Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:33 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20670
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If we win the four games we need to win to make a bowl, then the game againt Houston will 99% determine who wins the division (us or them). So the two aren't separate. Making a bowl and competing to win the division are tied together.


Kinda. We would likely have to win 5 to win the division with 2 of those being Navy and Houston. Houston hasn't lost in conference yet.

I’m counting Navy in the 4 should win.

The USF game likely doesn’t matter for the division. With Houston playing Memphis and USF and Navy, I’m sure they’ll lose at least one game. If we beat them everyone will have 2 losses and we’ll own the tie breakers if we’ve run the table in the West.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3157
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
gerryb323 wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:

Image

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2494
Location: Baton Rouge
WaveProf wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If we win the four games we need to win to make a bowl, then the game againt Houston will 99% determine who wins the division (us or them). So the two aren't separate. Making a bowl and competing to win the division are tied together.


Kinda. We would likely have to win 5 to win the division with 2 of those being Navy and Houston. Houston hasn't lost in conference yet.

I’m counting Navy in the 4 should win.

The USF game likely doesn’t matter for the division. With Houston playing Memphis and USF and Navy, I’m sure they’ll lose at least one game. If we beat them everyone will have 2 losses and we’ll own the tie breakers if we’ve run the table in the West.


If we win only 4 of 6 then that makes us 5-3 in conference.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If we win the four games we need to win to make a bowl, then the game againt Houston will 99% determine who wins the division (us or them). So the two aren't separate. Making a bowl and competing to win the division are tied together.


Kinda. We would likely have to win 5 to win the division with 2 of those being Navy and Houston. Houston hasn't lost in conference yet.

I’m counting Navy in the 4 should win.

The USF game likely doesn’t matter for the division. With Houston playing Memphis and USF and Navy, I’m sure they’ll lose at least one game. If we beat them everyone will have 2 losses and we’ll own the tie breakers if we’ve run the table in the West.


If we win only 4 of 6 then that makes us 5-3 in conference.

He's saying if we go 5-1 here out. Win the 4 other games, lose to USF, then the outcome of the Houston game decides the West. A little confusing since Houston isn't the last game, but pretty sure that's what he's going for.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20670
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Sprout made a bingo. And I was stealing from Guerry Smith

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2494
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If we win the four games we need to win to make a bowl, then the game againt Houston will 99% determine who wins the division (us or them). So the two aren't separate. Making a bowl and competing to win the division are tied together.


Kinda. We would likely have to win 5 to win the division with 2 of those being Navy and Houston. Houston hasn't lost in conference yet.

I’m counting Navy in the 4 should win.

The USF game likely doesn’t matter for the division. With Houston playing Memphis and USF and Navy, I’m sure they’ll lose at least one game. If we beat them everyone will have 2 losses and we’ll own the tie breakers if we’ve run the table in the West.


If we win only 4 of 6 then that makes us 5-3 in conference.

He's saying if we go 5-1 here out. Win the 4 other games, lose to USF, then the outcome of the Houston game decides the West. A little confusing since Houston isn't the last game, but pretty sure that's what he's going for.


Ok got it, 'if..then' are usually chronological. Simple misunderstanding.
Navy has one loss and Houston, UCF, and Cincy left so they should be toast.
Tulsa is all but eliminated already.
Memphis has UCF and Houston left.
SMU has Cnincy, Memphis, and Houston left.

Interestingly we are in better shape conference wise at 2-4 now than we would have been if we were 3-3 beating UAB and Cincy instead of Memphis like many of us thought would happen.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:48 am
Posts: 1039
Location: Lost
Look at the away records of our division....

1-15... Of our 4 wins we need for a bowl game, SMU, ECU and Navy are at home. We have to show up for every week, but @ Tulsa is the most favorable away game on our schedule. Navy will have to beat Temple and Tulsa to still have a bowl chance in sight when they play us. Not that they will give up, but being eliminated has its effects. SMU has to beat us to have a bowl chance since they are in the same situation we are. Tulsa has USF and Arkansas. Ark is bad this year, but Tulsa has a light backside of the schedule. We want them at 1-6 though making it a 6 game losing streak. ECU will most likely be facing us at 2-6 (cancelled the Va Tech game), but just got mopped by Temple. Hopefully Houston, UCF and Memphis games will continue that trend.

Those 4 wins we need are there for the taking, but we have to do something we have not shown we have done in years. SHOW UP and be CONSISTENT. This SMU game is a big game for both programs. It is critical path for both seasons. Coming off a bye week, I really hope WF shows us something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9880
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
Also with the elimination of the tax break why the hell even require a donation anymore? If they want 600 bucks a ticket combined between donation and face just frick charge 600 bucks and make single games 125
Because no one is interested in buying single game tickets to a Tulane game for 125.


Evidently an example is hard for you to comprehend. I pulled the numbers out of thin air dopey.

Change the numbers to whatever you think suits you...nobody is interested in paying 100, 75, etc for a single game ticket.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9880
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
Also with the elimination of the tax break why the hell even require a donation anymore? If they want 600 bucks a ticket combined between donation and face just frick charge 600 bucks and make single games 125
Because no one is interested in buying single game tickets to a Tulane game for 125.


His point is that is essentially what season ticket holders are paying for them now that donation is on a per ticket basis and there is not donation perk or tax deduction. Meanwhile drunk Memphis State U fans pays $30.00 per ticket at the ticket office(or cheaper on stubhub) for seats next to mine that game.

Sure, I get that but lower per game prices still allow for walkup/single game sales. Drunk Memphis State U fans aren't paying $125/game (wanna find a good way to enrage your conference mates? start charging them $125/ticket to play in an empty stadium...we're not exactly holding up our end of the bargain on the field/court as it is, I think we'd be swiftly Templed if we start price gouging). I agree the visitor seating proximity is an issue, personally I think more sections should require no donation and those should be the only per game seats sold.


Then they would move to a cheaper aka non donation section. This is not that hard to comprehend

Evidently it's not hard to comprehend since even you seemed to kinda understand my solution to this dilemma. Congrats!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20170
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
Also with the elimination of the tax break why the hell even require a donation anymore? If they want 600 bucks a ticket combined between donation and face just frick charge 600 bucks and make single games 125
Because no one is interested in buying single game tickets to a Tulane game for 125.




His point is that is essentially what season ticket holders are paying for them now that donation is on a per ticket basis and there is not donation perk or tax deduction. Meanwhile drunk Memphis State U fans pays $30.00 per ticket at the ticket office(or cheaper on stubhub) for seats next to mine that game.

Sure, I get that but lower per game prices still allow for walkup/single game sales. Drunk Memphis State U fans aren't paying $125/game (wanna find a good way to enrage your conference mates? start charging them $125/ticket to play in an empty stadium...we're not exactly holding up our end of the bargain on the field/court as it is, I think we'd be swiftly Templed if we start price gouging). I agree the visitor seating proximity is an issue, personally I think more sections should require no donation and those should be the only per game seats sold.


Then they would move to a cheaper aka non donation section. This is not that hard to comprehend

Evidently it's not hard to comprehend since even you seemed to kinda understand my solution to this dilemma. Congrats!


Excelsior... beers soon?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2725
Going to the local pub shortly!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:40 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20170
Location: Chicago
tjtlja wrote:
Going to the local pub shortly!


A real pub or a bar? I hate bars that call themselves pubs

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2725
A bar. I agree with you (now that’s a first).

Why can’t we be friends?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20170
Location: Chicago
tjtlja wrote:
A bar. I agree with you (now that’s a first).

Why can’t we be friends?


I have no objection

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 14036
USF beats Tulsa on the last play of the game (a field goal) 25-24.

But SMU is next.

_________________
The time for talking ended in August


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2725
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
A bar. I agree with you (now that’s a first).

Why can’t we be friends?


I have no objection


A truce it shall be!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20170
Location: Chicago
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
A bar. I agree with you (now that’s a first).

Why can’t we be friends?


I have no objection


A truce it shall be!


Why only a half measure?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LSU Law Greenie, MSN [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group