Memphis Game Week

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Memphis Game Week

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Our last win was in 2000.

They beat South Alabama 52-35.

What says you Greenies....
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Memphis Game Week

Unread post by WaveProf »

MUST win
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Admittedly long range forecast is lots and lots of rain Friday afternoon and evening. UGH.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

OSU was an interlude.

This game sets the tone if kindling needs to be gathered.

Not being bowl eligible will annoy me
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:Admittedly long range forecast is lots and lots of rain Friday afternoon and evening. UGH.
Let’s get out of the month of September puh-leeze
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:Admittedly long range forecast is lots and lots of rain Friday afternoon and evening. UGH.
Go back and read the postgame from their Navy loss. Lots of rain is EXACTLY what we need. Memphis literally blamed the loss on the rain, said it took them out of their passing game and game Navy an advantage. Go rain!
Last edited by PeteRasche on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

WaveProf wrote:MUST win
That’s bold
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote:
Go back and read the poatgame from their Navy loss. Lots of rain is EXACTLY what we need. Memphis literally blamed the loss on the rain, said it took them out of their passing game and game Navy an advantage. Go rain!
Yep. I hope it pours all day. That can only help us and hurt them as it did in the Navy game.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Go back and read the poatgame from their Navy loss. Lots of rain is EXACTLY what we need. Memphis literally blamed the loss on the rain, said it took them out of their passing game and game Navy an advantage. Go rain!
Yep. I hope it pours all day. That can only help us and hurt them as it did in the Navy game.
I agree with your logic so I'll bring a poncho and extra towels. A wet W works.

However did either of you guys sit through the UConn loss at Yulman a couple of years ago? If you did, you'll know why I ask.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Our last win was in 2000.

We have lost 11 straight to them. In that time, only once, in 2007 was the game decided by less than a score.

Its year 3. We should be able to beat any team in our conference, even a likely very good team like Memphis. Because of our 1-3 start we should also be playing with increased urgency. If we don't see that and a seriously competitive game then we are in big trouble going forward. I especially want to see something from our coaches, who have really let us down this year imo.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:Our last win was in 2000.

We have lost 11 straight to them. In that time, only once, in 2007 was the game decided by less than a score.

Its year 3. We should be able to beat any team in our conference, even a likely very good team like Memphis. Because of our 1-3 start we should also be playing with increased urgency. If we don't see that and a seriously competitive game then we are in big trouble going forward. I especially want to see something from our coaches, who have really let us down this year imo.
Because of our finish last year we were told all off season that there was an increased urgency. Then actual play started.
Victory is never permanent
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Unread post by speckled trout »

We don't match up well with them (really bold statement there). Their new QB is very good and they have weapons all over the field. Some posters predicted that our secondary would be improved despite losing Parry Nickerson. I LOL'ed.

I will personally do a rain dance and pray for a monsoon, but that might not even help us. We haven't run the ball effectively against FBS competition and it's going to be a struggle when Memphis loads up the box and bows up against the run. On the other hand Memphis could be overrated. Their 3 wins were against Mercer and 2 of the worst teams in the Sun Belt. Also, Navy just lost to SMU so they could be down this year. Best case scenario is terrible conditions and a dogfight, worst case scenario is we get in a shootout. Hopefully we don't get in one of those shootouts where the other team scores a lot of points and we don't.
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
WaveProf
Cornerstone

We don’t match up well, and it’s a game I never considered as having a chance of winning before the season. Memphis’s lackluster play so far has only moved my needle a tiny bit. But losing in Birmingham has consequences. Especially when we lost to Wake. UAB was a should win and Wake a could win. Losing both made Memphis a must win. 1-4 and headed to UC (4-0) w/ Htown, USF, and Navy on the horizon does not = a recipe for bowling.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

WaveProf wrote:...and Wake a could win.
The way the game actually went down made it a should win. Fritz said after UAB, we're making plays to be in games but not to win games. The shrinking away when the win is there has to stop.
Victory is never permanent
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Unread post by speckled trout »

OGSB wrote:
The way the game actually went down made it a should win. Fritz said after UAB, we're making plays to be in games but not to win games. The shrinking away when the win is there has to stop.
I don't understand why we melt down so often in critical situations. Is it a mental thing? Coaching?
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
WaveProf
Cornerstone

speckled trout wrote:
OGSB wrote:
I don't understand why we melt down so often in critical situations. Is it a mental thing? Coaching?
A Tulane thing?
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Unread post by GreenHeart »

WaveProf wrote:
speckled trout wrote:
OGSB wrote:
A Tulane thing?
Bad juju.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

GreenHeart wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
speckled trout wrote:
OGSB wrote:
A Tulane thing?
Bad juju.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I agree with your logic so I'll bring a poncho and extra towels. A wet W works.

However did either of you guys sit through the UConn loss at Yulman a couple of years ago? If you did, you'll know why I ask.
That game was a lot of fun :roll:

If it rains it will be over by game time. Maybe they’ll be slowed by the sloppy field :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:If it rains it will be over by game time. Maybe they’ll be slowed by the sloppy field :wink:
1. I hope you mean the rain will be over and not the game. 2. Those bringing up the UConn game... Are you really judging how we'll handle rain based on a game several years ago with completely different players and a completely different coaching staff? I hope not.
3. Seriously, google the Memphis newspaper about their game against Navy. They literally blamed the rain because they rely on their passing attack so much and said they couldn't do it in the rain. It struck me so much that I commented on it in the week one thread in the AAC subforum.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

In order to win in the AAC, you need a QB, talent, talent, coaching, and a great home field advantage. What that in mind, I ask -

1. Do we have a QB that can carry a team (we literally need him to carry us)?
2. Do we have talent? Do we have a Smart, Marley, Nickerson, Lee, Hilliard, Marley, Franklin, Aruna, Wilson, or Diaz?
3. Can WF out scheme most coaches in the AAC? Can he get the most out of his team? Where does he rank league wide on game day?
4. Do we have a home field advantage?

My answers would be -
1. With this offense, and the way we call plays, we don’t have a QB that can carry us. The play calling doesn’t allow us to utilize the talent we have. Our strength is our RB’s and best fits our OL personnel. If we could run option, it we really help. But since we can’t, we are stuck. Our WR depth is nonexistent. We have not completed a pass to our RB’s or TE’s in two games. How many passes did the Saints complete today to RB’s or TE’s? Banks cannot carry us with all these limitations.
2. Talent level is down. We have Dauphine, but he only touches the ball 6-7 times a game. He should be getting 25 touches per game - in both the running game and passing game - sort of like Kamara. Mooney and Encalade are very good, but either our QB or OL will not hold their end of the bargain. And I have no clue what we have at TE. Defensively, our talent level is not as good across the board. And our DL is so young.
3. Coaching - huge question mark. I don’t think we have adapted at all to the personnel we have on offense. Defensively, we can not allow 5 and 7 step drops with zero pressure. Our coach could do himself a favor and watch what Tulsa does. Undermanned, but bring pressure from all over. We cannot play this base crap and get away with it. There is no longer a Smart, Wilson, and Aruna on the DL.
4. Home field advantage - no way.

It does start this week, but we need to improve in so many areas both on the bench and the field. I just don’t see it and I hope I am wrong. We need to win so badly this year.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

There will be postgame fireworks this Friday. In the event Memphis should win, these are not celebratory fireworks.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

How is it that we got more pressure on the OSU quarterback then we did UAB ??
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Lordy, another fireworks controversy.

If I were as superstitious as Rick Jones, I'd bury the "ineffective" fireworks along with the "ineffective" all blue uniforms.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Lordy, another fireworks controversy.

If I were as superstitious as Rick Jones, I'd bury the "ineffective" fireworks along with the "ineffective" all blue uniforms.
Don’t forget that Jobu needs a chicken.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium