Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St 49 Tulane 6
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:17 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
The BS move against Kennedy (which I saw on social media after the game, of course it wasn't replayed in the stadium) ought to bring a suspension or something.

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

Both can be true at the same time: Tulane got mowed down in a game we had no business winning. Tulane never quit on this game. A CJ or Toledo team would've lost 77-3. It's a fact. We aren't being represented by quitters any more. Appreciate that much or find something to do that actually makes you happy on Saturday afternoons.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:23 pm 
Coach Level

1309th WAVE wrote:
Both can be true at the same time: Tulane got mowed down in a game we had no business winning. Tulane never quit on this game. A CJ or Toledo team would've lost 77-3. It's a fact. We aren't being represented by quitters any more. Appreciate that much or find something to do that actually makes you happy on Saturday afternoons.

Not being quitters is the absolute bare minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:

Not being quitters is the absolute bare minimum.

Gotta start somewhere chief! I know patience is wearing thin, and people have every right in the world to do that. I'm just trying to offer perspective. If it falls on deaf ears, well, what did I honestly expect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:27 pm 
Navigator Level

ok, no quitters. check, we got that.

at some point you gotta give the wave a lifeline. a productive offense or players that can execute your scheme.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 pm 
Navigator Level

DrHullabaloo wrote:
ok, no quitters. check, we got that.

at some point you gotta give the wave a lifeline. a productive offense or players that can execute your scheme.

There is always sailing.......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:58 pm 
President's Circle

Our talent level is no where near what it was when Fritz took over. There are no Tanzel Smart’s, Nico Marley’s, Parry Nickerson’s, Marbley’s, Tanner Lee (yes, Tanner Lee), etc. For the second game in a row, only four kids caught passes and none of them were RB’s or TE’s. Our WR depth is so depleted. We have no identity on offense. With our RB’s, we could be competitive if we had a QB that could run some sort of zone read. Why hasn’t Fritz landed a QB that can do what he wants. Option QB’s are not hard to find. There are only three teams in the country that run that damn offense. Hell, Army is trailing Oklahoma 21-14 at half. This team and athletic department are a mess, but at least we got a payday. Yeah!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
Our talent level is no where near what it was when Fritz took over. There are no Tanzel Smart’s, Nico Marley’s, Parry Nickerson’s, Marbley’s, Tanner Lee (yes, Tanner Lee), etc. For the second game in a row, only four kids caught passes and none of them were RB’s or TE’s. Our WR depth is so depleted. We have no identity on offense. With our RB’s, we could be competitive if we had a QB that could run some sort of zone read. Why hasn’t Fritz landed a QB that can do what he wants. Option QB’s are not hard to find. There are only three teams in the country that run that damn offense. Hell, Army is trailing Oklahoma 21-14 at half. This team and athletic department are a mess, but at least we got a payday. Yeah!!!

We probably dont have anyone as good as Tanzel or Parry but I dont think the talent disparity throughout the roster is that big.

Our offense does lack identity. Option QB's are easy to find, it feels like Navy has no less than 3 of them at a time. We dont really run the option. Is that because we cant get a QB to run it or is there another reason?

I like our RB's but when Dauphine can only handle 6 carries a game and Huderson is getting 2.5 yards per carry, we need to be able to throw the ball too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 pm 
Navigator Level

I couldn’t watch the game, didn’t follow it. From what I gather, Ohio St scored touchdowns on their first six possessions before Meyer called off the dogs? We couldn’t even make it competitive for a little while like we did at Oklahoma?

Now we see the gap between the best in college football and Tulane. We have an FCS athletic director and an FCS coaching staff. But Tulane’s Angry Wave Truck is the coolest in the country.

Meanwhile, Old Dominion, which just got started in division 1 football defeated #13 Virginia Tech and Army is tied with Oklahoma in the fourth quarter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:03 pm 
President's Circle

Wave Revival wrote:
I couldn’t watch the game, didn’t follow it. From what I gather, Ohio St scored touchdowns on their first six possessions before Meyer called off the dogs? We couldn’t even make it competitive for a little while like we did at Oklahoma?

Now we see the gap between the best in college football and Tulane. We have an FCS athletic director and an FCS coaching staff. But Tulane’s Angry Wave Truck is the coolest in the country.

Meanwhile, Old Dominion, which just got started in division 1 football defeated #13 Virginia Tech and Army is tied with Oklahoma in the fourth quarter.

LSU is beating la tech 24-21 in the 4th

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
Wave Revival wrote:

LSU is beating la tech 24-21 in the 4th

31-21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 pm 
Coach Level

La Tech is better than us and there’s no excuse for that

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:25 pm 
Emerald Circle

An amusing side part of the game was seeing WaveProf, windywave, DrHullabaloo, and a smattering of other board members all sitting within about 15 feet of each other and not knowing who each other are (okay, well, DrHullabaloo and prof know each other) . :lol:

It was nice meeting those others of you I did meet... MNalum, GSx, greenaub (and the van Hooser boys, fine gentlemen as I expected), tulane49, and others I know I'm forgetting...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:41 pm 
Breaker Level

Was this butt wipping worth 1.8 million. I don't think we gained 1 extra fan nor impressed 1 top recruit with this performance. This was a game between two division 1 programs . One that is always good and one that is always bad. Ohio State is in the top tier of division 1 and we are at the very bottom . They beat us like the rented win we are. The sad part is that this is properly the best team that we have had in the last 15 to 20 years and we could not compete against their 1st unit. The good part I guess is that we can compete with their 2nd unit. Very sad. rjc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:55 pm 
President's Circle

I think it is worth playing 2-3 of these games a year. We will never win any of them, we won’t gain recruits regardless of who we play and beat, we won’t add any new fans regardless of who we play and beat, we average about 1.8 winning seasons per decade, so take the damn money and run. Putting $5.5M in the coffers each year would be a tremendous consolation prize, if not the grand prize. If you can’t beat them join them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:33 pm 
Breaker Level

olivengreen wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:

This has got to be one of the biggest loser post ever. 77-3.... 49-6..... really.... Ohio st had their 2nd string qb in before halftime. Man... trophies for all!

I don't see the problem with 1309's post. Yes Ohio State kicked the shiht out of us and it was never even a competitive game, but everyone knew that would happen. However, it`s important to stay positive somehow, even when there is no reason for optimism. The alternative is to just accept that we are bad and will be lucky to finish 4-8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 pm 
Navigator Level

olivengreen wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:

This has got to be one of the biggest loser post ever. 77-3.... 49-6..... really.... Ohio st had their 2nd string qb in before halftime. Man... trophies for all!

Yep. Truly sad that we have coaches, administrators and fans that are celebrating hanging with their second string. Pathetic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:57 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
olivengreen wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:

Yep. Truly sad that we have coaches, administrators and fans that are celebrating hanging with their second string. Pathetic.

I haven't seen anyone celebrating that

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:30 pm 
Navigator Level

olivengreen wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
olivengreen wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:

I haven't seen anyone celebrating that

Then you are a GDI.

The simple fact that this board had to lock the OSU GAME thread shows what type of fans are on this page. I love how roller can come on here and say his crap then lock the thread and he like most others on here aren't man enough to say stuff to any poster face to face. You all are all cowards....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 pm 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
La Tech is better than us and there’s no excuse for that

Old Dominion is better than Tulane.
Let that sink in for a minute. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:51 am 
President's Circle

I was at the game and regret not meeting some of you. We got to the stadium shortly before game time.

I’m really disappointed in Fritz. Nothing we could have done would make up for the talent difference but we continue play not to lose. From deferring to the second half, no trick plays and never going for it on fourth down we continue to play traditional football. Take some chances. There was nothing to lose today. Go onside kick after the score, run a flea flicker or just do something that says it isn’t just a pay day.

It’s the same complaint I had when we punted 3 times inside the 35 against Wake. You can’t change a culture without taking chances and showing your players you will do anything to try and win. I hate to say this, but Fritz is just another coach that thinks you can win by playing fundamentally sound football and doing what is considered smart football. He is afraid to take chances even in a game that calls for it.

We don’t have the players to compete and a coach that doesn’t have the guts to take chances.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:32 am 
Regent's Circle

To compete on final score, Tulane needed OSU first string offense to slump and play flawed while less talented Tulane played flawlessly. Didn't happen.

After watching Haskins, I can see why Burrow left. Just think. He has QB'd LSU to a current undefeated top ten ranking with two wins against top ten teams away from Tiger stadium. Meanwhile he would barely have sniffed the field this year at OSU absent injury, if he had stayed.

If anything, Meyer/staff controversy including the coaching suspension may simply have spurred an unfocused Goliath. The cliché toast is "Confusion to the enemy." That didn't happen either. No distractions to OSU's performance this month. Reprise of the success of the Bronx Zoo, I guess.

Meanwhile ODU beat Top 15 Virginia Tech today as a 28 point dog. You still have to play the game.

On to conference play. Tulane needs a winning AAC record to make it to post season. Start of that trek is Friday at Yulman against Memphis. See you there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:17 am 
Navigator Level

Great to see you and the fam Prof! I said hello to MNalum and to Pete and to GreenAub, and to Slidell Wave and a few others who I don’t think post here anymore after getting banned during one of jts’ many Great Purges.

I was glad to see Big Mike and so many Greenbackers make the trip.

There were also some football alumni Xavier Rush and Stephen Suchy. The Suchy clan hails from Cleveland and so they brought 30 family members.

I regret not making my way down to take a selfie with Roch Hontas though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:52 am 
Navigator Level

P.S. I will no longer complain about crappy concessions customer service at Yulman. I didn’t realize how great we have it. Ohio State’s was the worst officially. No beer sales after the half, and it takes a quarter to get through the lines for the food concessions. Forget trying to get a fountain soda.

Oklahoma had 86,000 people in attendance and service wasn’t such a disaster. I guess 100k is the threshold on diminishing returns of fan experience.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:22 am 
Emerald Circle

Great seeing you too Dr H

I concur about the concessions, except I do like stopping beer sales at half instead of 3rd qtr, and I will say there was no concession wait starting at the beginning of qtr 3 (which does NOT excuse how long the wait was in the first half). A concessions lady gave me a 50% off voucher when I walked up in 3rd qtr (which was nice), but nothing excuses the long lines in first half. Also, away game themed food for sale: Cajun hamburger with “crawfish gumbo” on top and “jalapeño cheese”

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next