Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20804
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Opened at 14.5, already moved

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1910
Sounds about right to me. I am on the bandwagon now...we go undefeated the rest of the way and win the conference championship game and get invited to a good bowl.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8483
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20349
Location: Chicago
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5838
Cheerleader wrote:
Sounds about right to me. I am on the bandwagon now...we go undefeated the rest of the way and win the conference championship game and get invited to a good bowl.


If you were riding shotgun on the bandwagon, you'd have us winning the bowl too!! :green wink:

Anyway like most here, I'm happy with any HC win by any margin. Weather looks to be perfect, tailgating will be awesome, Tulane is playing well and somehow I still remember the Toledo Gormley HC (wrong way) blowout against Army...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8483
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds


Go search and you will find that most sites say blackjack. Some however say Craps. Depends which one you want to rely on.

'54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20349
Location: Chicago
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds


Go search and you will find that most sites say blackjack. Some however say Craps. Depends which one you want to rely on.

'54


I rely on math

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1910
Baywave1 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:
Sounds about right to me. I am on the bandwagon now...we go undefeated the rest of the way and win the conference championship game and get invited to a good bowl.


If you were riding shotgun on the bandwagon, you'd have us winning the bowl too!! :green wink:

Anyway like most here, I'm happy with any HC win by any margin. Weather looks to be perfect, tailgating will be awesome, Tulane is playing well and somehow I still remember the Toledo Gormley HC (wrong way) blowout against Army...


We will win the bowl game as well...and I will be there. I was at the Army HC debacle at Gormley and have tried to put it out of my mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:31 pm 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8483
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds


Go search and you will find that most sites say blackjack. Some however say Craps. Depends which one you want to rely on.

'54


I rely on math
I do also, but I also rely on more important than math. I know when to quit when I am ahead. Although I like to play, I don't "have to" play.

And check your PM box. I'm gonna tell you a story you didn't/won't see in the papers.

FS'54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:04 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20349
Location: Chicago
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds


Go search and you will find that most sites say blackjack. Some however say Craps. Depends which one you want to rely on.

'54


I rely on math
I do also, but I also rely on more important than math. I know when to quit when I am ahead. Although I like to play, I don't "have to" play.

And check your PM box. I'm gonna tell you a story you didn't/won't see in the papers.

FS'54


I play at a casino once every 18 months or so and have strict hard self imposed limits. That doesn't change the fact craps odds are the best

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:18 am
Posts: 1456
Let's just please avoid doing what we have done in the past when it was looking like things were getting very rosy.

Mumble, grumble (Army at HC) cough, cough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8483
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds


Go search and you will find that most sites say blackjack. Some however say Craps. Depends which one you want to rely on.

'54


I rely on math
I do also, but I also rely on more important than math. I know when to quit when I am ahead. Although I like to play, I don't "have to" play.

And check your PM box. I'm gonna tell you a story you didn't/won't see in the papers.

FS'54


I play at a casino once every 18 months or so and have strict hard self imposed limits. That doesn't change the fact craps odds are the best


Then why do different internet sites say craps on one hand and blackjack on the other hand when you search "what casino table game has the best odds?".

'54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20349
Location: Chicago
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Reminder...don't bet on football games. But if you insist, wait until the last day and avoid the point spread. Check the weather and use it to make a pick (good = over, bad = under). That way you never have to worry about betting for or against "your" team. And my idea is to hope for good so you can bet the over. That way when it does go over you can kick back and enjoy a brew...or two, knowing your $ is forthcoming.

Fan since '54


Says the guy who doesn't think craps has the best odds


Go search and you will find that most sites say blackjack. Some however say Craps. Depends which one you want to rely on.

'54


I rely on math
I do also, but I also rely on more important than math. I know when to quit when I am ahead. Although I like to play, I don't "have to" play.

And check your PM box. I'm gonna tell you a story you didn't/won't see in the papers.

FS'54


I play at a casino once every 18 months or so and have strict hard self imposed limits. That doesn't change the fact craps odds are the best


Then why do different internet sites say craps on one hand and blackjack on the other hand when you search "what casino table game has the best odds?".

'54


They're wrong? Laying odds in craps is no edge to the house.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 14380
While the Tampa paper was roasting USF for their game against us, The Daily Reflector posted this about Memphis/ECU:

Pirate offense shows pulse, promise

_________________
Seize the day


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:55 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20571
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Wavefan wrote:
Let's just please avoid doing what we have done in the past when it was looking like things were getting very rosy.

Mumble, grumble (Army at HC) cough, cough.

I've all but blocked out Army in Gormley... But I keep thinking about the last two homecomings I attended in the Yulman era, one a blowout at the hands of Memphis ('14) and the other that disgusting display of ineptitude last November against a terrible Cincinnati team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20804
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Gormley homecoming vs army still sets the standard

Huge turnout that day

The couple we tailgated with (which would lead to our more organized tailgates) spent the game on the field and in the locker room at halftime is the faculty of the game. They said the entire thing was miserable, but at the time in the locker room was the most awkward of their life. Both had played college sports (football and wbb respectively)

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20349
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:

The couple we tailgated with (which would lead to our more organized tailgates) spent the game on the field and in the locker room at halftime is the faculty of the game. They said the entire thing was miserable, but at the time in the locker room was the most awkward of their life. Both had played college sports (football and wbb respectively)


This is not a coherent thought

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6966
Location: Dripping Springs
So from what I've been reading, Tulane Athletic Dept has kept HC ticket prices high - $50 each. Believe it's time for the AD to realize they have a good marketing moment and price tickets more attractively to bring in the casual New Orleans college football fan to this game. It's Homecoming and having a large crowd would be super in support of the team. The past two wins have warranted support from the community. Price it accordingly so they will show up. Don't shoot yourself in the foot -TD. Get folks in the stands. Roll Wave! Fill Yulman!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 14380
Ugh. We’re talking about not overlooking anybody which means we’re definitely overlooking somebody

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/tulane/article_2baa1cc8-e219-11e8-84ff-3380086d581e.html

_________________
Seize the day


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21037
Location: North Kenner
sr wrote:
So from what I've been reading, Tulane Athletic Dept has kept HC ticket prices high - $50 each. Believe it's time for the AD to realize they have a good marketing moment and price tickets more attractively to bring in the casual New Orleans college football fan to this game. It's Homecoming and having a large crowd would be super in support of the team. The past two wins have warranted support from the community. Price it accordingly so they will show up. Don't shoot yourself in the foot -TD. Get folks in the stands. Roll Wave! Fill Yulman!!

I saw there were a lot of seats still available as of yesterday. The high prices may keep younger alumni away.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20804
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I’m not saying I support it, but the higher prices for homecoming is nothing new. Meanwhile, we have dropped prices multiple times last year and this year for specific games when we have momentum in order to try to pack the house. TD does “get” it

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20571
Location: Cincinnati, OH
waverider wrote:
I saw there were a lot of seats still available as of yesterday. The high prices may keep decades of losing has kept younger alumni away.
Fixed that for ya.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 870
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:
So from what I've been reading, Tulane Athletic Dept has kept HC ticket prices high - $50 each. Believe it's time for the AD to realize they have a good marketing moment and price tickets more attractively to bring in the casual New Orleans college football fan to this game. It's Homecoming and having a large crowd would be super in support of the team. The past two wins have warranted support from the community. Price it accordingly so they will show up. Don't shoot yourself in the foot -TD. Get folks in the stands. Roll Wave! Fill Yulman!!

I saw there were a lot of seats still available as of yesterday. The high prices may keep younger alumni away.


Free was too much for them too.

_________________
Sadly it's over


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:22 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5838
Every significant pro and college program uses dynamic pricing. Games with more interest cost more than those with less. In Tulane's case, HC tickets cost more than NSU. I believe LSU may have charged 5x or so at face value for GA and Bama than what it charged for an early season OOC game. Whatever the exact spread it was noticeable.

Tulane will draw more in actual numbers Saturday and make more in gross revenue because of the ticket price boost for the game.

The program has some budget responsibilities to maximize its receipts. We can't expect the billionaire board members like Benson and Glazer to pay for everything so we plebs can enjoy Tulane sports for massive discounts in person.

If you don't think the cost is worth it, don't go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 am 
Online
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 2955
Location: Destin, FL
I'll weigh in as someone who is a co-chair of a reunion committee this year. The diehards (i.e. those of us on this board, who have season tickets, regularly attend games, etc.) are going. $25, $50, $100. We're in. Unfortunately there is a very finite number of us - thanks to decades of losing. I and 15 friends from my reunion are going. I've had at least that many tell me they aren't coming because of the price. And I've heard similar stories from others.

Homecoming is the one game that draws the casual fan. The fan who comes back to one game a year/just during their reunion years. It's also the one time the local causal fan comes out - look at the tailgate on Saturday and you will see a number of tents not there for the other 5 games. It's the one opportunity a year to catch the attention of the exact folks we need to start bringing back into our numbers. We all know we've lost a generation of fans from all the losing.

The issue isn't that there are $50 seats. The issue is there is nothing cheaper than $50. I've had multiple reunion attendees tell me they will attend the tailgate, but not go to the game. Tickets for a family of 4 are $200 - before parking, concessions and merchandise. Like it or not, many non-diehards are priced out. If you don't believe me, wait until you see the stadium Saturday. The numbers I've hear are not promising. There's no reason the stadium shouldn't be full. Someone needs to do the math and I guarantee when you add up the extra tickets bought and lost revenue from parking, concessions and merchandise it does not make monetary sense. This does not count the impact a full stadium would have on the team, recruits at the game, in-game experience (as a fan I personally prefer being part of a full house) or the perception of the tv audience.

When we raise the price of EVERY seat to $50, we lose the opportunity to introduce/re-introduce Tulane football (and for many Yulman Stadium) to the largest number of people every year. The casual fan isn't going to go. The people coming back to their reunion aren't going to go. Or at least in my case many of them committed to going and once they saw the price backed out. This isn't LSU raising the price on the Georgia game - where the stadium is basically sold out to season ticket holders and the Georgia fans are being gouged. East Carolina fans aren't facing the brunt of this price increase. It's returning Tulane alumni who come once/once every 5 years and casual local fans we are taxing. For a program in desperate need of growing it's fan base, to me at least, it seems short sighted.

Houston has their homecoming this week for example. Ticket prices for their homecoming game is the same as all their other games - $40/$32/$25/$20.

Yes this policy has been around for a few years. But any policy that does not encourage building our fan base numbers should be revisited immediately IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Donny Z, DrHullabaloo, Fan Since '54, krewe of ham and eggs, niner81, tulaneoutlaw and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group