Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 7141
Location: Georgia
Explained...


https://www.greenwaveclub.com/per-seat-home

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:56 am
Posts: 645
Location: Bestbank
If Tulane is asking me to double my donation for tickets to sit in our usual seats for baseball, the least that they can do is figure out how to end the Hot Chocolate Moratorium they currently have in place in Turchin.

We have no foreseeable future Marquee rivalry game, we haven't seen a run at post season play in two seasons, but I gotta double my donation. Mkay.....

My .02


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 7141
Location: Georgia
Attend one of the Town Halls. I am positive a petition for Hot Cocoa will be duly received and given the proper attention it so richly deserves.

Viva la Swiss Miss!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18340
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Hot chocolate. In New Orleans. Tropical New Orleans. What am I missing?

However I did personally see fur parkas on Canal when the December temperature dipped to 55. :lol:

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
Sophomore

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:54 pm
Posts: 8
This Plan makes no sense.
I have 6 season tics for football, 2 for baseball and 2 for basketball - all in priority seating, so I contribute $1500/yr + the cost of the tics. I have had season tics for decades so I have paid a lot of money to support the Wave over the years but I have been subjected to an incredible amount of losing with the exception, usually, of baseball. Under this Plan, the smart people that run Tulane Athletics think they have provided such a great product on the field/court/diamond that they are giving me the incredible opportunity to keep my same seats if and only if I hand over $3000/yr + the cost of the tics, or double my current contribution. It seems like these same smart people at Tulane ought to be able to figure out how to get more butts in the seats without shafting their most loyal supporters?!
So, my choices are to keep all of my seats at double the price - are any of these teams expecting to go undefeated next year?
Or, keep my cost the same by giving up half of my tickets or keep my cost the same by moving to the cheap seats.
I guess there is another viable choice: take this as the insult that this is and take my ball and go home!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2711
Sorry to see you go. We will probably lose others. You should be rewarded for your loyalty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20091
Location: Chicago
diverdo wrote:
This Plan makes no sense.
I have 6 season tics for football, 2 for baseball and 2 for basketball - all in priority seating, so I contribute $1500/yr + the cost of the tics. I have had season tics for decades so I have paid a lot of money to support the Wave over the years but I have been subjected to an incredible amount of losing with the exception, usually, of baseball. Under this Plan, the smart people that run Tulane Athletics think they have provided such a great product on the field/court/diamond that they are giving me the incredible opportunity to keep my same seats if and only if I hand over $3000/yr + the cost of the tics, or double my current contribution. It seems like these same smart people at Tulane ought to be able to figure out how to get more butts in the seats without shafting their most loyal supporters?!
So, my choices are to keep all of my seats at double the price - are any of these teams expecting to go undefeated next year?
Or, keep my cost the same by giving up half of my tickets or keep my cost the same by moving to the cheap seats.
I guess there is another viable choice: take this as the insult that this is and take my ball and go home!


So you have to donate 300 bucls per ticket instead of 150 bucks a ticket? That's 20 bucks a football game and probably less than 5 per for baseball and basketball. Sure it sucks but it's really not that much of an increase per game.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 7141
Location: Georgia
I would buy football, MBB & baseball season tickets if I lived in New Orleans or closer than 250 miles. Hell, I would buy volleyball & WBB season tickets. Yes, the price of my tickets would rise for the big 3 men's sports. Unfortunately, 500+ miles is a haul.

Increased ticket prices and additional charges (donations, seat charges, etc.) are the norms at most schools. Sometimes increasing to the absurd. I guess there comes a time when a fan must decide if the price of tickets is worth the product and the support of the teams, the players and the program.

That is a personal decision. I hope you stay but respect your decision...


ROLL WAVE!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 am 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 981
Location: New Orleans
As a fan who doesn't buy groups of 6+ tickets across multiple sports, this change is going to be a great incentive for me to upgrade my seats. I've avoided the areas that require donations because it felt like the donations were so far out of my price range that it was laughable. But with the new pricing and only buying 2 football season tickets, it means I can afford the upgrade - I'll be donating more than I do now, but the increase will be more like $200/year instead of the $800/year increase it would have been before.

So I understand there are complaints from the crowd who can afford lots of season tickets per year, but this initiative is clearly aimed at fans with fewer resources, and at more casual fans who just don't want to spend that much on it. Let's see if they make some adjustments for those buying in bulk.

_________________
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline
Sophomore

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:54 pm
Posts: 8
The Smart People who run TU Athletics want to offer better deals/seats to the fans (good), get more fans to the games (good) and raise more revenue (good). My guess is the vast majority of fans will not be affected in absolute terms by this plan, i.e., most fans will not want to pay more for better seats so will not be affected. There will some portion, I'll just guess at 10%, that will take advantage of an opportunity to upgrade at a more affordable level. There will be a bigger portion of fans that will get a price reduction on their priority seating tickets (nice!). Then there is a portion, the Smart People at TU Athletics says 6.7%, who will be asked to pay more for their current seats - however they will be paying more because they have been buying more seats so, assuming my 10 season tics over football, basketball and baseball are in the ballpark of being representative, the actual tickets purchased by this 6.7% probably equals 10-20% of the seats. So I hope the light bulb goes off for the Smart People and in their efforts to offer better seats at reduced costs, increase attendance and raise revenue, they do not raise costs and decrease the seats purchased and revenue contributed by a big portion of their most loyal fans.

In another thread one poster suggested bringing back some sort of "Ultimate Fan" package which might work?
Or, some sort of general "hold harmless" process so that no current seat purchaser is disadvantaged by this new Plan?
Can't the Smart People devise a simple way to devise a WIN-WIN-WIN strategy?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2453
or we could insult the people we're asking for help from. that's always good strategery.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:56 am
Posts: 645
Location: Bestbank
Probably any plan they come up with will have a downside and those of us who will complain. The biggest one being trying to bleed a turnip with our WL record.

I agree it’s a great incentive for bringing in casual and new fans to inch up their donations, but they should have tried to grandfather in other fans who have outlayed cash through all of the thin years and buy extra tickets to bring new fans to games.

I’m serious about hot chocolate though. It’s frigging cold in a metal stadium in February and March. It was 50 degrees at French Quarter Fest last spring and we had pipes freeze across the city in January that disrupted hotels and residents. The ingredients are hot water and a packet, I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Especially when we do short away trips to Hammond and Thibodaux and their little rinky dink stadiums manage to purvey hot beverages.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:37 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4360
Location: Wichita
At some point, you would think the fan base (makes it sound bigger) is small enough and dedicated enough that any change like this will only alienate a negligible number of fans. Either that or you do it when demand is so high that people will buy anyway. I know KU just got rid of their loyalty points system and went to a straight per year donation. 50 year ticketholders are very angry, but the demand for the basketball tickets is so high that it ultimately won't matter.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:57 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18340
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
DrHullabaloo wrote:
Probably any plan they come up with will have a downside and those of us who will complain. The biggest one being trying to bleed a turnip with our WL record.

I agree it’s a great incentive for bringing in casual and new fans to inch up their donations, but they should have tried to grandfather in other fans who have outlayed cash through all of the thin years and buy extra tickets to bring new fans to games.

I’m serious about hot chocolate though. It’s frigging cold in a metal stadium in February and March. It was 50 degrees at French Quarter Fest last spring and we had pipes freeze across the city in January that disrupted hotels and residents. The ingredients are hot water and a packet, I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Especially when we do short away trips to Hammond and Thibodaux and their little rinky dink stadiums manage to purvey hot beverages.
I have no doubt the cold is all relative but I still have to snicker. Like I said, I saw parkas on Canal Street when it dropped to 55 in December. :lol:

Maybe a kid could run a hot chocolate stand outside and make a killing.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:03 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4360
Location: Wichita
DrHullabaloo wrote:
I think that Tulane wore their welcome with the casual Ohio area alumni who made the effort to trek to Columbus, who are now not going to invest themselves in another outing with a potential loss so close together.

But as they say: it's better to start somewhere and I too am glad that they are making an effort. Because we have made many away trips where Tulane did nothing. So enjoy the tailgate.

For some reason Tulane doesn't notify THE PARENTS of the players that these tailgates happen and so the parents are left to fend for themselves or just wander around on their own. I remember ONE time when Mary sent an email to the parents about a tailgate and one of the parents showed me the email and said it was the first time in four years they had ever been notified ahead of time about any pre-game activity at an away game.

So Pete: an easy to way to ADD about 80-100 people to your tailgate would be to include the families of our student athletes. It's just a crazy idea.

But, I'm guessing it's a violation to comp them, so maybe they could just crash?

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:07 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:14 am
Posts: 307
Location: East Greenwich, RI
We want to have big time athletics. I think we have labored under the assumption that we will not have to pay for it.

We do not belong to a conf that has a rich tv contract. We are paying a premium for a football coach and big time athletic trappings.

The money has to come from somewhere, and we have a small fan base. Hopefully the “W”s will help build the fan base and donations, but right now you will be asked to shoulder some of the $$$ burden.

I just hope we see some W’s in all 3 men’s sports soon, to justify the support (financial and otherwise) that they need for the Wave to turn the corner!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 9826
Location: Metairie
Trust me snickerdoodle :-D , the odds are far greater that you will FEEL like it’s freezing sitting in Turchin on a mid February night vs a December day on Canal St.!

_________________
[i]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 7141
Location: Georgia
TUPF wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
Probably any plan they come up with will have a downside and those of us who will complain. The biggest one being trying to bleed a turnip with our WL record.

I agree it’s a great incentive for bringing in casual and new fans to inch up their donations, but they should have tried to grandfather in other fans who have outlayed cash through all of the thin years and buy extra tickets to bring new fans to games.

I’m serious about hot chocolate though. It’s frigging cold in a metal stadium in February and March. It was 50 degrees at French Quarter Fest last spring and we had pipes freeze across the city in January that disrupted hotels and residents. The ingredients are hot water and a packet, I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Especially when we do short away trips to Hammond and Thibodaux and their little rinky dink stadiums manage to purvey hot beverages.
I have no doubt the cold is all relative but I still have to snicker. Like I said, I saw parkas on Canal Street when it dropped to 55 in December. :lol:

Maybe a kid could run a hot chocolate stand outside and make a killing.


Image


:green wink:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:11 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2484
Location: Baton Rouge
The most loyal fans don't have a right to anything. Either my father, my grandfather, or I have attended home Tulane games every year since 1935 or earlier. I budget X amount for season tickets and get the most out of my money I can. If they are on the 50, so be it. If they are in the Family Fun Zone, so be it. That's life.

What needs to be brought to the attention of the ticket office is the fact they sell single game tickets in 'Priority Fee Zones' when there are still seats available in non-priority sections. The the sacking of the 120-122 by opposing fans buying single game tickets is black eye on the donation/fee system. The ticket office should instead sell single game tickets 123-125 out before they sell the first ticket in a donation/priority zone.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20667
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I've never desired hot chocolate at a Tulane sporting event, but I will back Dr H up on the idea that not all cold is equal. I grew up in the mountains of Virginia and lived for two years in NYC, and the worst winters of my life, by far, have all been in New Orleans.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 811
Poseidon wrote:
The most loyal fans don't have a right to anything. Either my father, my grandfather, or I have attended home Tulane games every year since 1935 or earlier. I budget X amount for season tickets and get the most out of my money I can. If they are on the 50, so be it. If they are in the Family Fun Zone, so be it. That's life.

What needs to be brought to the attention of the ticket office is the fact they sell single game tickets in 'Priority Fee Zones' when there are still seats available in non-priority sections. The the sacking of the 120-122 by opposing fans buying single game tickets is black eye on the donation/fee system. The ticket office should instead sell single game tickets 123-125 out before they sell the first ticket in a donation/priority zone.


We most certainly have the right to have our loyalty rewarded. This is a two way street. Following your thinking has led to all the empty seats at our athletic events. it is also leading to empty seats at many other stadiums as prices rise. Pure genius.

_________________
Football is here ! Let's Roll!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20091
Location: Chicago
wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
The most loyal fans don't have a right to anything. Either my father, my grandfather, or I have attended home Tulane games every year since 1935 or earlier. I budget X amount for season tickets and get the most out of my money I can. If they are on the 50, so be it. If they are in the Family Fun Zone, so be it. That's life.

What needs to be brought to the attention of the ticket office is the fact they sell single game tickets in 'Priority Fee Zones' when there are still seats available in non-priority sections. The the sacking of the 120-122 by opposing fans buying single game tickets is black eye on the donation/fee system. The ticket office should instead sell single game tickets 123-125 out before they sell the first ticket in a donation/priority zone.


We most certainly have the right to have our loyalty rewarded. This is a two way street. Following your thinking has led to all the empty seats at our athletic events. it is also leading to empty seats at many other stadiums as prices rise. Pure genius.


And how do you define that reward?

The main point he makes is in the second paragraph and while I disagree with it from an economic perspective from a fan perspective I do agree.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2484
Location: Baton Rouge
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
The most loyal fans don't have a right to anything. Either my father, my grandfather, or I have attended home Tulane games every year since 1935 or earlier. I budget X amount for season tickets and get the most out of my money I can. If they are on the 50, so be it. If they are in the Family Fun Zone, so be it. That's life.

What needs to be brought to the attention of the ticket office is the fact they sell single game tickets in 'Priority Fee Zones' when there are still seats available in non-priority sections. The the sacking of the 120-122 by opposing fans buying single game tickets is black eye on the donation/fee system. The ticket office should instead sell single game tickets 123-125 out before they sell the first ticket in a donation/priority zone.


We most certainly have the right to have our loyalty rewarded. This is a two way street. Following your thinking has led to all the empty seats at our athletic events. it is also leading to empty seats at many other stadiums as prices rise. Pure genius.


And how do you define that reward?

The main point he makes is in the second paragraph and while I disagree with it from an economic perspective from a fan perspective I do agree.


Perhaps one way to reward loyalty is to not allow 'free-riders' when possible. Otherwise loyalty needs to be more precisely defined. Loyal of attendance? Loyalty of as a donor?

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20091
Location: Chicago
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
The most loyal fans don't have a right to anything. Either my father, my grandfather, or I have attended home Tulane games every year since 1935 or earlier. I budget X amount for season tickets and get the most out of my money I can. If they are on the 50, so be it. If they are in the Family Fun Zone, so be it. That's life.

What needs to be brought to the attention of the ticket office is the fact they sell single game tickets in 'Priority Fee Zones' when there are still seats available in non-priority sections. The the sacking of the 120-122 by opposing fans buying single game tickets is black eye on the donation/fee system. The ticket office should instead sell single game tickets 123-125 out before they sell the first ticket in a donation/priority zone.


We most certainly have the right to have our loyalty rewarded. This is a two way street. Following your thinking has led to all the empty seats at our athletic events. it is also leading to empty seats at many other stadiums as prices rise. Pure genius.


And how do you define that reward?

The main point he makes is in the second paragraph and while I disagree with it from an economic perspective from a fan perspective I do agree.


Perhaps one way to reward loyalty is to not allow 'free-riders' when possible. Otherwise loyalty needs to be more precisely defined. Loyal of attendance? Loyalty of as a donor?


So I'm stuck with doody tickets?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2484
Location: Baton Rouge
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
The most loyal fans don't have a right to anything. Either my father, my grandfather, or I have attended home Tulane games every year since 1935 or earlier. I budget X amount for season tickets and get the most out of my money I can. If they are on the 50, so be it. If they are in the Family Fun Zone, so be it. That's life.

What needs to be brought to the attention of the ticket office is the fact they sell single game tickets in 'Priority Fee Zones' when there are still seats available in non-priority sections. The the sacking of the 120-122 by opposing fans buying single game tickets is black eye on the donation/fee system. The ticket office should instead sell single game tickets 123-125 out before they sell the first ticket in a donation/priority zone.


We most certainly have the right to have our loyalty rewarded. This is a two way street. Following your thinking has led to all the empty seats at our athletic events. it is also leading to empty seats at many other stadiums as prices rise. Pure genius.


And how do you define that reward?

The main point he makes is in the second paragraph and while I disagree with it from an economic perspective from a fan perspective I do agree.


Perhaps one way to reward loyalty is to not allow 'free-riders' when possible. Otherwise loyalty needs to be more precisely defined. Loyal of attendance? Loyalty of as a donor?


So I'm stuck with doody tickets?


I was responding to both of you. Windy, you're 'stuck' with what you pay for(you know this :wink: ); house, car, phone, golf clubs and even football tickets. Wavedom, I would ask is our loyalty freely given. If so we don't have a right to anything. That is why we have contracts, E.g. we buy tickets for seat X for day X. Nothing I have paid for has said or expressed an in perpetuity agreement. 'We appreciate your business' or 'Please come back net time' is not a contract.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group