The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:05 am 
Emerald Circle

wave97 wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.

See: ODU

Bobby Wilder has done an amazing job at ODU. Their rise from start-up program to Colonial Athletic Champions in three years (2012 11-2), was remarkable.. Since joining CUSA, Wilders myopic attention to the O has cost them with too many shootout loses. If ODU can put it together on both sides of the ball, don't be surprised to see them in future AAC re-shuffling.

I refuse to be in a conference with Old Dominion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:30 am 
Regent's Circle

During their off-season tour last year, Coach Fritz said that Coach Atlkins will be a head coach sooner rather than later. I think this is the first big step for him.

Congrats to him, and we'll be keeping an eye on his career.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 am 
Emerald Circle

Sophandros wrote:
TUPF wrote:
New OC on the sidelines has to think Atkins could be an asset and that Atkins is not that far from getting his own OC job in the near future.

According to Fritz, Atkins won't be an OC, as he is being groomed as a head coach. Dude is an assistant head coach for a reason. I think a lot of people saw that reason yesterday.

The future is now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:37 pm 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
This gives us an opportunity to hire a coach with some serious ties to Louisiana high school football. This could be a win - win for Tulane and Coach Atkins.

Atkins recruited Georgia and Alabama. Two states we need to supplement our Louisiana, Southeast, Texas and national recruiting. We need the BEST players...period. Fritz realizes this. Look at Wednesday's signing class - players from 10 different states. If the best players are in LA, recruit them. If they are in Alaska, recruit there...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:21 pm 
Cornerstone

I agree that we should have as many good LA recruiters as possible and consistent with covering other rich territories. But offensive line coach is not a position where you prioritize getting a specific territorial recruiter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
I agree that we should have as many good LA recruiters as possible and consistent with covering other rich territories. But offensive line coach is not a position where you prioritize getting a specific territorial recruiter.
Unless he’s from the MidWest :lol:

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:04 pm 
President's Circle

waverider wrote:
long green wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
long green wrote:

What he said

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:

Your point is well taken. There was a telling and interesting article in the Insider this week. The offensive lineman selected this year to the Pro Bowl had an average rating of 2.4 stars coming out of high school.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

Just noticed that Chris Scelfo will be the offensive line coach there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:08 pm 
Navigator Level

windywave wrote:
wave97 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Starting a football program from scratch is so difficult. The jump from 1AA to CUSA is huge. The one win season was terrible. But 5-7 this year is a lot of improvement and they were definitely more competitive. Just thought he should be given more time, that’s all.

See: ODU

Bobby Wilder has done an amazing job at ODU. Their rise from start-up program to Colonial Athletic Champions in three years (2012 11-2), was remarkable.. Since joining CUSA, Wilders myopic attention to the O has cost them with too many shootout loses. If ODU can put it together on both sides of the ball, don't be surprised to see them in future AAC re-shuffling.

I refuse to be in a conference with Old Dominion

Virginia football has been rising in quality over the past decade and more: Richmond, ODU, VCU, James Madison, Wm & Mary (but last mentioned in a sort of slump the last several years). Given the state's size, population, the number of colleges and universities, which is staggering, and how many have stayed FCS for years and years, I am not surprised by several VA colleges and universities raising the caliber of their FB programs. VMI downgraded to FCS quite some years ago, to the great dismay and anger of students and grads. I would be surprised if that decision were ever reversed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:07 pm 
President's Circle

OGSB wrote:

Wait you mean in 12 years nobody has wanted him to be their head coach??? Weird...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:

Wait you mean in 12 years nobody has wanted him to be their head coach??? Weird...

If you can’t win at Tulane, where can you win?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:11 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:

You and JTS are correct. I would like the best of both worlds. Great OL coach first, and great recruiter (especially in LA). Fritz said in his press conference he wish he could get more local kids. The two ways you can do that is win (which is in the bag) and having coaches who can recruit locally. But you definitely need coaches who can supplement the class with out of state D1 players.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:29 pm 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:

Chris Scelfo was the O-Line Coach of Charlotte during the 2018 season. The Head Coach that hired Coach Atkins decided not to retain Scelfo.

Scelfo is currently unemployed after one year stints at Charlotte and Houston as an O-Line Coach.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:17 am 
Regent's Circle

Sad to see him go but it's a definite promotion and you want to see your position coaches moving into coordinator jobs. Congratulations, appreciation, and all the best to Coach Atkins as he grows in his career.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

DCGreenie wrote:
Virginia football has been rising in quality over the past decade and more: Richmond, ODU, VCU, James Madison, Wm & Mary (but last mentioned in a sort of slump the last several years). Given the state's size, population, the number of colleges and universities, which is staggering, and how many have stayed FCS for years and years, I am not surprised by several VA colleges and universities raising the caliber of their FB programs. VMI downgraded to FCS quite some years ago, to the great dismay and anger of students and grads. I would be surprised if that decision were ever reversed.

Hopefully, you're not contributing to the VCU football team - 'cause they don't have one. It's a club sport there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:12 pm 
Navigator Level

VCU - Okay, you got me. I was thinking of other teams, but VCU was stuck in the back of my shriveled 76-years-old brain because my dermatologist is a VCU grad.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:20 pm 
Navigator Level

FYI: https://oneclass.com/blog/virginia-comm ... am.en.html. Fortunately, VCU has a medical school and center, so it is well-equipped to deal with the surge in concussions and other injuries if VCU fields a team in, say, the FCS -- or even Div. II. III........

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 am 
Regent's Circle

Well acquainted with VCU as my wife graduated from there. Make at least one trip to Richmond each year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:32 am 
Trainer

Virginia Tech has built a program recruiting the Tidewater. UVA will continue to be UVA in spite of themselves. NOVA will always be a pro-market of transient Federal parasites. ODU has virtually no competition for the entertainment dollar & SWO's make an easy audience.
Don't sleep on ODU.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:07 pm 
Regent's Circle

wave97 wrote:
Virginia Tech has built a program recruiting the Tidewater. UVA will continue to be UVA in spite of themselves. NOVA will always be a pro-market of transient Federal parasites. ODU has virtually no competition for the entertainment dollar & SWO's make an easy audience.
Don't sleep on ODU.

Although I am just south of the border of Virginia, most of the fans who pull for teams from the Commonwealth seem to lean more toward Va tech. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that Eastman chemical, with its plethora of engineers, has a ton of alumni. Not a lot of visible support for UVA in people I know from SW VA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

wave97 wrote:
Don't sleep on ODU.

Ironically the Tidewater building houses the Tulane Medical Group admin offices on Canal St in NOLA

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:43 am 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Although I am just south of the border of Virginia, most of the fans who pull for teams from the Commonwealth seem to lean more toward Va tech. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that Eastman chemical, with its plethora of engineers, has a ton of alumni.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with a few decades of winning. :angel:

Seriously, if Tulane had the sustained success that VA Tech had for 15-20 years, we'd have a fanbase stretching into Southern Mississippi, even at the expense of USM. Same situation you're describing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
Although I am just south of the border of Virginia, most of the fans who pull for teams from the Commonwealth seem to lean more toward Va tech. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that Eastman chemical, with its plethora of engineers, has a ton of alumni.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with a few decades of winning. :angel:

Seriously, if Tulane had the sustained success that VA Tech had for 15-20 years, we'd have a fanbase stretching into Southern Mississippi, even at the expense of USM. Same situation you're describing.

And we'd be in the Big 12