Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H/H w/ ULL
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

From Guerry Mith:

#Tulane and ULL will play a home-and-home in football down the road, with the Wave traveling to Cajun Field on Sept. 21, 2024 and ULL traveling to Yulman Stadium on Sept. 4, 2027. Last time Tulane went to Lafayette was 2012. Cajuns came to Yulman in 2016

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Post subject: Re: H/H w/ ULL
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

What's the buyout?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

The first game is the same day as the home game against Kansas state that was announced.Anybody know what gives?

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm 
Coach Level

I've always believed we should play both ULL and USM home and home with one year playing one home and the other away. Each year we would guarantee ourselves a home game with a nice size crowd from the visitors (money in ticket sales & concessions) and a road game within driving distance. Also, and more importantly, 2 non conference games we should win most years to help us get to 6 wins and a bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

don't know how I feel about a home and home with ULL. Never really enjoyed or looked forward to the games, not sure how it moves our Program forward.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wonderful.
I don't give a crap about visitor crowds. Prioritizing that is one of the problems in these parts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
I've always believed we should play both ULL and USM home and home with one year playing one home and the other away. Each year we would guarantee ourselves a home game with a nice size crowd from the visitors (money in ticket sales & concessions) and a road game within driving distance. Also, and more importantly, 2 non conference games we should win most years to help us get to 6 wins and a bowl.

And then an FCS team and then one good game? Good Lord man, have you no shame?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:33 pm 
Breaker Level

GSx wrote:
Wonderful.
I don't give a crap about visitor crowds. Prioritizing that is one of the problems in these parts.

When we get hardly any visitors for too many of our conference-mates (what do we expect from ECU? 12-15?), it doesn't hurt to have a game like this on the schedule. Though I'd rather it be our FCS game and guaranteed win. We don't get much out of losing to ULL; however, we SHOULDN'T lose to ULL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

ULL is the correct game. Tweet coming

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
don't know how I feel about a home and home with ULL. Never really enjoyed or looked forward to the games, not sure how it moves our Program forward.

That is what LSU fans say about Tulane.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm 
President's Circle

Playing home and home with ULL, LaTech, ULM is fine by me. Let us not act like LSU. To belittle series with these programs and bemoan LSU's not playing us is idiotic. Believe it or not more casual Tulane fans would be more likely to attend a home game vs ULL than Tulsa, SMU, Temple, Uconn, or a few other conference opponents. The same goes for USM.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

Context:

2024:
We open with 4 straight non conference games
SeLA
Kansas State
@Oklahoma
@ULL

2027:
We open with three straight out of conference games and one more game to be booked:
ULL
@USM
@Wake Forest

I suspect will add a Fcs team week 4 or 5

Last edited by WaveProf on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
The first game is the same day as the home game against Kansas state that was announced.Anybody know what gives?

This shows the K-State game as 9/7/24
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/tulane/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

This shows the K-State game as 9/7/24
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/tulane/

Gerry—— That site has been updated in the last two hours. I tweeted at Guerry Smith asking about it, he said he would investigate, then he updated and so did the site shortly thereafter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

That is what LSU fans say about Tulane.

Other than the ~100 year history, they're not wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

You crack me up! Shame has nothing to do with it - I know you all would like to play a SEC schedule every year but I'd rather go to a bowl game and try and build a winning program that is sustainable. At some future time we may be able to beef up the schedule. However, this year if we would have played USM instead of Ohio State we would be one win closer to a bowl game. Yes, its fun to see Ohio State on the schedule but it doesn't help with the goal of going to a bowl game.

I went to Ohio State, also went to Oklahoma last year too and while they were fun trips I would trade the as$ drubbing at Oklahoma for a win over ULL and a bowl.

Good Lord man, have you no shame? You want to know what shame is? Shame is having played in 3 bowl games in the last 30 years. But yeah, Let's just schedule Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson next year for our non conference games. How much fun would that be!? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Context:

2024:
SeLA
Kansas State
@Oklahoma
@ULL

2027:
We open with three straight out of conference games and one more game to be booked:
ULL
@USM
@Wake Forest

I think we add a P6 team at home. TD seems to want to play two a year. If we where to catch lightning in a bottle playing only Wake from P5 would really hurt us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Context:

2024:
SeLA
Kansas State
@Oklahoma
@ULL

2027:
ULL
@USM
@Wake Forest

I think we add a P6 team at home. TD seems to want to play two a year. If we where to catch lightning in a bottle playing only Wake from P5 would really hurt us.

He also seems to want to play a FCS every year.
This is why such lazy scheduling as this won't cut it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm 
President's Circle

GSx wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Context:

2024:
SeLA
Kansas State
@Oklahoma
@ULL

2027:
ULL
@USM
@Wake Forest

He also seems to want to play a FCS every year.
This is why such lazy scheduling as this won't cut it.

Maybe he's considering ULL as the FCS that year? Why is it lazy exactly? What are you looking for in a schedule? Just trying to understand your stance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 pm 
Navigator Level

The key to building a fan base is to win and be respected. That means playing opponents who are respected. I don't say we should never play ULL, etc., but that ain't gonna impress the man on the street in New Orleans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

Every school has someone on the schedule that they hope will be a solid W. Hopefully, by 2024, there isn’t even a question about this, and we are getting a rent a win.

If not, we should get a good crowd, because of the local connections.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Maybe he's considering ULL as the FCS that year? Why is it lazy exactly? What are you looking for in a schedule? Just trying to understand your stance.

You play a FCS to guarantee 6 home games; sometimes you'll get 7. ULL doesn't achieve that: They also aren't a tune-up game and you have to return the visit.
ULL is easy to schedule and they'll bring fans if they are good (but only if they are good). That's why ADs schedule them. But it serves no real purpose other than to ease an AD's workload.
He should work on getting Tulane fans or NOLA sports fans he can turn into TU fans to games.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
windywave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

You crack me up! Shame has nothing to do with it - I know you all would like to play a SEC schedule every year but I'd rather go to a bowl game and try and build a winning program that is sustainable. At some future time we may be able to beef up the schedule. However, this year if we would have played USM instead of Ohio State we would be one win closer to a bowl game. Yes, its fun to see Ohio State on the schedule but it doesn't help with the goal of going to a bowl game.

I went to Ohio State, also went to Oklahoma last year too and while they were fun trips I would trade the as$ drubbing at Oklahoma for a win over ULL and a bowl.

Good Lord man, have you no shame? You want to know what shame is? Shame is having played in 3 bowl games in the last 30 years. But yeah, Let's just schedule Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson next year for our non conference games. How much fun would that be!? :roll:

I went to both those games too, you know why, because I'm not traveling to Ruston or wherever the frick ULL is. You basically want to make those two conference mates. Hell no. We should play one name program, one or two middling programs, at most one P4 program, and an FCS. I want wins and bowl games too, but for heavens sake have some self respect and an ego.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

Luvs da Wave wrote:
The key to building a fan base is to win and be respected. That means playing opponents who are respected. I don't say we should never play ULL, etc., but that ain't gonna impress the man on the street in New Orleans.

What he said

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:49 am 
Emerald Circle

Back in my business days leading big projects we had a philosophy called crawl, walk, run. Big undertakings set crawl objectives to prove what we were doing was feasible, made sense, were achievable without committing business killing resources, etc. Walk built off crawl: commitment of more but not quite all resources. Run was all in: bet the business.

I think folks here are jumping straight to walk or even run without getting tangible proof that crawl works.