Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 am 
Emerald Circle

Thank you, Donny. I said the exact same thing last year when I saw ticket prices for homecoming and observed how no one I knew from my law school 20th reunion class was planning to attend the game - literally, no one. That was the definition of a casual fan... Someone who had gone to another school for undergrad so didn't have any Tulane football allegiance built in, yet had a Tulane diploma on their wall, a love for the school, and was going to be on the campus that Saturday afternoon for other activities. My point was the family aspect... folks might have paid $50 for themselves but weren't going to pay $200 - $250 to bring along spouse and kids.

I was pretty much derided and called a cheapskate by mob opinion for even suggesting it.

(and I came alone and got Glazer tix so it wasn't even me I was talking about)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:28 am 
Regent's Circle

Thanks Donny. Basic Ecnomics 101.

FS'54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 am 
Regent's Circle

Interesting replies. Thanks. No big pictures from me. I say this with empathy for these posts. I want any and all to come to Tulane games. I agree we need fans so there is a strong argument to continue what are truly massive discounts. However if you don't want a billionaire's pocket program (which is what we have now), at some point you have to self-generate revenue.

Since it's "basic economics,' please start giving me examples of FBS programs (preferably P5 or AAC but whatever you have) and major league sport teams that do not use dynamic pricing. Houston Cougars has been given. Good. Others? Meanwhile I can give you tens that do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 am 
Regent's Circle

One of the things that raises the prices of the games is the giveaways you get as you enter the stadium. Programs, t-shirts and rally towels for example. That stuff is also figured into the price of the ticket but you seldom think of that when you are receiving those things. "Free" isn't always free.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 am 
Emerald Circle

I'd pay 50 bucks (hell I just paid 65 in Columbus to watch that doody show). People would pay 50 bucks if they thought we would win. How many HC games have we won? The last one I went to we got our doors blown off. People want to spend money to be entertained and let's be fair, most of the alumni have not been entertained in the past.

As i said before. Alumni tickets in an alumni section

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 am 
Emerald Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
One of the things that raises the prices of the games is the giveaways you get as you enter the stadium. Programs, t-shirts and rally towels for example. That stuff is also figured into the price of the ticket but you seldom think of that when you are receiving those things. "Free" isn't always free.

Fan since '54

False

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:40 am 
Navigator Level

Donny Z wrote:
I'll weigh in as someone who is a co-chair of a reunion committee this year. The diehards (i.e. those of us on this board, who have season tickets, regularly attend games, etc.) are going. $25, $50, $100. We're in. Unfortunately there is a very finite number of us - thanks to decades of losing. I and 15 friends from my reunion are going. I've had at least that many tell me they aren't coming because of the price. And I've heard similar stories from others.

Homecoming is the one game that draws the casual fan. The fan who comes back to one game a year/just during their reunion years. It's also the one time the local causal fan comes out - look at the tailgate on Saturday and you will see a number of tents not there for the other 5 games. It's the one opportunity a year to catch the attention of the exact folks we need to start bringing back into our numbers. We all know we've lost a generation of fans from all the losing.

The issue isn't that there are $50 seats. The issue is there is nothing cheaper than $50. I've had multiple reunion attendees tell me they will attend the tailgate, but not go to the game. Tickets for a family of 4 are $200 - before parking, concessions and merchandise. Like it or not, many non-diehards are priced out. If you don't believe me, wait until you see the stadium Saturday. The numbers I've hear are not promising. There's no reason the stadium shouldn't be full. Someone needs to do the math and I guarantee when you add up the extra tickets bought and lost revenue from parking, concessions and merchandise it does not make monetary sense. This does not count the impact a full stadium would have on the team, recruits at the game, in-game experience (as a fan I personally prefer being part of a full house) or the perception of the tv audience.

When we raise the price of EVERY seat to $50, we lose the opportunity to introduce/re-introduce Tulane football (and for many Yulman Stadium) to the largest number of people every year. The casual fan isn't going to go. The people coming back to their reunion aren't going to go. Or at least in my case many of them committed to going and once they saw the price backed out. This isn't LSU raising the price on the Georgia game - where the stadium is basically sold out to season ticket holders and the Georgia fans are being gouged. East Carolina fans aren't facing the brunt of this price increase. It's returning Tulane alumni who come once/once every 5 years and casual local fans we are taxing. For a program in desperate need of growing it's fan base, to me at least, it seems short sighted.

Houston has their homecoming this week for example. Ticket prices for their homecoming game is the same as all their other games - $40/$32/$25/$20.

Yes this policy has been around for a few years. But any policy that does not encourage building our fan base numbers should be revisited immediately IMHO.

Well stated. I would just note at this point we've lost three generations of fans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
I'll weigh in as someone who is a co-chair of a reunion committee this year. The diehards (i.e. those of us on this board, who have season tickets, regularly attend games, etc.) are going. $25, $50, $100. We're in. Unfortunately there is a very finite number of us - thanks to decades of losing. I and 15 friends from my reunion are going. I've had at least that many tell me they aren't coming because of the price. And I've heard similar stories from others.

Homecoming is the one game that draws the casual fan. The fan who comes back to one game a year/just during their reunion years. It's also the one time the local causal fan comes out - look at the tailgate on Saturday and you will see a number of tents not there for the other 5 games. It's the one opportunity a year to catch the attention of the exact folks we need to start bringing back into our numbers. We all know we've lost a generation of fans from all the losing.

The issue isn't that there are $50 seats. The issue is there is nothing cheaper than $50. I've had multiple reunion attendees tell me they will attend the tailgate, but not go to the game. Tickets for a family of 4 are $200 - before parking, concessions and merchandise. Like it or not, many non-diehards are priced out. If you don't believe me, wait until you see the stadium Saturday. The numbers I've hear are not promising. There's no reason the stadium shouldn't be full. Someone needs to do the math and I guarantee when you add up the extra tickets bought and lost revenue from parking, concessions and merchandise it does not make monetary sense. This does not count the impact a full stadium would have on the team, recruits at the game, in-game experience (as a fan I personally prefer being part of a full house) or the perception of the tv audience.

When we raise the price of EVERY seat to $50, we lose the opportunity to introduce/re-introduce Tulane football (and for many Yulman Stadium) to the largest number of people every year. The casual fan isn't going to go. The people coming back to their reunion aren't going to go. Or at least in my case many of them committed to going and once they saw the price backed out. This isn't LSU raising the price on the Georgia game - where the stadium is basically sold out to season ticket holders and the Georgia fans are being gouged. East Carolina fans aren't facing the brunt of this price increase. It's returning Tulane alumni who come once/once every 5 years and casual local fans we are taxing. For a program in desperate need of growing it's fan base, to me at least, it seems short sighted.

Houston has their homecoming this week for example. Ticket prices for their homecoming game is the same as all their other games - $40/$32/$25/$20.

Yes this policy has been around for a few years. But any policy that does not encourage building our fan base numbers should be revisited immediately IMHO.

Well stated. I would just note at this point we've lost three generations of fans.

Well, you can't say that we've lost three generations of fans just because of policy. Some of them have certainly "gone to another place", and by that I mean perished or became LScrew fans.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:48 am 
Coach Level

Baywave1 wrote:
Since it's "basic economics,' please start giving me examples of FBS programs (preferably P5 or AAC but whatever you have) and major league sport teams that do not use dynamic pricing. Houston Cougars has been given. Good. Others? Meanwhile I can give you tens that do.

Last season has been the only season in the last 20 years where my Saints season tickets appeared to be on a dynamic pricing plan. At least based on the face value on the ticket. They went back to the same face value for every game this season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am 
Emerald Circle

I understand the discussion on all sides of this. It’s a conundrum. You need revenue to move forward but you cannot move forward without revenue.

I have donated annually since I graduated, going on 40 years, without the idea that “I’m done” when the athletic teams Lucy us yet again. I may get angry but I am a slow learner. I know some here throw grenades at people like me for being from out of town and not buying season tickets. But I donate the equivalent of season ticket purchase every year without expecting anything in return. When folks complain about the price changes, they are making a financial decision no different than any other entertainment dollar decision. That’s a different construct than donating to Tulane because you want to.

I bought two tickets for great seats for Homecoming without thinking about it. I paid more as a walk up when Tulane played at Temple. I’m happy but perhaps there is merit in looking at dynamic Yulman pricing for the folks who only consider entertainment value.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Thank you, Donny. I said the exact same thing last year when I saw ticket prices for homecoming and observed how no one I knew from my law school 20th reunion class was planning to attend the game - literally, no one. That was the definition of a casual fan... Someone who had gone to another school for undergrad so didn't have any Tulane football allegiance built in, yet had a Tulane diploma on their wall, a love for the school, and was going to be on the campus that Saturday afternoon for other activities. My point was the family aspect... folks might have paid $50 for themselves but weren't going to pay $200 - $250 to bring along spouse and kids.

I was pretty much derided and called a cheapskate by mob opinion for even suggesting it.

I'm all for lowering the price of tickets...hard to raise prices on something in the face of no demand. However, I severely doubt that doing so would make any meaningful difference in the decisions of people already coming in town for HC. Again, we're talking about people that couldn't be bothered to go to games for free when in school...spend hundreds if not thousands of $ to come for HC and now all of a sudden an extra what, $20, makes all the difference?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am 
Regent's Circle

Donny Z wrote:

Exactly. Pricing options - is that so difficult?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I'm all for lowering the price of tickets...hard to raise prices on something in the face of no demand. However, I severely doubt that doing so would make any meaningful difference in the decisions of people already coming in town for HC. Again, we're talking about people that couldn't be bothered to go to games for free when in school...spend hundreds if not thousands of $ to come for HC and now all of a sudden an extra what, $20, makes all the difference?
Why are you quoting me? I'm just confirming that what Donny said is exactly what I've experienced.
(that was a rhetorical question, BTW, I know why you quoted me)

And yes, if you're on a tight budget with a large family and you're spending $3000 on a weekend homecoming trip, another $300 probably is enough to consider twice, if it's not a priority. Every dollar less tilts the "maybe I'll go" meter farther towards "go". If it were $100 for a family, that's 3% of your trip rather than 10%, ya know?

That said, I recognize that a portion of this board doesn't have financial limits and can't grasp this concept, nor even the idea that any Tulane grad should be in a position to be concerned about finances.

FWIW, the people who didn't go in my day when it was free chose not to because it was not worth their time to go through the hoops to get to the dome, park, etc., etc. And watch a 2-9 team. Despite that, most of them went to at least one game to see what the dome experience was like. They'd be curious now to see Yulman too, and if the team was winning and getting national recognition, it wouldn't be a question they'd want to go. Whether a couple hundred dollars made the difference would vary per person but at this point, historical apathy isn't the driver, it's a combination of curiosity, cost, and team performance. And as I mentioned previously, quite a few of them who did not attend regularly while in school are planning to go this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:46 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

And as I mentioned previously, quite a few of them who did not attend regularly while in school are planning to go this weekend.

So the $50 cost is not a deal breaker then for those interested in going? Cool, cool.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

Well, I went to every Tulane football, men’s basketball and baseball games when I was a student except for the year I went JYA to the UK. Maybe because I was the first in my family to go to college I wanted to squeeze every ounce out of every experience. I got involved in everything I could as a student for the same reason: CACTUS, a frat for a couple of years, student government, NROTC stuff. I liked the food in Bruff—when you grow up food insecure Bruff looked like a banquet. Freshman year it was a 30 second walk from Phelps to Tulane Stadium. Super Bowl too. Sophomore and senior years sometimes my roommates and I would be almost alone on the bus to the Superdome. Didn’t matter.

We all make our choices but one thing is apparent to me: folks here are conflating entertainment with God-help-me-til-I-die-loyalty. Have I always been entertained? Absolutely not. Have I always stuck with it through mostly thin? Absolutely. Even during the JYA years I’d stay awake in the UK trying to snatch a Tulane score from Armed Forces Radio early Sunday morning and buy an International Herald Tribune on Monday to read a one inch column on the game. When I was deployed on my submarines I’d make the radiomen copy the broadcast at periscope depth long enough to get scores. It’s a sickness.

So, a $50 ticket is fine for me as is flying in when I can. There’s more to it for me than entertainment. We all do what we have to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

And as I mentioned previously, quite a few of them who did not attend regularly while in school are planning to go this weekend.

So the $50 cost is not a deal breaker then for those interested in going? Cool, cool.

Nice job of making generalities out of specifics. As I stated, some folks don't let finances get in the way of anything they want to do.

Here's a generality for you: I do believe the attendance would be higher on homecoming weekend if ticket prices were lower for returning alumni and their families. By how much? I have no idea. But if you're gonna consider lowering prices in some situations in order to drive attendance, doing it for returning alumni on homecoming weekend makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Nice job of making generalities out of specifics. As I stated, some folks don't let finances get in the way of anything they want to do.

Here's a generality for you: I do believe the attendance would be higher on homecoming weekend if ticket prices were lower for returning alumni and their families. By how much? I have no idea. But if you're gonna consider lowering prices in some situations in order to drive attendance, doing it for returning alumni on homecoming weekend makes a lot of sense.
Driving attendance for one game is great but if your goal is building long term fans/attendance then lowering prices for returning alumni will not help. I could see where lower prices could provide some longer term tangential benefits like giving or goodwill or whatever. Based on their actions, it looks like the goal of the athletic department is to maximize the short term revenue from ticket sales.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

FWIW, UH does have dynamic pricing. It used it for Arizona (premium) and Texas Southern (discount.) It chose not to for Homecoming unlike Tulane.

https://uhcougars.com/sports/2018/6/12/ ... -html.aspx

I welcome examples of any P6 team that does not use dynamic pricing. Most apparently use it but I'm not checking 70 websites to confirm. So blast away if I'm wrong. I'm glad to hear Saints don't do it. Pelicans however do. I'm not aware of a single MLB team that doesn't use it.

BTW, I don't like dynamic pricing for many of the reasons explained above by others. However I don't think it's fair to single out Tulane for doing what the vast majority in this business are doing whether it's wise or not. So I can understand why they do use it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:18 pm 
Coach Level

I am done with trying to figure out ways to generate interest in the team and begging friends to take my tickets and go to a game. If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. I've got my tickets. I will be there. If we keep cheapening our product, then why the heck should I even pay for season tickets. I can just pick them up free on the ground or wait for dynamic pricing of $2 for the next FBS game.

We all know winning is the long term solution to get butts in the seats. This weekend seems like a good time to begin testing the theory. People are willing to pay big $$ to see winners. $50 isn't asking too much for what should be a good game and a chance to watch TU really turn the corner. It may take a couple of seasons of consistent winning to really fill the place up, but in the meantime, let's act like we're a big time program and quit begging people to come to our games. WIN.

And by the way, if you look at stub hub, there are tickets starting at $35, so after fees, you could get the ticket for $40. Last week, I'm sure they were cheaper. Three weeks ago, you probably could have got them for $10. If someone really wanted to go, they could go. The $50 thing is an excuse, not a reason!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:55 pm 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
I believe LSU may have charged 5x or so at face value for GA and Bama than what it charged for an early season OOC game.

This can't be right. I remember the outrage at the Tulane baseball ticket prices for the LSU games and LSU would never do such a thing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 pm 
Trainer

sprout1550 wrote:
I am done with trying to figure out ways to generate interest in the team and begging friends to take my tickets and go to a game. If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. I've got my tickets. I will be there.

Very sympathetic to this point of view. Having supported many teams in half-empty venues, I've learned that I can only control my own enjoyment and level of support.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

sprout1550 wrote:
If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. (...) We all know winning is the long term solution to get butts in the seats. This weekend seems like a good time to begin testing the theory. People are willing to pay big $$ to see winners. $50 isn't asking too much for what should be a good game and a chance to watch TU really turn the corner. It may take a couple of seasons of consistent winning to really fill the place up, but in the meantime, let's act like we're a big time program and quit begging people to come to our games. Win. (...) The $50 thing is an excuse, not a reason!

The problem is the same thing they say in business about how one bad review negates hundreds of good ones. A couple of stink bombs negate all the good that Memphis and USF did. UAB is a game that most folks didn't see (witness the max online watching on Facebook being like 2100 people) but just losing to UAB hurts public opinion. The SMU game is one that more people probably saw, and by all accounts was a painful experience to see (I was unable to see that one). Had we won those two, the level of buzz and positivity around our program would be exponentially higher. But those losses virtually negate the impressive Memphis and USF wins in the court of public opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:15 pm 
Breaker Level

I went to the alumni tailgate this past weekend. If I had $50 for every "you flew here just for this?" reaction I received, I would be able to buy homecoming tickets for everyone complaining that the price is cost-prohibitive.

This is the current state of Tulane athletics and I'm not happy with it, but I'm used to it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
sprout1550 wrote:
If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. (...) We all know winning is the long term solution to get butts in the seats. This weekend seems like a good time to begin testing the theory. People are willing to pay big $$ to see winners. $50 isn't asking too much for what should be a good game and a chance to watch TU really turn the corner. It may take a couple of seasons of consistent winning to really fill the place up, but in the meantime, let's act like we're a big time program and quit begging people to come to our games. Win. (...) The $50 thing is an excuse, not a reason!

The problem is the same thing they say in business about how one bad review negates hundreds of good ones. A couple of stink bombs negate all the good that Memphis and USF did. UAB is a game that most folks didn't see (witness the max online watching on Facebook being like 2100 people) but just losing to UAB hurts public opinion. The SMU game is one that more people probably saw, and by all accounts was a painful experience to see (I was unable to see that one). Had we won those two, the level of buzz and positivity around our program would be exponentially higher. But those losses virtually negate the impressive Memphis and USF wins in the court of public opinion.

Take it a step further... if the only games people go to are a HC game every few years and all they see is losses, why waste the money and time going?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:09 pm 
President's Circle

angrywavedad wrote:
sprout1550 wrote:
I am done with trying to figure out ways to generate interest in the team and begging friends to take my tickets and go to a game. If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. I've got my tickets. I will be there.

Very sympathetic to this point of view. Having supported many teams in half-empty venues, I've learned that I can only control my own enjoyment and level of support.

I just try to let people know 'the door is always open' to going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next