The most arrogant article I have ever seen

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
EagerBiever
Breaker Level

The most arrogant article I have ever seen

Post by EagerBiever »

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bul ... he-season/

I'm used to seeing angry articles when an opponent loses to Tulane over this years (particularly a few years ago when simply losing to Tulane was a fireable offense), but this really takes the cake.

The entire article makes you wonder if this author thinks he covers Alabama rather than a directional state school in Florida, but this is the line that really stuck out:

"If Strong wasn't 7-1 heading into Saturday, and 17-3 at USF, he'd be on the way out. Instead, he is stuck here, far from the Power Five, sentenced for the foreseeable future to life at USF and, as with Saturday, slow death."

Could you imagine complaining about the state of a program when a team has a 17-4 record over 2 years that includes going 4-0 vs P5 opponents? I think any G5 school in the country would take that record, as well as 95% of P5 schools
ClearWaterWave
Navigator Level

Re: The most arrogant article I have ever seen

Post by ClearWaterWave »

I get the TBT. Read the article on Sunday. Fennelly is always referring to USF as a second tier wasteland program and that is as good as he gets.

If I was a USF fan I would be seething. This guy is the MOST negative sports writer on earth. Never an encouraging word for the Bulls.
But I guess its all you can expect from a sports writer who is:

...stuck here, far from the Power Five, sentenced for the foreseeable future to life at the dying TBT and, as with print journalism, a slow death. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:

And I thought the TP was hard on TU...Geez.

He clearly suffers from 'cranium in anno'.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

From Guerry Smith:
Testy exchange between USF coach Charlie Strong and someone on AAC conference call today who asked him if there would be any coaching changes after watching film of loss to #Tulane. Strong: "We won 7 games, did we not? Were we 7-0? Why would there be coaching changes?"
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

That's the same article as this thread on yogwf btw

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51550
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
EagerBiever
Breaker Level

Post by EagerBiever »

WaveProf wrote:That's the same article as this thread on yogwf btw

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51550
Whoops sorry
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

At first I thought this was some USF fan's blog, then I noticed it is an actual publication. Hardly any coverage of the actual football game, just calling out coaches and players and calling them quitters.

Bush league journalism like this gave us the infamous "I'm a man!! I'm 40!!" speech about 10 years ago.
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

Let's just say that he is a far cry from Grantland Rice.

I suppose the days of humble in victory, gracious in defeat have long since passed, but you would think that anyone who actually pretends to be a sports writer would give just a little bit of credit, some brief acknowledgement, to a team that was, on paper, a significant underdog, and came in and just whipped the other team in every phase. He writes more like an Alabama fan than an Alabama beat writer, and of course he is neither. While I would love to see just a tad more "homerism" from the local media that covers Tulane, I hope we never have to endure such a one-sided rant from anyone with a local paper or TV or radio station. What a buffoon.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Perhaps he is kin to the knot of nattering nabobs of negativism who covered Tulane since the inauspicious death of the States-Item?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

JtS wrote:Perhaps he is kin to the knot of nattering nabobs of negativism who covered Tulane since the inauspicious death of the States-Item?
I miss the States-Item. Never liked the T-P.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
JtS wrote:Perhaps he is kin to the knot of nattering nabobs of negativism who covered Tulane since the inauspicious death of the States-Item?
I miss the States-Item. Never liked the T-P.
Sweeney was the best beat reporter Tulane has had in my lifetime.