Yahoo ranks the 2018 Bowl games 1-39

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Yahoo ranks the 2018 Bowl games 1-39

Unread post by OGSB »

I'll spare you the click. #39:
39. Cure Bowl: Louisiana (7-6) vs. Tulane (6-6) – 2:30 p.m., Dec. 15, CBSSN
Willie Fritz runs a run-based offense at Tulane, which is back in a bowl after a four-year absence. ULL won the Sun Belt West this season but lost to App State in the conference title game. This could be fairly high-scoring.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartanntp
Victory is never permanent
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Yahoo ranks the 2018 Bowl games 1-39

Unread post by Baywave1 »

This stuff is arbitrary by definition. I'm not getting in a fight with "No, we're really 35." Start winning big and we'll be attractive to others. Meanwhile we've won enough this year to be attractive to ourselves. (Reading this board regularly, that's often a very high standard for any Tulane team! :mrgreen: )

See many of you in Orlando and we'll wave literally at our fans watching who can't join us.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

39 bowls? Really. :roll: Where are the good old days when you GAS about all of them when they only numbered in single digits? And you could actually watch them all.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Fan Since '54 wrote:39 bowls? Really. :roll: Where are the good old days when you GAS about all of them when they only numbered in single digits? And you could actually watch them all.

Fan since '54
Here we go again :roll: Let's go back to the "good old days" of 8ish bowl games. Know how many bowl games Tulane gets invited to in the last 20 years? 0. In the last 40? 1 (1998). Are we worse off for a Hawaii Bowl, New Orleans Bowl and now Cure Bowl? Are any of the smaller schools worse off for more chances to play on TV? Are fans worse off for getting to watch their team play an extra time? Who exactly is losing here?

Here's a chance to read something with a historical bent that may change your mind. People have been complaining about this "problem" since there was only one bowl, the Rose. Time and again, market forces and fans have proved this notion wrong.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... bowl-games
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

If we had less bowls they'd still take 6-6 LSUs and leave 8-4 Tulanes at home. Complaining about too many bowls may be a rite of passage, but it's also predictable, silly, and grumpy./
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I liken getting to this bowl, any bowl, to a pull-up that just barely has the chin touching the bar. It scores the same, one pull-up, as if the chin went 6” higher.

Next year I’ll hope to do a full kip a foot over the bar but this year at least I’m in the game.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Sorry if I have an opinion. Sorry you don't agree. That is your right. As is my right to voice an opinion. And my right to disagree with your opinion, and vice versa. And here we go, round the...

I almost forgot the most important part. Roll Wave.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Don’t be sorry. We are not Cure-ing cancer here.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when you make your argument via platitudes and express derision at the opposite's side, see the opposition lay out a logical argument with evidence, and then respond by "oh well I guess we disagree!"........ then you aren’t doing everything you can do to make your opinion seem strong.....and yet you keep bringing it back up
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when you make your argument via platitudes and express derision at the opposite's side, see the opposition lay out a logical argument with evidence, and then respond by "oh well I guess we disagree!"........ then you aren’t doing everything you can do to make your opinion seem strong.....and yet you keep bringing it back up
It's almost like he doesn't want Tulane to succeed...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Ml—- let’s not confuse this discussion with the juju discussion. And fs54 isn’t the only one that feels this way
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

This is analogous to the answer to the riddle, "What do you call the guy who is last in his medical school class in the worst medical school in the country? Doctor.

We got into a bowl game after years of frustration; we all realize that this is not the best bowl by a long shot; however, I have seen these lower level bowl games be a lot more entertaining the big-name bowls. They are predicting the Cure bowl game to be a high-scoring game; most of the passive sports fans prefer this to a defensive, low- scoring game.

Personally I hope it is high scoring, although just for the team with the Angry Wave on the helmets!
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

OGSB wrote:I'll spare you the click. #39
This is how you post a story
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Tulane has been playing football for 125 years and has been invited to 12 bowls meaning that less than 10% of our seasons end in bowls. We have already been excluded from playing for a national championship because of conference affiliation so if not for a chance to play in a bowl, why even play the season?
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

AO Sig wrote:This is analogous to the answer to the riddle, "What do you call the guy who is last in his medical school class in the worst medical school in the country? Doctor.

We got into a bowl game after years of frustration; we all realize that this is not the best bowl by a long shot; however, I have seen these lower level bowl games be a lot more entertaining the big-name bowls. They are predicting the Cure bowl game to be a high-scoring game; most of the passive sports fans prefer this to a defensive, low- scoring game.

Personally I hope it is high scoring, although just for the team with the Angry Wave on the helmets!
This game won’t be high scoring. It might be lopsided in our favor, but they aren’t scoring a lot on our defense.
Tulane Greenbackers

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

The "there are too many bowls" argument only serves to buttress the idea that the current state of affairs with the haves and have nots is both legitimate and sustainable.

Such thinking should be avoided at all costs.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:If we had less bowls they'd still take 6-6 LSUs and leave 8-4 Tulanes at home. Complaining about too many bowls may be a rite of passage, but it's also predictable, silly, and grumpy./
This. If there were 38-40 bowls back in 1997. We would have gone bowling and not have this debate about the noise bowl. Wouldn't the Cure Bowl in Orlando have sounded good back then.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:If we had less bowls they'd still take 6-6 LSUs and leave 8-4 Tulanes at home. Complaining about too many bowls may be a rite of passage, but it's also predictable, silly, and grumpy./
This. If there were 38-40 bowls back in 1997. We would have gone bowling and not have this debate about the noise bowl. Wouldn't the Cure Bowl in Orlando have sounded good back then.

To quote SB Nation:

Bowl and TV executives aren’t that worried about team quality in the first place, but they do care about ratings and attendance draws. When there’s a surplus of teams, it’s easy for mid-majors to get shut out. That’s what’s happened to these guys.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Prof, I saw FTW retweeted something that said us beating Navy was literally the game that kept USM out of a bowl. Is your quote from that story?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:Prof, I saw FTW retweeted something that said us beating Navy was literally the game that kept USM out of a bowl. Is your quote from that story?
It was from a story about the 4 (5 counting Liberty) eligible teams left out. I didn’t read the team by team descriptions, so I didn’t see your quote, but sounds like the same piece. I don’t follow FTW so I don’t know.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

To quote SB Nation:

Bowl and TV executives aren’t that worried about team quality in the first place, but they do care about ratings and attendance draws. When there’s a surplus of teams, it’s easy for mid-majors to get shut out. That’s what’s happened to these guys.
That is why we all should buy tix to the bowl game regardless of whether we attend the game or not. Sorry windy, but man up.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

To quote SB Nation:

That is why we all should buy tix to the bowl game regardless of whether we attend the game or not. Sorry windy, but man up.
Da frick?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

waverider wrote:Tulane has been playing football for 125 years and has been invited to 12 bowls meaning that less than 10% of our seasons end in bowls. We have already been excluded from playing for a national championship because of conference affiliation so if not for a chance to play in a bowl, why even play the season?
Our record is not glorious here but there are some odd historic points on our bowl record. Tulane turned down playing in the Rose Bowl in the '20's. (Didn't Bama get our leftovers? Take that Nick.) Tulane also turned down (I think) playing in the bowl in Idaho (was it called Humanitarian then?) in 1997 after Bowden's first season because Tulane would have lost money on the deal.

Otherwise remember this vigorous discussion about Tulane playing in the Oyster Bowl? Should that count too?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51654&hilit=oyster+bowl

I'm just being wistful about this math but it simply reminds us that Tulane has way underperformed in football. As waverider implies we have to start somewhere to turn it around so I'm ok also with the 2018 Cure Bowl. See y'all in Orlando.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Oyster bowl is a midseason game. VMI played there 40 some times, often in 0 or 1 win seasons. It doesn't count.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

I like Oyster crackers