Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:21 pm 
President's Circle

Great article on nick anderson. Looks like we beat out ole miss twice this week...

https://m.vicksburgpost.com/2018/12/21/ ... at-tulane/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:54 pm 
President's Circle

This was just tweeted out by the Tulane football account we have a new commit in 3 star DE Caleb Thomas out of CA.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Caleb ... Interests/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:01 pm 
Cornerstone

I just posted that on the recruiting board. Offers from Fresno (top 20 team), New Mexico and San Jose State.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

Signed?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:05 pm 
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
Signed?

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
Signed?

Yes

Booya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 pm 
President's Circle

But but but...he's not a local product that went to my high school

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
President's Circle

FW wrote:
I just posted that on the recruiting board. Offers from Fresno (top 20 team), New Mexico and San Jose State.

You forgot to highlight that New Mexico and San Jose State are solid top 125 teams. :green wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

time for a threadjack since we have another player headed to the University of Tulane.

At the Cure Bowl when ULL made a big defensive play, its band would play a few notes from the theme song of Game of Thrones. (As you recall if you review the stats, there weren't many opportunities to strike up that band.)

Nonetheless several Wave fans at the game would join the ULL band on cue doing their best Butters imitation singing their version from South Park's immortal episode, "A Song of As* and Fire." or more colloquially known as "Too Many Wieners." They may not win the Voice but they definitely will be invited back next season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 pm 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
time for a threadjack since we have another player headed to the University of Tulane.

At the Cure Bowl when ULL made a big defensive play, its band would play a few notes from the theme song of Game of Thrones. (As you recall if you review the stats, there weren't many opportunities to strike up that band.)

Nonetheless several Wave fans at the game would join the ULL band on cue doing their best Butters imitation singing their version from South Park's immortal episode, "A Song of As* and Fire." or more colloquially known as "Too Many Wieners." They may not win the Voice but they definitely will be invited back next season.

Not all heroes wear capes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:58 pm 
Cornerstone

ForeverTU wrote:
This was just tweeted out by the Tulane football account we have a new commit in 3 star DE Caleb Thomas out of CA.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Caleb ... Interests/

There's the extra big DL I wanted BUT Thomas was a good TE in HS with a good frame. It's just possible that he could project as an OL. He can move.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:35 pm 
Cornerstone

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/849691/5c0 ... 0a24bf270d

Sr year highlights of Caleb Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 am 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/849691/5c046c75d225a20a24bf270d

He's got good hands, but defense might be his best position. How many 275lbs tight ends are there?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:09 am 
Cornerstone

Not a TE, but a DT who has a lot of experience as a blocker. I’m just pointing out the advantages of signing a good athlete. I hope we make it academic by finding at least one more good OL.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:41 am 
President's Circle

Some information on Caleb -

Caleb Thomas of Santa Maria (Calif.) Righetti has offers from Fresno State, Tulane, UNLV, New Mexico and San Jose State to date. Before UCLA offered Datona Jackson and Nickolas Figueroa last week, we would have lumped Thomas into that bucket of 4i defensive ends UCLA might offer, but we suspect that UCLA is done, at least for a while, offering DEs. Thomas is one to watch, however, possibly a Pac-12 level player being a bit under-recruited. He had 18 tackles and two sacks in a recent game. He’s 6-4 and 270-ish, and he might be the best as a blocking tight end, showing some great intensity and meanness as a blocker, and could actually project as an interior OL if he put on some more weight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 am 
Regent's Circle

I guess we could still see another experienced transfer or two announced for January enrollment. Regardless Fritz as last year will have three or so openings for February. If he fills them with potential players of similar caliber the ratings will take care of themselves.

I'm more pleased to see that his strategy of creating momentum with early decisions seems to be working. "Sure P5 may take you in February but don't count on us then too." Plus grad transfer fill-ins is a clever way to get immediate help instead of the traditional route of JUCOs which it appears Fritz still has some institutional headwinds to overcome to recruit in numbers. At least Montanos and McMillans of world recognize value of Tulane advanced degrees. So will others.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:39 am 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
I guess we could still see another experienced transfer or two announced for January enrollment. Regardless Fritz as last year will have three or so openings for February. If he fills them with potential players of similar caliber the ratings will take care of themselves.

I'm more pleased to see that his strategy of creating momentum with early decisions seems to be working. "Sure P5 may take you in February but don't count on us then too." Plus grad transfer fill-ins is a clever way to get immediate help instead of the traditional route of JUCOs which it appears Fritz still has some institutional headwinds to overcome to recruit in numbers. At least Montanos and McMillans of world recognize value of Tulane advanced degrees. So will others.

:green wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 am 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/849691/5c046c75d225a20a24bf270d

Are you kidding me? This kid is HUGE and has tremendous feet. He can play DL, OL, TE, DE. What a great pickup. A big player who can move?!

Either the other players in the tape are shrimps or this kid is Mongo in a football uni. His feet never stop. I'm excited for this guy.

Last edited by Rotorooter on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:32 am 
Cornerstone

Did you notice he was playing with a cast on his arm?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:34 am 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Did you notice he was playing with a cast on his arm?

No. This guy reminds me of Gronkowski lite.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:56 am 
Cornerstone

Here’s the article from the official site on the conclusion of the early signing period. Interesting note, Caleb Thomas is listed as a 2 way lineman and the position breakdown says we signed 4 OL. I’d give him a shot at anywhere he cares to begin.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... class.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:01 am 
Emerald Circle

love that we aren't taking filler at the end, but instead quality players. i'd think he's in the top end of the class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:05 am 
Emerald Circle

There are 3 private schools west of Texas that play FBS football. Stanford and USC recruit at a completely different level than we do. And that leaves BYU, an acquired taste.
I know it's expensive to recruit out there, but we certainly have some product differentiation to offer.
Glad to see we're dipping out toes into the Golden State.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:25 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
There are 3 private schools west of Texas that play FBS football. Stanford and USC recruit at a completely different level than we do. And that leaves BYU, an acquired taste.
I know it's expensive to recruit out there, but we certainly have some product differentiation to offer.

forgetting Oregon? they just signed the number one recruit in the country and have a very good class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 am 
Regent's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
GSx wrote:

forgetting Oregon? they just signed the number one recruit in the country and have a very good class

Your joking, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next