4. Ohio State(no huddle)

Memphis
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_0YutrmK94[/youtube]

Cincinnati

SMU

Tulsa

USF
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbf6xn0OWI&t=1583s[/youtube]

Last edited by Poseidon on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 pm 
Breaker Level

Alright I have rules questions about the OSU game that I was hoping the video replay would answer:

1. 23:24 kickoff to begin the first half
- fair catch is called. It bounces once and then we pick it up and run. We are given posession on the 9 yard line instead of the 25. The announcer say he had a knee down when he fielded it, which is why it was placed at the spot. So I guess the fact it bounced whad nothing to do with it. However when looking at the play, he backs up, catches the ball, then starts running. At no time does it appear he could have had a knee down. Can anyone that saw this on tv explain?

2. 25:18 (Illegal?) forward pass
Tate Martell clearly runs past the line of scrimmage. He then backs up and throws a horizontal pitch that is also clearly forward. After the review the referee says the call on the field of a "completed forward pass," stands. I'm curious what the announcers said. Is this just another instance of boths the refs on the field and in the review booth blowing the call? It really doesn't make sense.

I always give the officiating the benefit of the doubt so would like to first assume their is a legitimate reason for these calls if anyone knows the answer. Of course, they could be just bad calls. Both were strange plays.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm 
Breaker Level

Not going to watch 1,3, and 4 :oops:

Game 2 was pretty nice. Our only complete game of the season albeit against an overmatched opponent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:38 pm 
Cornerstone

Johnny4 wrote:
...2. 25:18 (Illegal?) forward pass
Tate Martell clearly runs past the line of scrimmage. He then backs up and throws a horizontal pitch that is also clearly forward. After the review the referee says the call on the field of a "completed forward pass," stands. I'm curious what the announcers said. Is this just another instance of boths the refs on the field and in the review booth blowing the call? It really doesn't make sense...
Even more, he was over the line of scrimmage when he tossed it, so it was still an illegal pass. I think the reviewers merely checked whether the ball was thrown forward or backward (which was immaterial since it was caught and advanced) in confirming that it was "a completed forward pass."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
Johnny4 wrote:
...2. 25:18 (Illegal?) forward pass
Tate Martell clearly runs past the line of scrimmage. He then backs up and throws a horizontal pitch that is also clearly forward. After the review the referee says the call on the field of a "completed forward pass," stands. I'm curious what the announcers said. Is this just another instance of boths the refs on the field and in the review booth blowing the call? It really doesn't make sense...
Even more, he was over the line of scrimmage when he tossed it, so it was still an illegal pass. I think the reviewers merely checked whether the ball was thrown forward or backward (which was immaterial since it was caught and advanced) in confirming that it was "a completed forward pass."

Concur. Blown call.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 pm 
President's Circle

Johnny4 wrote:
Alright I have rules questions about the OSU game that I was hoping the video replay would answer:

1. 23:24 kickoff to begin the first half
- fair catch is called. It bounces once and then we pick it up and run. We are given posession on the 9 yard line instead of the 25. The announcer say he had a knee down when he fielded it, which is why it was placed at the spot. So I guess the fact it bounced whad nothing to do with it. However when looking at the play, he backs up, catches the ball, then starts running. At no time does it appear he could have had a knee down. Can anyone that saw this on tv explain?

2. 25:18 (Illegal?) forward pass
Tate Martell clearly runs past the line of scrimmage. He then backs up and throws a horizontal pitch that is also clearly forward. After the review the referee says the call on the field of a "completed forward pass," stands. I'm curious what the announcers said. Is this just another instance of boths the refs on the field and in the review booth blowing the call? It really doesn't make sense.

I always give the officiating the benefit of the doubt so would like to first assume their is a legitimate reason for these calls if anyone knows the answer. Of course, they could be just bad calls. Both were strange plays.

You can't advance after fair catch even if it bounces.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

I’m going to watch the OSU game as I hadn’t seen it so thanks for posting those.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

You can get the full Nicholls game off of WatchESPN if you have a television provider login.
This link should work: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3410498

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
I’m going to watch the OSU game as I hadn’t seen it so thanks for posting those.

Masochist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:

Masochist

#3 had my attention until I realized it was the UAB game :wink:

After watching it I feel a little better about the rest of the season.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 pm 
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
That's the old rule. Beginning this year, if you fair-catch a kickoff inside the 20 (or is it the 25?), the ball is placed on the 20 (or is it the 25?). Graf and Barrios talked about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:51 pm 
President's Circle

Roller wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
That's the old rule. Beginning this year, if you fair-catch a kickoff inside the 20 (or is it the 25?), the ball is placed on the 20 (or is it the 25?). Graf and Barrios talked about it.

It's only for a successful catch though. If it bounces it's not a successful catch, therefore dead where touched.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:54 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's the 25. And I saw on Twitter yesterday, something to the effect of: "For any Wave fans considering complaining about us fair catching every kickoff, you should know that so far this year, Ohio State hasn't allowed any opponent who has chosen to run out a kickoff to even get to the 25."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:

Masochist

"A little" or "little"?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
waverider wrote:
windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:

Masochist

"A little" or "little"?

A little. Not a lot, but seeing how we played, even against their 2s, shows we can play with every team left on our schedule who won’t be nearly as big or fast as OSU’s 2 deep.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:56 pm 
Navigator Level

So losing to their second string proves we can win out. Can't wait.Headed to the books in Mississippi right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
So losing to their second string proves we can win out. Can't wait.Headed to the books in Mississippi right now.

You can spin our performance this year negatively very easily. And you can argue that OSU probably made conservative play calls in the second half to "ease in" their backups as far as actual battlefield experience. But you can't deny that OSU second- and even third-stringers are as good or better than probably 85% of the players we'll face in AAC play. OSU literally has the best "on paper, based on recruiting rankings" roster they've ever had in the history of the school. There were probably more 4- and 5-star guys on the field for them in the second half than we've had play for us in the past 15 to 20 years total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:

I mean sure. You can interpret it any way you want. We lost to their first string so make sure to put all your money on us finishing 1-11.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:51 pm 
Navigator Level

The point is that it’s just foolish to judge anything based on the way our first team plays against someone’s backups.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:29 pm 
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote:
The point is that it’s just foolish to judge anything based on the way our first team plays against someone’s backups.
Especially when those "backups" are better than almost anybody's starters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:21 pm 
Navigator Level

Roller wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Especially when those "backups" are better than almost anybody's starters.

We won't know that since they won't be playing a whole half against anyone else. We know what happens when you assume.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:

Since you’re good at putting words in people’s mouths can you just type all of my posts from now on? Will save me a lot of time. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Since you’re good at putting words in people’s mouths can you just type all of my posts from now on? Will save me a lot of time. Thanks!

I'll do it, just need your password SSN and bank information

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I’ll include my credit number and 3 digit code on the back for good measure :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I’ll include my credit number and 3 digit code on the back for good measure :lol:

Perfect