The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Roto, you've hit on something that is a real point of contention for me. The play calling in general leaves something to be desired, but the 3rd down play calling is particularly egregious IMO. Our 3rd down conversion rates over the last five games are:

Cinci 3/15
SMU 3/15
Tulsa 9/18
USF 4/14
ECU 3/18 (good thing ECU was 3/22)

Part of this is not staying on schedule and putting ourselves in 3rd and long, but part is also horribly predictable play calls on 3rd and short. The Wildcat is a great example of tipping our hand, but even outside of that the film shows when it's 3rd and short we are going to run up the middle. Naturally that's what defenses try and defend.

I know we are limited throwing because our WRs seem to have ongoing issues with the dropsies, but there has to be more variety. Run Dauphine outside. Throw to the backs out of the backfield. Run the option and actually use the pitch. Install a few under center plays so on 3rd and 1 you can run the almost unstoppable QB Sneak. If you must run up the middle, please use Bradwell, out biggest back. The issue isn't that nothing's working, it's that we aren't trying anything different. 27.5% on third down isn't going to cut it going forward.

One of these days... ONE OF THESE DAYS... Darius Bradwell is gonna take the wildcat snap and throw it. Remember he started out as a QB. Personally I hope it's for a back-breaking TD against Houston Thursday night. :wink:

Wasting downs/possessions trying to set up a play later in the season very CJ-esque.

Not if it is the first week or against and FCS team early. With two games to go fighting for a bowl it's dereliction of duty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:15 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Roto, you've hit on something that is a real point of contention for me. The play calling in general leaves something to be desired, but the 3rd down play calling is particularly egregious IMO. Our 3rd down conversion rates over the last five games are:

Cinci 3/15
SMU 3/15
Tulsa 9/18
USF 4/14

Part of this is not staying on schedule and putting ourselves in 3rd and long, but part is also horribly predictable play calls on 3rd and short. The Wildcat is a great example of tipping our hand, but even outside of that the film shows when it's 3rd and short we are going to run up the middle. Naturally that's what defenses try and defend.

I know we are limited throwing because our WRs seem to have ongoing issues with the dropsies, but there has to be more variety. Run Dauphine outside. Throw to the backs out of the backfield. Run the option and actually use the pitch. Install a few under center plays so on 3rd and 1 you can run the almost unstoppable QB Sneak. If you must run up the middle, please use Bradwell, out biggest back. The issue isn't that nothing's working, it's that we aren't trying anything different. 27.5% on third down isn't going to cut it going forward.

One of these days... ONE OF THESE DAYS... Darius Bradwell is gonna take the wildcat snap and throw it. Remember he started out as a QB. Personally I hope it's for a back-breaking TD against Houston Thursday night. :wink:

Wasting downs/possessions trying to set up a play later in the season very CJ-esque.

Not if it is the first week or against and FCS team early. With two games to go fighting for a bowl it's dereliction of duty

I also don't know what, in the last three years, would make anyone think that we have that imaginativeness or ballsiness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Cinci 3/15
SMU 3/15
Tulsa 9/18
USF 4/14

I also don't know what, in the last three years, would make anyone think that we have that imaginativeness or ballsiness

Fritz has COJONES for keeping an OC with the predictability of a geriatric taking geritol and the creativity of a root vegetable. That first quarter 4th down wildcat just pissed me off

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:20 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Cinci 3/15
SMU 3/15
Tulsa 9/18
USF 4/14

There are so many alternatives we could utilize that I do not believe in some "grand strategy." I believe in Occam's razor--Ruse/Fritz is stubborn and risk-averse, so he puts different formations in to do the same thing and calling it creative. For goodness sakes, put both Bradwell and Dauphine in, fake the ball inside to one of them and throw a swing pass outside and see what happens. Or the play to Jones that I suggested. Or go under center with Bradwell. ANY alternative is better than continuing to do the same old, predictable thing. The same play is not risk-averse; it's obtuse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

Yes, it was a win. And a win that wasn't over a "rent a win" team. Oh wait, Tulane is usually the "rent a win" team at other team's homecoming. :roll:

Now if we gat a win over, say Texas at their homecoming, then we can really celebrate.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 pm 
Navigator Level

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Cinci 3/15
SMU 3/15
Tulsa 9/18
USF 4/14

Fritz has COJONES for keeping an OC with the predictability of a geriatric taking geritol and the creativity of a root vegetable. That first quarter 4th down wildcat just pissed me off

+10000

Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.