Preseason Dannen: "Expectations"

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Coach Level

Preseason Dannen: "Expectations"

Unread post by 1401973 »

Season far from over, but this team - using any measure - has not met them.
Paired with "expectations" is "ramifications" or "accountability". Is Dannen a man of his word or just a showman?

I take Fritz as a man of accountability but when it comes to his coaches his history shows he is a loyalist.
Obviously hoping the season somehow turns around, but if it doesn't this conflict will be compelling.

So far this year there are many damning signs that I won't rehash....................................yes I will: KEEP throwing to your RBs, START throwing to your TE, and there is a middle of the field!!!!
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Re: Preseason Dannen: "Expectations"

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

No, only opponents are allowed to throw over the middle. It's a law.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

I agree this will be interesting to watch. Dannen was clear about the expectations - bowling or bust. Technically we aren't out of the fight yet, but should we lose twice more then I'd hope somebody's seat get's uncomfortably hot. It's fine to wait until season's end but moves should be made quickly if we don't right the ship over our last four games.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

I can't imagine that we have anywhere near the money to buyout Fritz's contract (before his extension even starts, no less) and then turn around and hire a new (presumably decently paid) coach. Would bet Fritz's seat is ice cold through the 2019 season at least.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

ml wave wrote:I can't imagine that we have anywhere near the money to buyout Fritz's contract (before his extension even starts, no less) and then turn around and hire a new (presumably decently paid) coach. Would bet Fritz's seat is ice cold through the 2019 season at least.
Can't say I disagree. But you can't spout "expectations" and then when we fall flat on our face not do anything about it....unless you are just hot air.....
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

ml wave wrote:I can't imagine that we have anywhere near the money to buyout Fritz's contract (before his extension even starts, no less) and then turn around and hire a new (presumably decently paid) coach. Would bet Fritz's seat is ice cold through the 2019 season at least.
Probably so. But changing head coaches isn't the only way to change things up.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Expectations don’t mean putting Fritz on hot seat in year 3. But it should mean some heads rolling and changes coming. And if it doesn’t, then that means Fritz has tied his fate to those he kept around—-a la CCJ and Price. If Fritz wants to miss a bowl and still stick with Ruse then TD should let him, but he should also make it clear that that fecision means in year 4 we won’t be complaining or evaluating Ruse anymore, because Fritz will/would have married his fate
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

Dannen says head coaches get four years to reach post-season and should make changes when necessary.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:Expectations don’t mean putting Fritz on hot seat in year 3. But it should mean some heads rolling and changes coming. And if it doesn’t, then that means Fritz has tied his fate to those he kept around—-a la CCJ and Price. If Fritz wants to miss a bowl and still stick with Ruse then TD should let him, but he should also make it clear that that fecision means in year 4 we won’t be complaining or evaluating Ruse anymore, because Fritz will/would have married his fate
Yep. In fact, he shouldn't have to say anything to Fritz. If Ruse is being micromanaged by Fritz then Ruse should leave on his own. This situation is not a good one for either future prospects. At least Toledo's OC knew that an left.

The line is
2018 scoring offense 100th, 24.7 PPG
2017 scoring offense 76th, 26.1 PPG
2016 scoring offense 115th, 20.3 PPG

Notably...
SMU had the 118th scoring defense 39.0 PPG; we scored 23, 9 of which was scored by our defense.
Wake has the 122th defense giving up 39.8 PPG we scored 17

at Cincinnati we scored 21 with McMillan in there vs the 8th best Scoring Defense that gives up 16.5 a game.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Somewhat related, but believe I noticed a tweet last night from Dannen which mentioned Utah and SLC. Might have dreamed it ...