Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:45 am 
Breaker Level

https://www.downthedrive.com/2018/8/1/1 ... llie-fritz

Should be a good one! Can’t wait to see which team shows up. I believe the Wave will be on top of their game from the first kick off.

Early season analysis, wonder what their prediction is now? If they thought we would win before the season, guess we are a stronger win now?? Really hope this is the start of a memorable season!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:56 am 
President's Circle

RI WAVE wrote:
https://www.downthedrive.com/2018/8/1/17622780/cincinnati-bearcats-football-opponent-preview-tulane-green-wave-jonathan-banks-willie-fritz

Should be a good one! Can’t wait to see which team shows up. I believe the Wave will be on top of their game from the first kick off.

Early season analysis, wonder what their prediction is now? If they thought we would win before the season, guess we are a stronger win now?? Really hope this is the start of a memorable season!

Probably not so much on the stronger win now bit. There are five games of stats to base predictions on now and they are ranked ahead of us and favored by S&P+ (SB Nation's ranking system) by about 8.5 points. Cinci has looked much better than expected and I'd say going into Memphis we were worse than expected.

I sure hope the team that played Memphis shows up, because this is a winnable game and would be a huge statement for the rest of the season. Would be nice to prove the preseason predictions correct :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Cinci has looked much better than expected and I'd say going into Memphis we were worse than expected.
I sure hope the team that played Memphis shows up, because this is a winnable game and would be a huge statement for the rest of the season. Would be nice to prove the preseason predictions correct :mrgreen:

This is no doubt a winnable game for us. The computers are - or MAY be - skewed purely because UC has not lost yet. Just like Tulane 1998 (or Tulane basketball 1992?), no one knows whether they really are good until they play someone decent. I have a hard time believing UC improved THAT much from the train wreck they were last year. Losing to them should have been as embarrassing to us as the FIU game (at least FIU was a road game, UC was our frigging homecoming).

On our side, Memphis was a display of what we expected to see preseason. The question is whether we can be consistent. That has never been a Tulane hallmark. If we consistently play the rest of the year like we did against Memphis, we're going to really regret the stumbling efforts of the first 3 games because it could be a special season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 am 
Navigator Level

I dont like the early game time slot. We didn't get off the bus against UAB at the noon game. We have to show that we can play on the road and we also show that we can play in the sunlight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:04 am 
Navigator Level

TXWave88 wrote:
I dont like the early game time slot. We didn't get off the bus against UAB at the noon game. We have to show that we can play on the road and we also show that we can play in the sunlight.

That was my initial thought too due to UAB, but then remembered we played like demons v Tulsa at 10 am and played real hard (and won) the 11 am central game at Louisville.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:15 am 
Regent's Circle

sorry Pete, but when you guys beat Louisville in 92, we KNEW you were good!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
sorry Pete, but when you guys beat Louisville in 92, we KNEW you were good!

That was exactly the game that finally proved it - up until that point, 8-0 didn't impress anyone. That's what I'm likening UC's current situation to; they are 5-0 but have not proven anything yet (UCLA helped immensely due to their name alone - if it had been some random G5 team, UC would still be wallowing in the 70s or 80s because of last year).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

I think it's gonna be a good ball game ……. PERIOD !!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:28 am 
Breaker Level

Yup, can’t wait for this one. Fritz and Co have to know that some motivation is good, even though they stress the consistent prep / play factor. Hope the winning feeling from last week is motivation enough, Roll Wave!

Last edited by RI WAVE on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 am 
Breaker Level

Great it is available on ESPN!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 am 
Emerald Circle

I hope we just get down to business. Too often in the past a Tulane team has celebrated a nice win for a month, if not the rest of the season.
It looked like we did that after Nicholls (egads!).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 am 
Regent's Circle

Three day forecast ends on Friday -- now Saturday

Last edited by sr on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:51 am 
Emerald Circle

The AP has Cincy ranked at 29. This will be a marquee win if we can get it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:59 am 
Breaker Level

Any helmet decision for Sat? Uni’s are all the rage, but “W”’s matter!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:18 am 
Emerald Circle

sr: weather here has it getting unseasonably hot - high of like 86 or so, and humid - but no rain. Normally this time of year it would be a high of like 71. This might actually favor Tulane as we are more accustomed to heat and humidity than Cincinnati, but as we all know, we seem to be the team that cramps up the most...

RI: Tulane football equipment tweets the uniforms on Thursdays. Hints are tweeted in the morning and the reveal generally in the afternoon. After the national raves last week (which they happily re-tweeted, meaning they're all fully aware of it), plus throwing in some superstition, I can't imagine we're not wearing "Wumbo" Wave again. But the unis will have to be light colored for the road. Could be all whites again but with the green helmets. However, because of the helmets (let's face it, the Wumbo Wave won't work on a white helmet), I would expect white tops and green pants. Just my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:42 am 
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
but as we all know, we seem to be the team that cramps up the most...

What IS up with that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:21 pm 
President's Circle

So, after watching Cincinnati against UCLA, UConn and Ohio, here are my thoughts:

1. Cincy's D-Line is built to stop the run. They run a 3-4 and their front 3 are very physical. Cortez Broughton is a big problem in the middle. He has 4.5 sacks and is by far their best pass rusher. It's going to be imperative that we double team him when possible.

2. Cincy's Corners are very fast. They don't tend to get beat over the top too much and you have to win with quickness against them more than speed. The good news for us is that Encalade and especially Mooney are very quick.

3. Cincy dials up a lot of blitzes to try to pressure the QB. While Broughton is very good, they can struggle getting to the QB (10 sacks on the year). They will often bring two LBs off the edge, two up the middle or some combination of the two. They often telegraph the blitz which should make for some easy reads for the QB. We have to make them pay when they blitz, especially with RBs in the flat and on quick slants (they often leave the short middle wide open). The key is going to be making a quick read and getting the ball out quickly. That hasn't been one of Banks' strengths, but he absolutely cannot hold onto the ball too long or we're in for a long day because Cincy can cover on the back end. We also have to use this aggressiveness against them in the running game with more triple option and more pitches than we have seen previously. There are big plays to be made if we can keep mixing up the looks.

4. On offense, their QB Ridder is a freshman, but he hasn't played like one. He has taken care of the ball over the first 5 games (only 1 pick). He is a competent runner but more of a long strider like some other tall QBs (Paxton Lynch for example). He's not going to blow you away with speed or quickness, but he gets the job done. He is more likely to pick up 3-4 first downs with his feet that prolong drives rather than making a long run or rushing for 100 yards.

5. They use their TEs well. They like to run the TE up the seem on a vertical route and try to hit big plays that way. Our safeties, especially Teamer, cannot come crashing down into the box to try to stop the run this week or else they'll sneak a TE behind one of our LBs for a huge gain. They also find a way to get the ball to TEs in the short flat and allow them to turn it up the sidelines. Again, we have to keep track of them.

6. They love to throw the deep ball. Cincy wants to stretch the field. They have been successful throwing the deep ball (probably Ridder's best attribute as a freshman is his ability to throw a good deep ball) and they will do it at least 6-7 times. This keeps the safeties away from the line of scrimmage and allows them to run the ball. We have to be able to stop the run with our front 6-7.

7. Their RB, Warren, is a good player. He doesn't have the speed or dynamic playmaking ability like Darrell Henderson, but he's a short, stout back who is tough to tackle and always seems to be falling forward to gain an extra yard or two. He has over 500 yds rushing on the year. We have to force him between the tackles and hold him to 3-3.5 YPC.

This one is going to be extremely tough, but Cincinnati is very beatable. We are going to have to hold on to the ball and not turn it over at all. If we can avoid turnovers and continue to grind it out against them, we'll eventually pop a couple of big plays. On defense, we have to force them to drive the field and not give up big passes. They are similar to Memphis in their run scheme, so that should be familiar. However, the big difference is that they have receivers who can stretch the field. Hopefully our corners are up to the task (especially Keyes).

We are far more battle tested than they are, and we have to use it to our advantage. Aside from Ohio, every other team they've played (including UCLA) is bad. This is where we have to use the Ohio State game, the Wake game, the Memphis game to our advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm 
President's Circle

One more stat to add here, Cinci is #2 nationally in scoring defense. They're only giving up 12.2 points per game. Even against a weaker early schedule that's still impressive. Our offense is going to have continue to step up if we want to win this one. I'd expect a lower scoring game either way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm 
Navigator Level

Thanks for that analysis. Our DB's will get tested a lot more this game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:48 pm 
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
sr: weather here has it getting unseasonably hot - high of like 86 or so, and humid - but no rain. Normally this time of year it would be a high of like 71. This might actually favor Tulane as we are more accustomed to heat and humidity than Cincinnati, but as we all know, we seem to be the team that cramps up the most...

RI: Tulane football equipment tweets the uniforms on Thursdays. Hints are tweeted in the morning and the reveal generally in the afternoon. After the national raves last week (which they happily re-tweeted, meaning they're all fully aware of it), plus throwing in some superstition, I can't imagine we're not wearing "Wumbo" Wave again. But the unis will have to be light colored for the road. Could be all whites again but with the green helmets. However, because of the helmets (let's face it, the Wumbo Wave won't work on a white helmet), I would expect white tops and green pants. Just my guess.

Since we've worn those two combo's already and they seem bent on wearing some different combo every week I think we could see blue top with white pants. Wonder how Wumbo looks with that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

Good stuff, TU23.

Another couple of notes:
1. Their starting center, a Senior, broke his ankle last week against UConn and is out. I don't know how reliant UC is/was on him calling out things he sees, but losing a center can make a big difference. If I were our DC, I'd be mixing things up a lot to try to create confusion. I'd also be bringing blitzes up the middle to see whether the new guy can handle it. The only example we have of how the backup guy does is half a game against horrible UConn (35.5-point dogs to Memphis this week!), so who knows?

2. And on that note... before anyone freaks out, all of the observations TU23 made were watching them against some REALLY bad teams. I'm sure the speed/quickness comparisons were probably more legit against UCLA, but the rest of the teams they've played are bad. As indicated in another post, "2 FBS wins between the 5 of them" bad.

3. The stuff UC is weakest at stopping is the stuff we *SHOULD* be doing. Options, pitching, passing to flats, using TEs, short little dumps to RBs. All the stuff we frustratingly didn't do in the first 4 games. We showed a little of it against Memphis, but we need to do more this week. If we go the UAB route, we're literally playing into UC's hands.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:00 pm 
President's Circle

Pete- I think you're spot on. I think Cincy has recruited really well and legitimately has good speed in their defensive backfield, BUT...these guys are left on islands a lot of the time, and that's why the quickness factor is important. When we can shake free on a slant or a quick pass, we have one tackler to beat for a huge gain. There are going to be chances to make big plays.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

The computers also list Tulane as the highest rated team they will have faced.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:19 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

:bluecrowd:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:53 pm 
Breaker Level

Pete / TU :

great stuff - best preview of upcoming important game bar none!

Fritz and Co have built our size and speed with each recruiting class and has put us into position to be successful. Hope the Coaching Staff opens up the playbook. They have to know the same things you all are seeing and this is certainly the time show some new stuff?

Do you think that our RPO sets so far have had options that Banks missed or are the coaches not calling passes to RB's in the Flat - TE's quick releases to the flat?

Thanks again!