Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 pm 
Regent's Circle

We need to win five of eight to reach a bowl game.. the goal set out by this staff at the beginning of the season

Anything short and there needs to be a serious sit down in December and a conversation needs to be had about 1) ditching this bullshiat offense or 2) moving on

as Windy said.. after year three, no more Mary Poppins

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

Mary frick Poppins thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:59 pm 
Navigator Level

We are so screwed. McMillan is not ready for prime time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
We are so screwed. McMillan is not ready for prime time.

He was frew you should be happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:03 pm 
Coach Level

Johnny Mac wrote:
We need to win five of eight to reach a bowl game.. the goal set out by this staff at the beginning of the season

Anything short and there needs to be a serious sit down in December and a conversation needs to be had about 1) ditching this bullshiat offense or 2) moving on

If the offense continues to look like this, I hope we look for a new OC with a new offense.
Do y’all think Fritz will do it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

If the offense continues to look like this, I hope we look for a new OC with a new offense.

What's the buyout versus annual?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:07 pm 
Coach Level

The buyout for Fritz? Not sure and I’d be shocked if he got fired.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Fritz seems to be the type to go down with his ship. He would probably quit before firing 'his guy' who tore it up against texas southern and whoever else.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:17 am 
Emerald Circle

The offense isn’t the problem. Play calling, recruiting, and discipline are....

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:32 am 
Emerald Circle

And execution. Pitching when he should have kept (and vice versa), retreating when protection breaks down when lots of green in front. Dropped passes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 am 
Regent's Circle

When things go good, the coach is leaving. Why would he stay? When they go bad, it's what's the buyout? This has more than a whisp of Ellender redux of 1974 and 1975. Some people actually wonder why so few coaches have loyalty to their current employer. It's simply that the peasants always have the pitchforks at hand. The only issue is are they sheathed or unsheathed today before we go chase Frankenstein and his monster?

Thus it was was. Thus it ever will be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:52 am 
President's Circle

It's like the backup QB being the most popular guy in town. Until he has to play!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45 am 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Zero chance, imo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:49 am 
Navigator Level

gerryb323 wrote:
It's like the backup QB being the most popular guy in town. Until he has to play!

This. Didn't McMillan go in on Saturday and he promptly got sacked.

Oy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am 
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

This. Didn't McMillan go in on Saturday and he promptly got sacked.

Oy

He completed a nice pass his first couple of plays and looked reasonably good doing it. He got sacked after the first down and petered out after that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:19 am 
Coach Level

Didn't want to start a new thread for this . . . game time for UC on 06 Oct announced today - 11:00 AM Central, ESPN2 or ESPNU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:09 pm 
Navigator Level

Forget all of this speculation about Fritz leaving or getting canned if he doesn't replace his offensive coordinator. Perhaps I have a higher tolerance for losing football games that many of the rest of you, but under Fritz we're in almost all games except against top-10 teams, like Ohio State. That was not the case under CJ or Toledo. I do believe that the trend line for recruiting better talent is more-or-less positive. I wish we were beating LSU or Va Tech, like Troy and Old Dominion did, but I prefer to think of the Tulane job like the Va Tech job when Beamer started there.

We have a long way to go this year, a lot of games for us to win. I'm willing to give Fritz 5 years given what I've seen so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

Private Joker wrote:
Forget all of this speculation about Fritz leaving or getting canned if he doesn't replace his offensive coordinator. Perhaps I have a higher tolerance for losing football games that many of the rest of you, but under Fritz we're in almost all games except against top-10 teams, like Ohio State. That was not the case under CJ or Toledo. I do believe that the trend line for recruiting better talent is more-or-less positive. I wish we were beating LSU or Va Tech, like Troy and Old Dominion did, but I prefer to think of the Tulane job like the Va Tech job when Beamer started there.

We have a long way to go this year, a lot of games for us to win. I'm willing to give Fritz 5 years given what I've seen so far.
”You go from losing big to losing close then eventually you learn to start winning close games then You start winning big”- Bob Toledo

We are seeing the “lose close” stage of the Toledo plan. I agree we look better in games now than in the recent past. The OSU score was closer than I expected and as I told someone after the game, we used to lose conference games by that much.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

”You go from losing big to losing close then eventually you learn to start winning close games then You start winning big”- Bob Toledo

We are seeing the “lose close” stage of the Toledo plan. I agree we look better in games now than in the recent past. The OSU score was closer than I expected and as I told someone after the game, we used to lose conference games by that much.
What should tip you off that that quote is dumb is the name behind it...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:53 pm 
Coach Level

waverider wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

If we had to play Central Florida we might lose a conference game by that much this year.
Ohio St called of the dogs, they could have scored 70 if they wanted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

If we had to play Central Florida we might lose a conference game by that much this year.

Hate to say it, but there are a couple on our schedule that could. (Well, I guess they all could if we don’t play well.)

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

Hey Vis - you got that 70 from where?? Keep it real - 49 is the number. Yeah bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm 
Coach Level

sr wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

Hey Vis - you got that 70 from where?? Keep it real - 49 is the number. Yeah bad.

I got that from watching them score like 6 TD’s on 6 possessions in the 1st half. Then they took out Haskins and presumably many other starters. If they leave Haskins in, they get something around 70.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 pm 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
sr wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
Private Joker wrote:

I got that from watching them score like 6 TD’s on 6 possessions in the 1st half. Then they took out Haskins and presumably many other starters. If they leave Haskins in, they get something around 70.

... but they didn't, did they? Maybe they would have scored one more TD - who says they score three? Big deal. 49 is 49 after 4 quarters. You want 70 - keep dreaming - didn't happen and you cannot tell me it would have happened. You don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:33 pm 
Coach Level

It’s much more likely that they’d have scored 70 than just 1 more TD, but this is a really stupid thing to argue over, so I’m not going to continue.