Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tulane 41 - USF 15
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:57 pm 
Coach Level

And this one belongs to the Wave!

Offense, Defense and Special Teams all played well.

Sets up a big homecoming opportunity.

Time to follow up one big victory with another one.

Post subject: Re: Tulane 41 - USF 15
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

Please, please, please. I arrive noon on Friday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
Please, please, please. I arrive noon on Friday.

Wish I were going this year instead of last...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:43 pm 
Coach Level

Can we cancel Homecoming and just have a regular weekend?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:47 pm 
President's Circle

Tulane beats USF 41-15.
WVU beats Texas on a last second TD and goes for two to win it.
Louisville gets beat 77-16.

Best football day I've had in a looooong time. Now 'Bama, just win by three TDs and my day is complete.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
Best football day I've had in a looooong time. Now 'Bama, just win by three TDs and my day is complete.

I was saying to Bama fans that I hope they beat LSU so badly that "for sale" signs show up on Orgeron's front lawn tomorrow morning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 pm 
Regent's Circle

So nice to hear about this win... I was watching posts on Twitter, and couldn’t believe it.

Anyone know if this game is being replayed at a later time/date? I forgot to set my DVR...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

I was saying to Bama fans that I hope they beat LSU so badly that "for sale" signs show up on Orgeron's front lawn tomorrow morning

I saw ESPN's interview this morning of Orgeron;I can't believe they put it on without a translation of what he was saying underneath....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:39 pm 
President's Circle

noladave wrote:
So nice to hear about this win... I was watching posts on Twitter, and couldn’t believe it.

Anyone know if this game is being replayed at a later time/date? I forgot to set my DVR...

Try YouTube...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wow, sometimes I forget the obvious..

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

Final official stats:

First downs
Tulane 17
USF 27

Net rushing:
TUlane 368
USF 110

Net Passing:
Tulane 61
USF 332

Total Offense:
Tulane 429
USF 442

Possession:
Tulane 31:12
USF 28:48

3rd Down conversions
TUlane 4 of 14
USF 5 of 16

Rushing (Tulane)
Bradwell 15 for 136
Dauphine 16 for 115 (1 for -1)
McMillan 10 for 64 (9 for -55)

Defense:
Monroe 9 (7 solo 2 ast)
Moody 8 (5 solo ,3 ast .5 sack, .5 tfl)
Teamer, Johnson, Williams, Kennedy with .5 to 1.5 sacks, plus .5 to 1.5 tackles for loss (tfl)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:08 pm 
President's Circle

noladave wrote:
Final official stats:

First downs
Tulane 17
USF 27

Net rushing:
TUlane 368
USF 110

Net Passing:
Tulane 61
USF 332

Total Offense:
Tulane 429
USF 442

Possession:

3rd Down conversions
TUlane 4 of 14
USF 5 of 16

Rushing (Tulane)
Bradwell 15 for 136

Defense:
Monroe 9 (7 solo 2 ast)
Teamer, Johnson, Williams, Kennedy with .5 to 1.5 sacks, plus .5 to 1.5 tackles for loss (tfl)

We played well, but those final first down/yardage numbers tell me the turnovers were the difference in a blowout and a one score nail biter. We can't count on being this lucky every week. Still need to improve the third downs as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:36 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
noladave wrote:
Final official stats:

First downs
Tulane 17
USF 27

Net rushing:
TUlane 368
USF 110

Net Passing:
Tulane 61
USF 332

Total Offense:
Tulane 429
USF 442

Possession:

3rd Down conversions
TUlane 4 of 14
USF 5 of 16

Rushing (Tulane)
Bradwell 15 for 136

Defense:
Monroe 9 (7 solo 2 ast)

We played well, but those final first down/yardage numbers tell me the turnovers were the difference in a blowout and a one score nail biter. We can't count on being this lucky every week. Still need to improve the third downs as well.

The interesting thing is, we played both Memphis and USF on their worst days of the season. I agree that we have a LONG way to go before we can count on anything consistent. But I gotta tell you, if we run up 368 yards rushing on anyone else, we will be tough to beat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

As concerns stats, Tulane won the penalty battle and also led on the scoreboard in every quarter.

I know I'm viewing this through green colored eye shades but perhaps Tulane had something to do with playing "USF and Memphis on their worst days of the season."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 pm 
President's Circle

Defense always plays better than the yards given up column on the stat sheet. Turnovers are part a good defense. As for playing teams teams on their down week, I'll take it 12 games in a row. Also our team played bend don't break and gave up a lot of yards in the second half after we were up. Again 15 points is the key stat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
As concerns stats, Tulane won the penalty battle and also led on the scoreboard in every quarter.

I know I'm viewing this through green colored eye shades but perhaps Tulane had something to do with playing "USF and Memphis on their worst days of the season."

Yeah it did... they were looking past us

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:39 am 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
Defense always plays better than the yards given up column on the stat sheet. Turnovers are part a good defense. As for playing teams teams on their down week, I'll take it 12 games in a row. Also our team played bend don't break and gave up a lot of yards in the second half after we were up. Again 15 points is the key stat.

I'm not trying to take away anything from our defense. I agree with almost everything you say above. They have played beyond their experience all season and have given us a chance to win almost every week. I said elsewhere Curtis deserves a raise for what he's gotten out of this unit. Yesterday was no exception. They made things much easier for our offense to do their job and our offense needs all the help it can get.

That said, two of the three turnovers we got today were pretty fluky. It's been shown empirically that a large portion of turnovers is luck. There are some things defenses can do that statistically improve turnover odds. Sacks (because they catch the QB in unprotected positions) and deflected passes (because they often tip the ball in the air) are about the only things that have been statistically shown to correlate with fumbles recovered and interceptions respectively. The ball still remains an oblong spheroid that takes unpredictable bounces. Of our three turnovers in this game, one was completely unforced (dropped punt), one was tipped (let's call that a forced turnover), and one was a strip on a long pass that went a mile in the air and could have easily bounced out of bounds or to a USF player. All I'm saying is that even with our defense playing well, we can't expect all three of those turnover chances to fall our way every game. It's just as likely we only get one of those which likely would have impacted our odds to win greatly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:44 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

I'm not trying to take away anything from our defense. I agree with almost everything you say above. They have played beyond their experience all season and have given us a chance to win almost every week. I said elsewhere Curtis deserves a raise for what he's gotten out of this unit. Yesterday was no exception. They made things much easier for our offense to do their job and our offense needs all the help it can get.

That said, two of the three turnovers we got today were pretty fluky. It's been shown empirically that a large portion of turnovers is luck. There are some things defenses can do that statistically improve turnover odds. Sacks (because they catch the QB in unprotected positions) and deflected passes (because they often tip the ball in the air) are about the only things that have been statistically shown to correlate with fumbles recovered and interceptions respectively. The ball still remains an oblong spheroid that takes unpredictable bounces. Of our three turnovers in this game, one was completely unforced (dropped punt), one was tipped (let's call that a forced turnover), and one was a strip on a long pass that went a mile in the air and could have easily bounced out of bounds or to a USF player. All I'm saying is that even with our defense playing well, we can't expect all three of those turnover chances to fall our way every game. It's just as likely we only get one of those which likely would have impacted our odds to win greatly.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:15 am 
Navigator Level

Guys, y’all did watch the game right? We dominated all three phases, were better prepared (notice the D playing faster anybody?) and MUCH more physical.
We beat the opening spread by 33 points folks.
Since 2017 (B4 yesterday) USF was 28-5. Winning 11 games in ‘16 and beating an SEC team in a bowl and winning 10 last year and beating Texas Tech in a bowl. And of course 7-1 this year.

Each of those turnovers were due to hustle/effort - Barge, Bryant and Harris. All three.

Last edited by 1401973 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:57 am 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

when we got whistled for that questionably DPI (against Teamer) and on the next play another flag flew, I had a feeling the AAC office texted the officials to say "hey, you're killing our conference by letting this one loss team get smoked" and they adjusted with some bad calls against us.. but the second flag turned out to be OPI (right call because it was a pick for us if the guy didn't interfere) and the game was pretty much over after that defensive stop.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:14 am 
President's Circle

I'm just wondering how McMillian had another 30+ yard TD run when an internet forum said he isn't a running QB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:19 am 
Emerald Circle

I like this:

Quote:
“I’m trying to get three wins in three starts. My mother always told me to enjoy wins,” McMillan said. “I’m not good at enjoying wins because I’m always looking to the next situation. That’s how I’ve always been since I’ve been in Texas. If you ever see me with a blank face, I’m happy all the time but I love winning.”

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/tulane-routs-south-florida-as-postseason-bowl-hopes-brighten.html#incart_river_index

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 am 
Navigator Level

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
That said, two of the three turnovers we got today were pretty fluky. It's been shown empirically that a large portion of turnovers is luck. There are some things defenses can do that statistically improve turnover odds. Sacks (because they catch the QB in unprotected positions) and deflected passes (because they often tip the ball in the air) are about the only things that have been statistically shown to correlate with fumbles recovered and interceptions respectively. The ball still remains an oblong spheroid that takes unpredictable bounces. .

This empirical study doesn't take into account hustle and physically superior play. Neither of these are fluky or oblong. Both of these have a lot to do with which team generates more turnovers.
The Bryant recovery is a perfect example. If he's not busting a$$ he doesn't beat the USF guy to the muffed punt. Pure hustle.
No one can convince me that this team hasn't generated its own "luck" on D.
We are prepared
We are physical
We hustle
We pressure
We have talent
And dare I say we are showing a little swagger.
Bring ECU, Houston and Navy effing on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 am 
Emerald Circle

An oldie, but maybe relevant:

Quote:
It might seem disheartening, the fact that successful people probably owe more to luck than anything else, but only if you see luck as some sort of magic. Take off those superstitious goggles for a moment, and consider this: the latest psychological research indicates that luck is a long mislabeled phenomenon. It isn’t a force, or grace from the gods, or an enchantment from fairy folk, but the measurable output of a group of predictable behaviors. Randomness, chance, and the noisy chaos of reality may be mostly impossible to predict or tame, but luck is something else. According to psychologist Richard Wiseman, luck – bad or good – is just what you call the results of a human being consciously interacting with chance, and some people are better at interacting with chance than others.

Over the course of 10 years, Wiseman followed the lives of 400 subjects of all ages and professions. He found them after he placed ads in newspapers asking for people who thought of themselves as very lucky or very unlucky. He had them keep diaries and perform tests in addition to checking in on their lives with interviews and observations. In one study, he asked subjects to look through a newspaper and count the number of photographs inside. The people who labeled themselves as generally unlucky took about two minutes to complete the task. The people who considered themselves as generally lucky took an average of a few seconds. Wiseman had placed a block of text printed in giant, bold letters on the second page of the newspaper that read, “Stop counting. There are 43 photographs in this newspaper.” Deeper inside, he placed a second block of text just as big that read, “Stop counting, tell the experimenter you have seen this and win $250.” The people who believed they were unlucky usually missed both.

Wiseman speculated that what we call luck is actually a pattern of behaviors that coincide with a style of understanding and interacting with the events and people you encounter throughout life. Unlucky people are narrowly focused, he observed. They crave security and tend to be more anxious, and instead of wading into the sea of random chance open to what may come, they remain fixated on controlling the situation, on seeking a specific goal. As a result, they miss out on the thousands of opportunities that may float by. Lucky people tend to constantly change routines and seek out new experiences. Wiseman saw that the people who considered themselves lucky, and who then did actually demonstrate luck was on their side over the course of a decade, tended to place themselves into situations where anything could happen more often and thus exposed themselves to more random chance than did unlucky people. The lucky try more things, and fail more often, but when they fail they shrug it off and try something else. Occasionally, things work out.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2013/05/23/survivorship-bias/