right direction. And yet here we are again. I don't know what it takes to be successful at Tulane any more and I don't even have any theories. If a guy with Fritz's record can't turn things around, who or what can? Maybe we should just start paying players for a few years so we can at least enjoy some wins.

Now as far as this season, I think you plan to play Banks next week since OSU will roll anyway. Going into Memphis you make a change to McMillan to at least let us see what we've got there. 4 weeks of prep isn't ideal but it isn't like this offense is some kind of masterful complex system right now anyway. Maybe that gives us some kind of spark to right the season because Banks clearly isn't cutting it. I hope Fritz will make that call, but doubt he will until late in the season when we are out of bowl contention.

In the offseason serious changes need to be made. This malarkey about being the only staff with all its pieces back intact across all of FBS isn't cutting it.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Thanks to visual and gerry's responses to wavemania for giving me my one chuckle of the day.

I've not been a Tulane fan as long as many of you. I came in with Toledo, suffered through CJ who I never thought was any good and was very excited with Coach Fritz. He was a proven winner and everything CJ was not. Even national media guys basically unanimously applauded his hire. Surely we were headed in the right direction. And yet here we are again. I don't know what it takes to be successful at Tulane any more and I don't even have any theories. If a guy with Fritz's record can't turn things around, who or what can? Maybe we should just start paying players for a few years so we can at least enjoy some wins.

Now as far as this season, I think you plan to play Banks next week since OSU will roll anyway. Going into Memphis you make a change to McMillan to at least let us see what we've got there. 4 weeks of prep isn't ideal but it isn't like this offense is some kind of masterful complex system right now anyway. Maybe that gives us some kind of spark to right the season because Banks clearly isn't cutting it. I hope Fritz will make that call, but doubt he will until late in the season when we are out of bowl contention.

In the offseason serious changes need to be made. This malarkey about being the only staff with all its pieces back intact across all of FBS isn't cutting it.
Right. That’s not a selling point with this offensive coordinator.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

visualmagic wrote:
Wavemania wrote:man. why is everyone so negative? :green wink: This is what happens every year Enjoy
Well at least you got to see that Chase Fourcade wouldn’t be the answer here.
Ha! Look up Rummel’s QB and you’ll know who he’ll be pushing for next.
Victory is never permanent
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Face It, We Are a Lower Level CUSA Team

Post by GSx »

tjtlja wrote:The past three years we would have finished in the bottom third of CUSA. Really no progress. We will be 1-5 very soon. No use even paying attention the next two weeks. We don’t belong in the AAC. Just don’t belong.
That's just utterly ridiculous. We make a bowl easily the last 3 years, probably 5 of the last 6 in C-USA.

Why can't we run a modern college offense? This offense is ridiculous when you don't run the option with it...Let's put 3 in the pass patterns ...it's Price/Toldeoish.
And this staff is way too FCS, way too insular.
I knew we were in trouble when they are doing body surfing after beating Nicholls State.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I am absolutely in disbelief that we lost this game. There’s no way UAB should have won this game, although the did play with much more passion than we did.

I see things from ground level, so it’s hard to tell where the deficiencies were, but it seems very similar to last year - people dare us to pass. We had some great pass plays today, so I’m not sure where the disconnect is - QB, play calling, o-line? All of the above? I did notice on several pass plays, we had only 3 receivers running routes, nobody was open, forcing JB to improves. Also we were running (or connecting) on very few crossing routes. Overall, we did hit on some crossing routes, and some deep routes, just no consistency.

Just baffled and stunned.

Just a FYI - from one of the people at the stadium - this game was at Noon, because Auburn was at 2:30, and Alabama was at night, and they don’t like to play their (UAB) games against those teams. Not sure if I believe that, but it was their story, and it does make sense. Not sure if the timeline of game time decisions lines up.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Tulane should be 3-0 but we’re 1-2 and if there’s a glimmer of hope we’re 1-2 because of Tulane not the opponent. It seems an insurmountable obstacle though.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Wavemania wrote:man. why is everyone so negative? :green wink: This is what happens every year Enjoy
Well at least you got to see that Chase Fourcade wouldn’t be the answer here.
Ha! Look up Rummel’s QB and you’ll know who he’ll be pushing for next.
Apparently Chandler Fields is committed to some school called "Louisiana" according to ESPN
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Chase can carry this Tulane team a lot farther than Banks. That bridge sailed when Fritz had no clue on who to go after at QB his 1st year here. Tulane losing to lowere conference teams is becoming a joke. And in case some of you jackasses wonder why I'm just coming aboard and commenting , I just came from my father-in law's funeral.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wavemania wrote:Chase can carry this Tulane team a lot farther than Banks. That bridge sailed when Fritz had no clue on who to go after at QB his 1st year here. Tulane losing to lowere conference teams is becoming a joke. And in case some of you jackasses wonder why I'm just coming aboard and commenting , I just came from my father-in law's funeral.
Ok Ken. Sorry for your loss
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:Tulane should be 3-0 but we’re 1-2 and if there’s a glimmer of hope we’re 1-2 because of Tulane not the opponent. It seems an insurmountable obstacle though.
Yeah, but for the play of our quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, and the offensive playcalling, we would be 3-0. Super
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:Tulane should be 3-0 but we’re 1-2 and if there’s a glimmer of hope we’re 1-2 because of Tulane not the opponent. It seems an insurmountable obstacle though.
Yeah, but for the play of our quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, and the offensive playcalling, we would be 3-0. Super
Insurmountable.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

Another thing, if you were watching on Facebook, at halftime they did a tour of UAB’s new $22.5 million Football Operations Center and they are building a $175 million Stadium to seat 45,000. Not bad for a program that was dead four years ago. Tulane is so far behind in the facility arms race.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Every time a kid signs with an offer list of nothing but Sun Belt conference schools those who claim to be in the know tell us they are perfect fits for our system. We play in the AAC. You compete in the AAC by getting kids that choose Tulane over other AAC schools. No more “system” guys.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

NJwave wrote:Every time a kid signs with an offer list of nothing but Sun Belt conference schools those who claim to be in the know tell us they are perfect fits for our system. We play in the AAC. You compete in the AAC by getting kids that choose Tulane over other AAC schools. No more “system” guys.
Preach.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

NJwave wrote:Every time a kid signs with an offer list of nothing but Sun Belt conference schools those who claim to be in the know tell us they are perfect fits for our system. We play in the AAC. You compete in the AAC by getting kids that choose Tulane over other AAC schools. No more “system” guys.
You'd think we would sign those if we could. When you see how much guys like Darion Monroe, Jeffrey Johnson, Corey Dauphine, etc stick out above the competition, you see the difference.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

OGSB wrote:
Preach.
Yep
And we pushed out of that to a good extent last season, but we seem right back in it now.
The curse of the long-term contract?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Guerry Smith:
At some point, Tulane is going to win a game like this, right? Right? The Wave was fortunate to be in good position in the fourth quarter, but so many plays could have tipped the balance in its favor. What if Corey Dauphine had not been caught at the ankle on what appeared to be a long TD run? What if Willie Fritz had stuck to his original decision to punt rather than going for it in the first half—he changed his mind after a timeout and UAB returned a Banks fumble for a TD. What if Terren Encalade had not been flagged for an illegal block on Darius Bradwell’s apparent go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter? The what ifs were endless.
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 9a292.html
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Buddy Teevens redux. Lose close games that you should win and play conservatively to keep the games close. 3-9 or 4-8 is probable now. Unacceptable.

For the first time I have serious doubts Fritz is the guy.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

sr wrote:Tulane looking ahead … ?
No not really. Just underestamating their opponent. And it IS the coaches job to see that doesn't happen. Anyway, a 3.5 favorite has no buisness ever looking past an opponent. It is basically a tossup game. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"