Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tulane 41 - USF 15
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:49 am 
President's Circle

OGSB wrote:
The lucky try more things, and fail more often, but when they fail they shrug it off and try something else. Occasionally, things work out.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2013/05/23/survivorship-bias/[/quote]

If true, when it comes to Tulane and football, we ought to be the luckiest SOBs on Planet Earth.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:54 am 
Emerald Circle

The turnovers were fortunate but they weren't the difference in the game. We dominated the line of scrimmage.
As for QB, McMillan makes better reads and makes fewer mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 am 
President's Circle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:03 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
As for QB, McMillan makes better reads and makes fewer mistakes.
I like that he makes quick reads, quick moves, quick decisions. Even if they are wrong. When a QB lumbers around, loads up for a pass, hesitates on keep/pitch, many things can unfold and most of them are bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:34 am 
Navigator Level

Well that was certainly fun. Even better that we get to celebrate it an extra hour. Things are going our way May it continue next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:11 am 
Head Trainer

Funny quote concerning Coach Charlie Strong from the USF forum (all Tulane fans can relate):

Quote:
  • Before Houston game: Maryland entertains hiring Strong
  • After Houston game: Strong maybe entertains Maryland (for the backlash)
  • After Tulane game: Bulls fans spam-mail/email the Strong family with Maryland brochures.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 am 
Riptide Level

The offensive line deserves more credit. Inserting Claybrook at tackle has made a difference. Also, Fisher is playing better. Of course, the middle three on the line have generally done a pretty good job all year. I worry about next year with us losing Leglue and Briggs along with our first sub in the middle, Knighton.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm 
Navigator Level

ThePig wrote:
The offensive line deserves more credit. Inserting Claybrook at tackle has made a difference. Also, Fisher is playing better. Of course, the middle three on the line have generally done a pretty good job all year. I worry about next year with us losing Leglue and Briggs along with our first sub in the middle, Knighton.

We lose Fisher also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:04 pm 
President's Circle

1401973 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
That said, two of the three turnovers we got today were pretty fluky. It's been shown empirically that a large portion of turnovers is luck. There are some things defenses can do that statistically improve turnover odds. Sacks (because they catch the QB in unprotected positions) and deflected passes (because they often tip the ball in the air) are about the only things that have been statistically shown to correlate with fumbles recovered and interceptions respectively. The ball still remains an oblong spheroid that takes unpredictable bounces. .

This empirical study doesn't take into account hustle and physically superior play. Neither of these are fluky or oblong. Both of these have a lot to do with which team generates more turnovers.
The Bryant recovery is a perfect example. If he's not busting a$$ he doesn't beat the USF guy to the muffed punt. Pure hustle.
No one can convince me that this team hasn't generated its own "luck" on D.
We are prepared
We are physical
We hustle
We pressure
We have talent
And dare I say we are showing a little swagger.
Bring ECU, Houston and Navy effing on.

Ok. Two things here. 1. You can't measure hustle. I'm not saying that's not important - it obviously is. But how do you know the USF guy wasn't hustling just as hard? For that matter, how much hustle does it take to outrun the out of bounds line? Because the ball just as easily could have gone that way and USF retained possession. 2. Your third line makes this discussion moot. If no one can convince you that luck isn't random then why engage in the conversation? Your mind has been made up regardless of potentially differing inputs.

Elsewhere I've seen the point made that we would win that game without the turnovers because we physically dominated. I agree. The point I've tried to make is that game is much, much closer without those fluky turnovers. It's the difference in winning quite comfortably and sweating it out. On a different day, it's the difference in winning close and a last minute big play beating us.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

McMillan fumble was as fluky as some of USF's turnovers. Maybe Fritz's world class focus on ball security mattered here and gave Tulane the edge.

FWIW, I did notice McMillan and Mooney flipping the ball to the referee on at least one play each against Tulsa. I did not see anything but handoffs to refs by every Tulane player against USF. I don't think it was a coincidence.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
FWIW, I did notice McMillan and Mooney flipping the ball to the referee on at least one play each against Tulsa. I did not see anything but handoffs to refs by every Tulane player against USF. I don't think it was a coincidence.
I’d like to say handing the ball to officials doesn’t matter but I’d be lying. It sets a tone of respect both ways. Since by position I handle the ball every play and I am right in the thick of things I make a point of talking to the kids and even get kids to laugh which sometimes diffuses tense situations. Despite what Roller may think, most officials are people too, trying to do their best. I always thank players for handing the ball to me and usually get a smile. It’s not all @ssholes and elbows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:50 pm 
President's Circle

ThePig wrote:

Saw Cameron Jackel in the game yesterday. Any other OL get in the game?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
McMillan fumble was as fluky as some of USF's turnovers. Maybe Fritz's world class focus on ball security mattered here and gave Tulane the edge.

I would argue McMillan's fumble was less fluky. As I said earlier, sacks are correlated with turnovers. I can't remember if it was a run play or pass play he fumbled on, but he was hit behind the line which is similar. The fluky part was the judgment call by the refs. It looked to me like he was down and I bet if they had ruled that way on the field it wouldn't have been overturned.

To be clear to all the posters I've engaged with on this topic, I'm not saying that all turnovers we get are pure luck. I'm saying all turnovers, those we get and those we give, have a large measure of luck included in them that makes them difficult to count on week in and week out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

Jones flipped after his TD run.
I like the hand the ball to the official approach. Mutual respect, as Roller said. It also adds a level of discipline.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:57 pm 
Regent's Circle

GSx, Thanks for catching that. I bet Jones doesn't do it next week (especially after his second TD, with some luck!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 pm 
Navigator Level

Rotorooter wrote:
noladave wrote:
So nice to hear about this win... I was watching posts on Twitter, and couldn’t believe it.

Anyone know if this game is being replayed at a later time/date? I forgot to set my DVR...

Try YouTube...

Has anyone found a replay? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Jones flipped after his TD run.
I like the hand the ball to the official approach. Mutual respect, as Roller said. It also adds a level of discipline.

Uh, it was me. Roller never met an official he thinks doesn’t arrive on a black Huey. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 am 
Riptide Level

CT Wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
noladave wrote:
So nice to hear about this win... I was watching posts on Twitter, and couldn’t believe it.

Anyone know if this game is being replayed at a later time/date? I forgot to set my DVR...

Try YouTube...

Has anyone found a replay? Thanks.

All I had to do was search "tulane south florida" on youtube :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbf6xn0OWI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:21 pm 
Navigator Level

Your searching is much better than mine. Don't ask me why it didn't show up. But thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

Huh. Maybe Fritz should have tried some of that world class focus when Banks was playing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:54 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Huh. Maybe Fritz should have tried some of that world class focus when Banks was playing.

Welcome back. We missed you after Tulane blew out a 7-1 team on the road.

Meanwhile you answered your own point. Banks didn't get Fritz's message about fumbling and that's a major reason why he was benched. Too bad. If effort, attitude and will power guaranteed success, Banks would be an All American.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Meanwhile you answered your own point. Banks didn't get Fritz's message about fumbling and that's a major reason why he was benched. Too bad. If effort, attitude and will power guaranteed success, Banks would be an All American.

Oh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm 
Navigator Level

Getting back to the game, I don't think I have enjoyed watching the Greenies on TV that much since the 98 Liberty Bowl. Watched in a sports bar in Saraland, Alabama, with a few folks getting properly "prepared" (ethanol wise) for the Bama game later that evening. They were Tulane fans for the afternoon! Great fun.

If you want to know which sports bar in Saraland, google it. As one of my game-time companions told me, "there ain't but one!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:38 am 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Anyone else find it interesting that Ledford was the guy who came in for a play (when McMillan had his helmet ripped off) and not Banks? Is Banks even dressing?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:00 am 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
ThePig wrote:

Saw Cameron Jackel in the game yesterday. Any other OL get in the game?

T. Johnson and H Knighton played some in fourth quarter. They were on the field along with Jackel on the Jones TD run.

I didn't see if McCleod got into the game at all.

Oline will be losing 3 senior starters but luckily we will have 4 guys back with a lot of experience. Hopefully Fritz can work his magic with a JUCO or Grad transfer here.

Fisher by the way is a very large human being. I saw him on the field before the UAB game and he is enormous.