Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet blanket here
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:04 pm 
Navigator Level

Defense did what it needed to do. Although, I don't think the ECU quarterback was a good as the announcers made him sound. He was very inaccurate.

I've never seen targeting called on a push. He didn't touch him with his helmet...just hands.

Outside of the 3 slants that were TD's, we couldn't run the ball. Some of that was the ECU defense and some of that was poor blocking or the running back picking the wrong lane.

Our time management is atrocious. How many times in the 2nd and 4th quarters did we have the ball, trying to use the clock only to snap it with 20 or 30 seconds still on the clock? Too numerous for me to count.

Have you ever seen as many passes hit the receiver in the hands or chest only to see the receiver not make the catch? Might be the one thing we miss from CJ as coach...at least, and i'm assuming because I can't remember, but i'd bet we had few drops back then.

It's really frustrating to watch this team.

I guess I can be happy with 5-5, but we could be so much better.

Post subject: Re: Wet blanket here
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 pm 
Breaker Level

Quote:
I guess I can be happy with 5-5, but we could be so much better.

Well, we could have lost. That would have been worse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

Can’t disagree.

But this could be us. Hell, it has been us:

https://eastcarolina.sportswar.com/message_board/ecubanter/

But I definitely can’t disagree.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm 
President's Circle

I dont think its wet blanket at all. Its reality. It's fine to enjoy a rare HC win while realizing we only won because we were just a couple of plays better.

The dropped passes aren't getting solved this year, but need to be addressed in the offseason. The rest of the playcalling needs to be addressed ASAP. The clock management was bad. There was no creativity. The 3rd down conversion rate is totally unacceptable if we want to keep winning. We had a nice game against USF, but it was sandwiched by two nailbiters against bad teams (not to mention the bad loss to SMU). There is a ton of improvement needed on the offensive side of the ball

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm 
President's Circle

If we can find a QB and some WR’s, we are going to be very good for years to come. I am so impressed with our young defense. If we don’t find a QB and WR’s (and someone that can call plays - another game with no RB’s involved in the passing game), we will be who you saw today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
If we can find a QB and some WR’s, we are going to be very good for years to come. I am so impressed with our young defense. If we don’t find a QB and WR’s (and someone that can call plays - another game with no RB’s involved in the passing game), we will be who you saw today.

Agree. And that tops out about 6-6. Not good enough

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Agree. And that tops out about 6-6. Not good enough

Culture change. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:09 pm 
Riptide Level

Very pleased that we won receivers on both teams were dropping passes. The freshman for Tulane had passes in his hands. The last miss opened the door for E. Carolina to make some back. It had the feel of another melt down. Same feel I had at SMU game, but this time we stepped up on defense. It's a shame that we finally have a qb that throws well and the receiver drops pass in his hand. We can beat Houston, but the guys have to play with more purpose.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

we actually ran for 167 yards.. although it sure didn't feel like it.. the play calling still sucks donkey d!ck.. if we had a semi competent OC when it comes to play calling, we'd be 8-2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
we actually ran for 167 yards.. although it sure didn't feel like it.. the play calling still sucks donkey d!ck.. if we had a semi competent OC when it comes to play calling, we'd be 8-2

That’s because we ran it 49 times, something like 3.4 yards per carry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:05 am 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Hey I expressed that sentiment and somebody threw a hissy fit and tried to ban me. Hmmm me thinks I was right all along.

It all depends who said it. Perception is a killer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:40 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Hey I expressed that sentiment and somebody threw a hissy fit and tried to ban me. Hmmm me thinks I was right all along.

I'm sure you realize now you're on perpetual thin ice... you should probably curtail any jumping up and down on it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 am 
Navigator Level

My rule - never complain after a win. Period. Once the game ended I even forgave those &@$! Cheating refs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:22 am 
Emerald Circle

You’re going to have games when your team is just flat. Difference last night was that we usually lost those games

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
You’re going to have games when your team is just flat. Difference last night was that we usually lost those games

We've had a bunch this year where we were "flat". Wake Forest, UAB, SMU, Tulsa, maybe even Nicholls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:37 am 
President's Circle

OGSB wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

We've had a bunch this year where we were "flat". Wake Forest, UAB, SMU, Tulsa, maybe even Nicholls.

Yeah the problem comes when the flat games are the rule and not the exception. Our offense has been flat way more than it's been good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 am 
Emerald Circle

So we should be happy we won, right?

Tulane fans just kill me we win, we’re on a three game winning streak we have a plausible road to winning the division our season still matters our remaining games are important and..........we still manage to b!tch

:-D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:34 am 
Regent's Circle

FWIW, Tulane was not flat. Team played hard and was prepared. Montgomery understandably decided he wasn't going to let Tulane win on the ground. Tulane was not good enough to "impose its will" there. However it was good enough to gin up a passing game to score enough points to win. ECU picked its poison and Tulane administered it.

Flat teams can't/don't play that way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:36 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
FWIW, Tulane was not flat. Team played hard and was prepared. Montgomery understandably decided he wasn't going to let Tulane win on the ground. Tulane was not good enough to "impose its will" there. However it was good enough to gin up a passing game to score enough points to win. ECU picked its poison and Tulane administered it.

Flat teams can't/don't play that way.

This

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
So we should be happy we won, right?

Tulane fans just kill me we win, we’re on a three game winning streak we have a plausible road to winning the division our season still matters our remaining games are important and..........we still manage to b!tch

:-D

GB, you are missing the point. Everyone is so grateful we won. And three in a row in conference is something we have not seen in ages. We have a great opportunity in front of us. But what is wrong with wanting more. Did you take a shot at our own head coach for saying we won ugly. That is what people on here are saying. We will not beat Houston if the QB, WR, and offensive play calling don’t improve starting in tomorrow’s practice. Like Pete said, we should have scored 50 yesterday. ECU put the book out there on McMillan and our WR’s. Force us to pass to beat you. Don’t get so worked up over post game analysis. We play Thursday night in the biggest game we have played since 1998. We have a chance to make a statement to our school, fans, city, state, conference, and the country that we are a player in the AAC. In order to do that, our offense is going to have to adjust because as good as our defense is, Houston will score. And we should be 7-3, don’t forget that either. Enjoy the win, but look forward to Thursday.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

As concerns "winning ugly," there is self-recognition there not just fan coach bashing here. That is literally the term Fritz used in the opening sentence of his press conference. There is not an inch of space between Fritz and anyone who watched the game on that point.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:08 pm 
Navigator Level

Has anyone called this game a "moral defeat" yet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 am 
Navigator Level

CT Wave wrote:

Haha. That's a good one.

A win is a win. Even really good teams don't play especially well on any given week, but they find a way to win. We did just that against ECU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:48 am 
Navigator Level

Private Joker wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

Haha. That's a good one.

A win is a win. Even really good teams don't play especially well on any given week, but they find a way to win. We did just that against ECU.

AMEN ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm 
Regent's Circle

His numbers showed inaccuracy because he was taught to throw the ball away rather than take the sack.

Fan since '54