South Alabama

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: South Alabama

Post by wavedom »

angrywavedad wrote:I’m a relatively new Tulane fan but I’ve closely followed some other Mid-Major basketball program for decades and the recipe for success is always the same - good collective defense and disciplined offense designed to generate open looks and reduce turnovers. The occasional stud is icing on the cake

Ideally these teams are Senior-led: turning the lack of “one and done” players into a strength.

Watched the game yesterday and found myself feeling bad for the players. They
looked lost on offense once SA took away Daniels ISOs and over-matched on defense by a team that wasn’t exactly Duke or Michigan. The upperclassmen looked as clueless as the freshmen. Anyone want lay odds on a winless AAC season?

I’m not sure I’m all that sympathetic about the loss of a point guard to injury. If a school like Tulane doesn’t consistently have 2-3 players who can control the ball, get it to shooters and shoot foul shots, whose fault is that?
Good post. I would just remind you and everyone else the AAC is not a mid-major.
We deserve so much better
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Yankeewave wrote:
GSx wrote:Of course the coaches and administrators aren't happy with this...

I think wavedad has it right....a bunch of 3 star players being coached like they are 5 stars getting ready for the NBA. And part of that is soft coaching, which is always a disaster at Tulane in these upper level men's sports. Tulane needs hard-a$$ coaching and always has. Most of our athletes are not going pro.
I've been hard on Stockton (because of recruiting) but her staff coaches the heck out the 3 star players.
Also, once again, intentionally playing a weak schedule doesn't help and makes things worse....
i mean, can you imagine if we were playing a tough schedule? :shock:
Think of it this way: Whoever didn't want to load up on wins vs a weak schedule then tank in conference play, you got your wish.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:Good post. I would just remind you and everyone else the AAC is not a mid-major.
Unfortunately the media has now made it that any team not in a current P5 or previously in the "BCS 6" is a "mid major" (or lower). In basketball. :roll:

I appreciate all the "talk the talk" attitude of our commissioner and ADs and even folks here but it hasn't moved the reality needle a fraction of a millimeter and is generally met by the media with a smirk and a pat on the head and a "Awww, aren't you cute, little buddy? You keep talking like that, it's really funny. "
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Actually that's not accurate in regards to AAC basketball. The basketball magazines list it as a major. I just read an article recently that clearly referred to the AAC being the 6th power conference in basketball.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:Actually that's not accurate in regards to AAC basketball. The basketball magazines list it as a major. I just read an article recently that clearly referred to the AAC being the 6th power conference in basketball.
Yeah, the big East is generally considered a high major as well
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Can anyone answer the question as to why MD doesn’t want to play zone? Is it simply pro-related?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote:Can anyone answer the question as to why MD doesn’t want to play zone? Is it simply pro-related?
He believes it makes it harder to screen offensive players from the board. In addition to the nba prep angle, I've been told he basically thinks it would worsen our rebounding issues.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:Actually that's not accurate in regards to AAC basketball. The basketball magazines list it as a major. I just read an article recently that clearly referred to the AAC being the 6th power conference in basketball.
1. The only people who read basketball magazines are basketball freaks (not disparaging you, I used to read them). I'm referring to mass media which sways public opinion of the other 99%.
2. I specifically said "original BCS 6" to include the current Big East.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Baywave1 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Can anyone answer the question as to why MD doesn’t want to play zone? Is it simply pro-related?
He believes it makes it harder to screen offensive players from the board. In addition to the nba prep angle, I've been told he basically thinks it would worsen our rebounding issues.
That's not an unreasonable position but it leaves you three other choices: (a) play only those players willing and able to stay with their men, even if it means playing players who are offensively deficient, (b) work very hard to develop a switchable man defense, though this requires a degree of coordination and dedication that I'm not sure we've seen much evidence of, or (c) say F it, and just try and outscore the other team. I think we've seen (c) tried and failed against poor competition - hard to imagine it working in the AAC.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

awd, interesting summary. I guessed earlier this year that (c) would work better. It has clearly not to date as you note.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
1. The only people who read basketball magazines are basketball freaks (not disparaging you, I used to read them). I'm referring to mass media which sways public opinion of the other 99%.
2. I specifically said "original BCS 6" to include the current Big East.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Please show us where the mass media refers to the AAC as a mid-major in basketball. More importantly the main point of my initial post was to make it clear that our program has a long way to go if we want to make the post season b/c we are not in a mid -major .
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Unacceptable. This is a bad basketball team and, while the freshmen do show some promise (and a lot of freshman inconsistency), I see little hope for success this year. We should be much further along as a program at this stage.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

AWD and Bay, really good conversation. If we cannot outscore them, which we can’t, and he refuses to play zone, then our only answer is to put our best defensive team on the court. Offense should be ignored in order to have a chance at winning. Is that correct? Pete and Doc, please chime in if you want to.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:AWD and Bay, really good conversation. If we cannot outscore them, which we can’t, and he refuses to play zone, then our only answer is to put our best defensive team on the court. Offense should be ignored in order to have a chance at winning. Is that correct? Pete and Doc, please chime in if you want to.
AWD knows what he's talking about. I've enjoyed his contributions to basketball talk. Unfortunately I can't speak from watching myself as personal stuff has kept me from seeing the last several games.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:AWD and Bay, really good conversation. If we cannot outscore them, which we can’t, and he refuses to play zone, then our only answer is to put our best defensive team on the court. Offense should be ignored in order to have a chance at winning. Is that correct? Pete and Doc, please chime in if you want to.
AWD knows what he's talking about. I've enjoyed his contributions to basketball talk. Unfortunately I can't speak from watching myself as personal stuff has kept me from seeing the last several games.
Thanks and I wish we had better results to discuss.

Different question for y'all: Why is Dunleavy so much less available than Fritz? Is that because of football vs basketball norms, AAC rules or just personal preferences?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

angrywavedad wrote:Different question for y'all: Why is Dunleavy so much less available than Fritz? Is that because of football vs basketball norms, AAC rules or just personal preferences?
I have to imagine that it's personal preference, based on my interactions and what I've seen (in very limited amounts, I admit). I think he runs things like a pro organization and I don't think he feels a need to make time for all the other stuff. He "has people" for that.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Friend, the season is only a quarter old. We saw Barnes unexpectedly turn his season around at a similar point with an even younger roster than MD has and after losing a critical player too. For that matter Fritz turned his season around too. MD, too? I simply don't know. I'm rooting for him hard to succeed.

I guess we will see much more of Koka and Ajang until they foul out. Meanwhile just start reducing the turnovers and that will benefit the team like nothing else. I'll be at TSU game next week and yes we should win. But I've seen Tulane teams lose to SWAC squads twice so I can say no result would astound me after watching the first six weeks of this season.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I’m pretty sure there was an announcement on a Basketball Coaches show, featuring Stockton and Dunleavy starting up in January. I’m also pretty sure it is going to be held at Bruno’s.

However, I looked for the press release, and couldn’t fine one.

Last year, they announced the dates/times in January, so an announcement may be forthcoming..