34 point dogs

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: 34 point dogs

Post by Baywave1 »

Interesting that I didn't see anyone applaud our OOC MBB schedule this year but now there's some who want us to schedule football like that.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's tempting to want to "schedule for wins." It would be nice to get a couple of 8-4 records under our belt to help change the aura around the program. Then you ramp up the scheduling. The problem with that is, the majority of our opportunities for wins come against the AAC in conference play. It doesn't do us much good to beat UTEP, Rice, UNLV, and Texas St. only to win one game in conference because we aren't ready to face the level of competition we see in the AAC.

In an ideal world, maybe we stop playing OSU, OU, Auburn, etc. and exchange them for a Baylor, Vanderbilt, UNC, Virginia, etc. Those teams, like Wake, we should be able to play with and beat some percentage of the time. Maybe we play 2 competitive P5s every other year and a solid MWC team in place of a P5 the other years. The rest of the schedule, FCS and a CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC seems fine.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's tempting to want to "schedule for wins." It would be nice to get a couple of 8-4 records under our belt to help change the aura around the program. Then you ramp up the scheduling. The problem with that is, the majority of our opportunities for wins come against the AAC in conference play. It doesn't do us much good to beat UTEP, Rice, UNLV, and Texas St. only to win one game in conference because we aren't ready to face the level of competition we see in the AAC.

In an ideal world, maybe we stop playing OSU, OU, Auburn, etc. and exchange them for a Baylor, Vanderbilt, UNC, Virginia, etc. Those teams, like Wake, we should be able to play with and beat some percentage of the time. Maybe we play 2 competitive P5s every other year and a solid MWC team in place of a P5 the other years. The rest of the schedule, FCS and a CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC seems fine.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:It's tempting to want to "schedule for wins." It would be nice to get a couple of 8-4 records under our belt to help change the aura around the program. Then you ramp up the scheduling. The problem with that is, the majority of our opportunities for wins come against the AAC in conference play. It doesn't do us much good to beat UTEP, Rice, UNLV, and Texas St. only to win one game in conference because we aren't ready to face the level of competition we see in the AAC.

You can say that again
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

The age old conundrum. Dumb down the schedule and nobody comes. Make the schedule more appropriate to AAC membership and we lay eggs and then nobody comes.

Maybe He Who Shall Not Be Named was right.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Playing the likes of Wake/Vandy doesn't pay the bills. We didn't schedule the OSU game to win (though I'm sure all involved thought that would be nice), we did it for the money. We've made substantial increases in the budget of our athletic department (coaches salaries, for one) and at some point there's a limit on the subsidy from the university.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

ml wave wrote:Playing the likes of Wake/Vandy doesn't pay the bills. We didn't schedule the OSU game to win (though I'm sure all involved thought that would be nice), we did it for the money. We've made substantial increases in the budget of our athletic department (coaches salaries, for one) and at some point there's a limit on the subsidy from the university.
Absolutely. As much as it sucks, there's a very good reason to play OSU. Nobody here would feel bad if we were 3-0 or even 2-1 heading into this game.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:Playing the likes of Wake/Vandy doesn't pay the bills. We didn't schedule the OSU game to win (though I'm sure all involved thought that would be nice), we did it for the money. We've made substantial increases in the budget of our athletic department (coaches salaries, for one) and at some point there's a limit on the subsidy from the university.
Exactly. This single game pays the salary of several assistants, and/or allows bumps in salaries of quite a few assistants.

I may be imagining things but I feel like Dannen has said he intentionally is scheduling one "purely for pay" game against a big opponent for the simple reason of budget.

I remember getting a call from a student-athlete after the review back in 2003 saying that Tulane needed to raise another $2M or $3M for athletics because the school was not going to subsidize that much. Think about it this way: the Ohio State game gives us darn near $2M alone.

Until we get in a conference with a "P5"-type TV contract, it makes sense to play these games. It funds a lot of stuff.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Exactly. This single game pays the salary of several assistants, and/or allows bumps in salaries of quite a few assistants.

I may be imagining things but I feel like Dannen has said he intentionally is scheduling one "purely for pay" game against a big opponent for the simple reason of budget.

I remember getting a call from a student-athlete after the review back in 2003 saying that Tulane needed to raise another $2M or $3M for athletics because the school was not going to subsidize that much. Think about it this way: the Ohio State game gives us darn near $2M alone.

Until we get in a conference with a "P5"-type TV contract, it makes sense to play these games. It funds a lot of stuff.
I have heard him say that we scheduled OSU and Auburn strictly for the money but that we wouldn't be doing so in the future. That was a couple years ago though, so who knows?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I have heard him say that we scheduled OSU and Auburn strictly for the money but that we wouldn't be doing so in the future. That was a couple years ago though, so who knows?
He reiterated it more recently I beleive. Northwestern is not a money game, it's a statement game (meaning we better frick win them)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

He reiterated it more recently I beleive. Northwestern is not a money game, it's a statement game (meaning we better frick win them)
There is definitely a difference between the road warrior/body bag games at OSU and Auburn and the home and home series with NW.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Athletes have no problem playing in one road money game like this year. It's fun to play in front of a big crowd and against the best players. What stinks is doing it more than once a season like some HBCUs and other small programs. That grinds you down for sure.

So long as the team comes out healthy and ready for the rest of the schedule, it's not the end of the world to take a payday game.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

The payout from this game is more than a lot bowl games. It is definitely worth it. The problem now is that Tulane already lost games it was supposed to win.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Season is 1/4 done, 1/6 wasted opportunities.
Victory is never permanent
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

windywave wrote:
I have heard him say that we scheduled OSU and Auburn strictly for the money but that we wouldn't be doing so in the future. That was a couple years ago though, so who knows?[/quote]

He reiterated it more recently I beleive. Northwestern is not a money game, it's a statement game (meaning we better frick win them)[/quote]

Scheduling a top team for a cash payment makes sense almost all the time. There are only two scenarios when it wouldn't pay to do it. If and when that game is the difference between a one-loss and and an undefeated season (meaning a shot at a BCS playoff spot), then, it hurts to take the loss. If it means the difference between and five-win and a six-win season (meaning a bowl bid of any kind), then, it also hurts to take the loss. In no other scenario does it do anything to harm the program. In all scenarios it adds money we desperately need to keep up with the proverbial Joneses.

If we aren't past the concern about the bowl-bid scenario in Year 5 of any coaching regime, for God's sake, fire everybody and grab the extra bottle of whiskey from the back of the liquor cabinet. And when we think the program is on the cusp of a playoff spot, we'll have a pretty good idea about that before we commit to any "body bag" game. (That will be after we're all dead, I'm sure, but think of it hypothetically.)

So do it every year. Take the money. Give the kids the opportunity to see what they should want to achieve for themselves. And give the cadre of road-warrior fans the chance to watch a game at the Big House, or Clemson, or Athens, or the Coliseum, or Happy Valley, or wherever.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I'm seeing a +37 in some books now. Sharps will pounce on the Wave eventually but maybe not anytime soon. Ticket and money % is still overwhelmingly on an Ohio State
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

To me, this is way too much of a mystery to bet on. I could see OSU resting starters (Bosa, certainly) and Banks pulling out all stops and the game going much like the first half of OU last year, but with OSU winning by only 20-something (never in doubt but close enough the OSU folks show respect after). I could also see it looking something like the FSU games of the early 90s and the deficit being 70-ish. Or anything in-between.

Obviously I'm rooting for the latter, or better, as I have to deal with these arrogant SOBs the rest of the year.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:To me, this is way too much of a mystery to bet on. I could see OSU resting starters (Bosa, certainly) and Banks pulling out all stops and the game going much like the first half of OU last year, but with OSU winning by only 20-something (never in doubt but close enough the OSU folks show respect after). I could also see it looking something like the FSU games of the early 90s and the deficit being 70-ish. Or anything in-between.

Obviously I'm rooting for the latter, or better, as I have to deal with these arrogant SOBs the rest of the year.
The former you mean?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Wave Revival wrote: The problem now is that Tulane already lost games it was supposed to win.
This

I always expected to get killed. I didn't expect to go into the game feeling like the season was already almost over. That sours ones mood about watching us get killed
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I think of Saturday as a roadside wreck that I will be unable to look away from.

I probably didn’t need a reserved seat for Homecoming. There will be ten thousand to choose from.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Give the points
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:To me, this is way too much of a mystery to bet on. I could see OSU resting starters (Bosa, certainly) and Banks pulling out all stops and the game going much like the first half of OU last year, but with OSU winning by only 20-something (never in doubt but close enough the OSU folks show respect after). I could also see it looking something like the FSU games of the early 90s and the deficit being 70-ish. Or anything in-between.

The former you mean?
Oh, heh, yeah. My brain was thinking former while my fingers typed latter.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Sounds suspiciously like what many of us have postulated in the past few days... No more playing to not get hurt.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:

The former you mean?
Oh, heh, yeah. My brain was thinking former while my fingers typed latter.
I just hope we keep their score to double digits :shock:

77-7 wouldn’t surprise me at all
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson