Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
sprout1550 wrote:
If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. (...) We all know winning is the long term solution to get butts in the seats. This weekend seems like a good time to begin testing the theory. People are willing to pay big $$ to see winners. $50 isn't asking too much for what should be a good game and a chance to watch TU really turn the corner. It may take a couple of seasons of consistent winning to really fill the place up, but in the meantime, let's act like we're a big time program and quit begging people to come to our games. Win. (...) The $50 thing is an excuse, not a reason!

The problem is the same thing they say in business about how one bad review negates hundreds of good ones. A couple of stink bombs negate all the good that Memphis and USF did. UAB is a game that most folks didn't see (witness the max online watching on Facebook being like 2100 people) but just losing to UAB hurts public opinion. The SMU game is one that more people probably saw, and by all accounts was a painful experience to see (I was unable to see that one). Had we won those two, the level of buzz and positivity around our program would be exponentially higher. But those losses virtually negate the impressive Memphis and USF wins in the court of public opinion.

Take it a step further... if the only games people go to are a HC game every few years and all they see is losses, why waste the money and time going?
You’ve met my wife, then! :lol: Throw in some away games at Army, Rutgers, Navy too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
sprout1550 wrote:
If a two game road sweep, including an underdog victory against a good S. FL team, and homecoming isn't good enough to get butts in the seats, even with the $50 price, then scr$w it. (...) We all know winning is the long term solution to get butts in the seats. This weekend seems like a good time to begin testing the theory. People are willing to pay big $$ to see winners. $50 isn't asking too much for what should be a good game and a chance to watch TU really turn the corner. It may take a couple of seasons of consistent winning to really fill the place up, but in the meantime, let's act like we're a big time program and quit begging people to come to our games. Win. (...) The $50 thing is an excuse, not a reason!

The problem is the same thing they say in business about how one bad review negates hundreds of good ones. A couple of stink bombs negate all the good that Memphis and USF did. UAB is a game that most folks didn't see (witness the max online watching on Facebook being like 2100 people) but just losing to UAB hurts public opinion. The SMU game is one that more people probably saw, and by all accounts was a painful experience to see (I was unable to see that one). Had we won those two, the level of buzz and positivity around our program would be exponentially higher. But those losses virtually negate the impressive Memphis and USF wins in the court of public opinion.

Take it a step further... if the only games people go to are a HC game every few years and all they see is losses, why waste the money and time going?
You’ve met my wife, then! :lol: Throw in some away games at Army, Rutgers, Navy too.

She was hanging out with my wife too

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 pm 
Cornerstone

People are shelling out $200 and up for tickets to Hamilton. A Tulane game is more entertaining, supportive of our team, and supportive of our alma mater. I heartily believe that entertainment prices are grossly over-inflated, but as a practical matter, economic principles set the rates.

In comparison with other forms of entertainment, $50 for a homecoming ticket seems quite reasonable--especially when you consider that tickets to just about anything else won't give back to our school.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
People are shelling out $200 and up for tickets to Hamilton. A Tulane game is more entertaining, supportive of our team, and supportive of our alma mater. I heartily believe that entertainment prices are grossly over-inflated, but as a practical matter, economic principles set the rates.
Dude, this is one of your crazier posts and you've had some doozies. So you're arguing against middle school Economics class "supply and demand" and claiming Americans should choose Tulane football over all? There is no demand for Tulane football compared to Hamilton. Defining which is "more entertaining" is subjective. Many people (say, uh, my wife for instance) would choose Hamilton over Tulane playing in the CFP CG. And most here probably would choose Hamilton over our OSU or SMU games...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 pm 
President's Circle

So here is the hard truth. If we want a top 40 program we are going to have to pay coaches, staff, program amenities, stadium maintenance, and a plethora of other things. Complaining about $50 for a single game ticket actually shows (whether you intend to or not) what you expect out of the program or how little you know about major college football. The same people complaining about the $50 price at tailgates while also complaining that we cant be good at football or the admin doesn't invest need to take a good hard look in the mirror.

As for the whole attracting fans with low prices, what do you do if we win? If you raise the prices they will complain. You cant please everyone. I also imagine that other games a re cheaper because homecoming is bumped up. Doesn't that make it easier for causal fans to attend? 5 dates of cheap tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 pm 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
So here is the hard truth. If we want a top 40 program we are going to have to pay coaches, staff, program amenities, stadium maintenance, and a plethora of other things. Complaining about $50 for a single game ticket actually shows (whether you intend to or not) what you expect out of the program or how little you know about major college football. The same people complaining about the $50 price at tailgates while also complaining that we cant be good at football or the admin doesn't invest need to take a good hard look in the mirror.

As for the whole attracting fans with low prices, what do you do if we win? If you raise the prices they will complain. You cant please everyone. I also imagine that other games a re cheaper because homecoming is bumped up. Doesn't that make it easier for causal fans to attend? 5 dates of cheap tickets.

<Insert Morgan Freeman "he's right you know">

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

We're in the building stage, we're not in the arrived stage.

We have players, coaches and the Athletic department all over social media requesting us to “#PackYulman” for our biggest home game in years. What's the easiest way to do that?

Is it with a ticket price that is much higher than every other home game?

Someone looking for something to do on Saturday in New Orleans for a family of four could go to an NBA game for as little as $28. Or they could come to our game for $200. If you're trying to get people in the stadium to pack Yulman for a 4-5 team playing a 2-6 team why not make it easy? We have plenty of unsold seats.

The issue isn’t so much doubling the ticket price for this one game, it’s that there are NO lower priced ticket options like there are for all other games. Our next home game tickets are $25 for sideline and $5 for end zone seats. Why not a $10 or $15 end zone seat for this one?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Roller wrote:
Dude, this is one of your crazier posts and you've had some doozies. So you're arguing against middle school Economics class "supply and demand" and claiming Americans should choose Tulane football over all? There is no demand for Tulane football compared to Hamilton. Defining which is "more entertaining" is subjective. Many people (say, uh, my wife for instance) would choose Hamilton over Tulane playing in the CFP CG. And most here probably would choose Hamilton over our OSU or SMU games...

I've met your wife, she'd choose the football championship game (I say that solely based on game theory). Now another OSU game after being stuck in traffic with your kids for two hours...hamilton by a mile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

Big EZ Wave wrote:

We have players, coaches and the Athletic department all over social media requesting us to “#PackYulman” for our biggest home game in years. What's the easiest way to do that?

Someone looking for something to do on Saturday in New Orleans for a family of four could go to an NBA game for as little as $28. Or they could come to our game for $200. If you're trying to get people in the stadium to pack Yulman for a 4-5 team playing a 2-6 team why not make it easy? We have plenty of unsold seats.

The issue isn’t so much doubling the ticket price for this one game, it’s that there are NO lower priced ticket options like there are for all other games. Our next home game tickets are $25 for sideline and $5 for end zone seats. Why not a $10 or $15 end zone seat for this one?

The frick kind of doody NBA team do you have? You play in a dinky stadium and charge 7 bucks a ticket? I can't even get a beer for that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:20 am 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:
Big EZ Wave wrote:

The frick kind of doody NBA team do you have? You play in a dinky stadium and charge 7 bucks a ticket? I can't even get a beer for that.

A much better NBA team than the one in Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 am 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
Big EZ Wave wrote:

I have no idea but 7 bucks for a game tells you no support

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:07 am 
Regent's Circle

The Pels don't sell $7 tickets to see the Warriors or the Lakers. They do it for teams like the Kings. That's dynamic pricing.

The analogy for Tulane is to charge less for say Nicholls State than it does for its most attractive home game, in this case, Homecoming. What do you know? Tulane did exactly that just like our beloved Pelicans.

If someone prefers the Pels-Kings to Tulane-ECU/NSU/whoever, go see the NBA. This isn't purgatory.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:41 am 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:

Best post of this thread, by a mile.

I don't which of us posters did the research, and I'm paraphrasing, but the P5 teams get $41M for a TV contract while the AAC teams get, what, $3M? How the he!! are we supposed to compete with that?! And we're complaining about a $50 ticket? Not only is the TV discrepancy huge, but you cannot get season tix for UGA, for example, without paying into some "alumni fund" to the tune of $1600. ANY season tix, even the nosebleeds.

We can complain all we want about the cartel and trying to be a P6 blah, blah, blah, but no way can we compete if p!ss and moan about a $50 seat to a game. Clearly, we have been at a chicken-and-the-egg situation for years now, but at least we have a BOA, a Pres and an AD committed to building a good program and (potentially at least--jury still out) a competent coach to be able to pull it off.

I love ya, roller, but because you live outside of NOLA (like 85% of all alums), you don't attend but what, maybe 2-3 games/year, tops? If $50 is that much of a hardship, go to Mother's or Mandina's or Frankie & Johnny's instead of Commander's when you visit. As for the locals, you gotta know that we need more $$ injected into this program to make it consistently competitive.

Frankly, I wish the BOA would quit building more buildings on campus for awhile (and the hodgepodge of architecture) and spend it on football. But that's just me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 am 
Emerald Circle

They get $41M per year from TV and we get $1.7M. So, yeah.

However, ticket costs are not what's funding or not funding the football program (as evidenced in sentence above). That's just "how much can we charge that people will pay to attempt to pay for the actual costs of putting on the game?" Basic supply and demand. Demand being driven by a number of things, from customer loyalty to convenience to gameday experience to cost to expected entertainment level to, heck, does it conflict with little Sally's soccer game.

I'd think - well, I'd hope, but this IS Tulane - that people have done supply and demand studies. Again, this is Tulane, so "some person in Wilson guesses at public sentiment" might be the extent of the thought given to pricing for various games. At least it would have been during the prior regime.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 am 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

However, ticket costs are not what's funding or not funding the football program (as evidenced in sentence above). That's just "how much can we charge that people will pay to attempt to pay for the actual costs of putting on the game?" Basic supply and demand. Demand being driven by a number of things, from customer loyalty to convenience to gameday experience to cost to expected entertainment level to, heck, does it conflict with little Sally's soccer game.

I'd think - well, I'd hope, but this IS Tulane - that people have done supply and demand studies. Again, this is Tulane, so "some person in Wilson guesses at public sentiment" might be the extent of the thought given to pricing for various games. At least it would have been during the prior regime.

Just a few numbers. The 41 referenced is the top of the top, not what say Wake, Wazzou, or TCU is getting. AAC chatter is Aresco is aiming for 10+ per school in our next contract which begins in '20 I believe. That would be 40% of what the TCU's, Wazzou's, and Wake's of the world are getting.

The SEC's ranged from $41.9 million to $39.1 million.
The Big Ten gave about $34.8 million to each of its 11 longest-standing members, and smaller amounts to Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers.
The Big 12's ranged from $28.9 million to $28 million.
The Pac-12's were about $28.7 million per school.

As far as total "American earned $42.179 million in postseason tournaments, including money generated from the NCAA Tournament, revenue from appearances in bowl games and a share of the College Football Playoff as mandated by the playoff management group."
In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn ($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston ($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU ($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

And in one trip to OSU, we brought in somewhere between 40% to 50% of the entire AAC payout to Tulane.

Aresco talks big (which is fine). It will be interesting to see what the market bears by then. If UCF goes undefeated again, I wouldn't be surprised if they are entertaining P5 interest before then, and if they bolt, we're not getting 8 figures each.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
And in one trip to OSU, we brought in somewhere between 40% to 50% of the entire AAC payout to Tulane.

Aresco talks big (which is fine). It will be interesting to see what the market bears by then. If UCF goes undefeated again, I wouldn't be surprised if they are entertaining P5 interest before then, and if they bolt, we're not getting 8 figures each.

Other chatter suggest 7-8 mil per team is more likely. Either way this is money for just showing up. We will be distancing ourselves from the G4. The pay out games like Auburn and Ohio state I don't have a problem with. As long as we are still playing P5 teams at home also.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

Since our AD operates at a (pretty significant) deficit, every dollar counts. The demand for homecoming is probably higher than for any other game this year, hence the higher ticket prices. Wonder how many we sell at that price, maybe 2,000? That's 100k which will pay for a couple/three of our "analysts". If tickets were say $25, there's no way that we'd double our sales.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
Big EZ Wave wrote:

I have no idea but 7 bucks for a game tells you no support

New Orleans has 1/5(?) the population of Chicago, 1/200 the corporate base of Chicago, and 1/x the money of Chicago. Tickets to events in New Orleans are always going to seem inexpensive to you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
Big EZ Wave wrote:

Comfortably 9 points better, I'd say... :-D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

If this thread is still about point spreads, it's down to Wave -11.5 now. I guess some handicapper did their homework on the Tulane homecoming bugaboo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:25 am 
Emerald Circle

1309th WAVE wrote:
If this thread is still about point spreads, it's down to Wave -11.5 now. I guess some handicapper did their homework on the Tulane homecoming bugaboo.

Exactly my thought when I noticed the line this morning on my score app.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 am 
President's Circle

I don’t believe there is anyone on this thread complaining about $50 tickets for themselves. If you’re posting on this (or any of the) messages boards you likely have season tickets, have paid the $50 or would gladly pay more than $50 to support the team. We’re not the issue. The few and the proud will be there no matter what the price is. The issue is that number is small. Too small. How many? Well we all see it at every home game.

The issue is there is zero options for anyone under $50. Is there another example of every seat in the stadium being the same price? Would one really expect someone to pay the same price for an end zone seat as a Westfeldt seat? Is that dynamic pricing?

Keep the $50 tickets for premium and sideline. The likelihood is the same people buying those would still buy them. But have an end zone ticket for $15, $20 or $25 for example (still dynamic pricing because that’s 3-5 more expensive than the end zone seats for the navy game). If you pick up an extra 2,000 fans that’s an extra $30,000 to $50,000 in revenue. Plus parking, concessions and merchandise. Coaches and budgets aren’t paid in per ticket $$$$. It’s paid in revenue. Simple math says there’s two factors in revenue. Price plus amount of tickets sold. Both factors lead to the bottom line. I do not see how having ticket options impacts anyone. No one paying $50 for premium sideline seats would/should complain about end zone seats being cheaper (or they’d complain about every game in every stadium in the country).

How much demand is out there for lower ticket prices seats? None of us really know. But I’ll say this. In my law school reunion class we have 52 non season ticket holder attendees. 11 bought tickets to the game (we have 18 now total with season ticket holders and kids). So we are essentially at 20%. Pathetic and not enough. And that’s with me organizing a block of tickets together and badgering people to buy them. When the reunion was first announced I originally had interest from 30 before many were scared off by the price. Essentially 3 times more than ended up buying.

The second thing is I was told last night that on stubb hubb - where they had tickets for as low as $14 early this week - now only has tickets at face value. The lower priced tickets have been scooped up. Also telling me there’s a demand for the lower prices.

No one is wanting Tulane to make less revenue. The suggestion is an attempt to make more revenue and put more fans in the stands.

If the stadium is 80-90% full tomorrow I’ll delete my posts and offer kudos to everyone at Tulane (and I think this is a Tulane issue from what I’ve gathered. No necessarily an athletic department issue. Which is a whole other issue...). I’m not holding my breath. In the meantime hope to see many of you tomorrow as we go for 3 in a row!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:56 am 
President's Circle

1309th WAVE wrote:

This is right in line with what S&P+ predicts. We are 11.8 point favorites according to their metrics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am 
Emerald Circle

I guess I would prefer a big crowd of fans who pad a variety of ticket prices to be there rather than a near empty stadium with fans who paid a premium to be there. Better for the Program too, IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next