bench Banks

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

bench Banks

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

not just because of his regression and pitiful performance today.. but also for talking down an opponent and failing to back up his smack

from now on, all players should be off limits to the media except for post games
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: bench Banks

Unread post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
from now on, all players should be off limits to the media except for post games
Ala Saban
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

We knew he wasn't a rockstar, but he played pretty well at the end of last year and the hope was he was still picking up the Fritz offense. I remember hearing how we'd simplified the playbook for him. So the thought was that we'd come out this year with him unleashing the full playbook and our offense would be a beast.

This year his decisions have been poor and he seems to be overwhelmed by stuff he was able to do last year. I'm wondering if we opened the full playbook and it's too much for him to handle. Like, some guys, when you put too many decisions on their shoulders, they think too much instead of just playing. Maybe that's what is happening.

Regardless, it's pretty clear that we have no improved from last year. We've potentially regressed.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

He needs to stop running 20 yards backwards every other play.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

I have never been of the opinion that Banks was the answer @ QB for the Wave. That opinion was backed up today...again.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Fan Since '54 wrote:I have never been of the opinion that Banks was the answer @ QB for the Wave. That opinion was backed up today...again.

FS'54
Bless you Mr Churchill
Victory is never permanent
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

For whatever reason the staff has essentially neutered Banks. Everything he did well for us last year to help us win games they have taken away. He hardly ever keeps the ball on zone reads or option plays anymore . They have obviously told him to stay in the pocket and not run so he can avoid hits. Oline pass protected pretty well today but he held the ball for so darn long. He could have easily scrambled for chunk plays. Middle of field wide open. But he just stays in pocket so long. Instead of turning up field when plays break down he keeps running backward or sideways to try and make a play with his arm when he should be making a play with feet.

The thing he does the worst is operate out of pocket and go thru progressions and that is what we have him doing. He is playing tentative which I think has lead to all the short throws.

Staff needs to figure this out quick.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

Wait until after Ohio St and then bench him. Might as well see what we have behind him and gain valuable experience for next year.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Plus, when he decides to throw deep, he winds up and takes forever to release. If you take that long to wind up, you need to make decisions faster
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Bham Wave wrote:For whatever reason the staff has essentially neutered Banks. Everything he did well for us last year to help us win games they have taken away. He hardly ever keeps the ball on zone reads or option plays anymore . They have obviously told him to stay in the pocket and not run so he can avoid hits. Oline pass protected pretty well today but he held the ball for so darn long. He could have easily scrambled for chunk plays. Middle of field wide open. But he just stays in pocket so long. Instead of turning up field when plays break down he keeps running backward or sideways to try and make a play with his arm when he should be making a play with feet.

The thing he does the worst is operate out of pocket and go thru progressions and that is what we have him doing. He is playing tentative which I think has lead to all the short throws.

Bham Wave, great observation. He has been drilled not to get hurt. Again, that is on Fritz. Lack of recruiting QB’s and letting Brantley get away has clearly led to this thinking. Our offense from a passing standpoint is also so vanilla. Four guys caught passes today. Mooney with 4, and Encalade, Toles, and Clewis with one each. No TE or RB caught a pass. What about some of the other WR’s he has recruited. Do we ever spread the field?

I expected us to be poor on defense given the youth of the front four, but I didn’t expect almost zero pressure unless we blitz. We are just a bad team. No identity, no impact players except for a RB who ran track last year and is now out of shape. When does baseball fall games start?
visualmagic
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Bham Wave wrote:For whatever reason the staff has essentially neutered Banks. Everything he did well for us last year to help us win games they have taken away. He hardly ever keeps the ball on zone reads or option plays anymore . They have obviously told him to stay in the pocket and not run so he can avoid hits. Oline pass protected pretty well today but he held the ball for so darn long. He could have easily scrambled for chunk plays. Middle of field wide open. But he just stays in pocket so long. Instead of turning up field when plays break down he keeps running backward or sideways to try and make a play with his arm when he should be making a play with feet.

Bham Wave, great observation. He has been drilled not to get hurt. Again, that is on Fritz. Lack of recruiting QB’s and letting Brantley get away has clearly led to this thinking. Our offense from a passing standpoint is also so vanilla. Four guys caught passes today. Mooney with 4, and Encalade, Toles, and Clewis with one each. No TE or RB caught a pass. What about some of the other WR’s he has recruited. Do we ever spread the field?

I expected us to be poor on defense given the youth of the front four, but I didn’t expect almost zero pressure unless we blitz. We are just a bad team. No identity, no impact players except for a RB who ran track last year and is now out of shape. When does baseball fall games start?
Not sure that’s something that we can look forward to any more.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Visual, baseball will be Dannen’s first winning team since he has been here unless basketball rolls through their NAIA pre-conference schedule.
visualmagic
President's Circle

You’re probably right but I think we might have to wait until the 2020 season for that.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

So can McMillan run the option? Banks is mobile but he can’t do the option very well apparently.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

tjtlja wrote:Visual, baseball will be Dannen’s first winning team since he has been here unless basketball rolls through their NAIA pre-conference schedule.

Dannen was signed on as Tulane's AD in December '15. Tulane had a winning baseball team in 2016.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Give Dickson the credit for that one.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Visual, baseball will be Dannen’s first winning team since he has been here unless basketball rolls through their NAIA pre-conference schedule.

Dannen was signed on as Tulane's AD in December '15. Tulane had a winning baseball team in 2016.

Fan since '54
Dannen doesn't deserve any credit for that just like he doesn't deserve any blame for the basketball season from December 2015 - March 2016
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

What about the USM transfer? Not this year obviously, but can he run the option?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Yes bench Banks and ALL of our problems are solved. There's too many problems to know where to begin.
We deserve so much better
TXWave88
Navigator Level

Unread post by TXWave88 »

Bench the coaches. If a player can lose a starting poisition after a bad game, so should the coaches as that was a joke of a coaching perfomance today. Defense looked like a bunch of missed assignments. Offenseive playcalling is so limited. Never seen a screen, a crossing route, only glimpses of creative run plays. Hell, we saw UAB pull half their line on us all day meanwhile we run the same 3 running plays all game. Once we run a 4th, we gain big but never run it again. I dont think Banks runs the option very well, but we are successful for a gain of 5+ yards on it the majority of the time. We ran it maybe teice today and Mooney scored on it from 10+ yards out. Just an example but cant believe we are paying what we pay for this staff if they deliver this product. And yes i wont blame them for Banks awful performance but seems we are putting him in tough situations with bad game plans and playcalling.
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Unread post by speckled trout »

Poor QB play is one of our biggest problems. Banks completed a grand total of 7 passes today.... Woof.

We're not winning 4 games with that kind of performance. At this point we might as well give McMillan a shot, Dane Ledford, anyone we have on the roster. It seems that besides the later part of last season we haven't improved at all in 3 years
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

This !
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

StPeteWave wrote:[quote="Bham Wave”]

This ![/quote][/quote][/quote]
And here is your answer. He is not a true QB. Any decent Qb at the FBS level can do this. I have hopes Howard can be this guy.

On top of suspect QB recruiting, what type of QB coaching have we seen under CWF. The answer is zilch. We haven’t kept them and they don’t seem to get better.

Our offense isn’t the type should require QBs years to learn. It isn’t a WCO. It’s closer to plug and play.

That said I think the o-line coaching is competent. The running backs are fine. The receivers are ok.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote:

Obviously the decision to have him avoid hits was made well before learning the QB depth would get help. The problem is that, as discussed, he’s also not a good pocket passer and his awareness isn’t there when he’s standing still. Nearly every pass play should be a roll out with an option to run if the pass isn’t there. Also allows him to throw it away easier if he has to.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
USM3613
Senior

Unread post by USM3613 »

OGSB wrote:What about the USM transfer? Not this year obviously, but can he run the option?
Yes, he can run the read option, but he can't throw.