Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

Well this should be interesting.

UC is having a relatively down year (compared to the last few), yet my score app has UC -21.5. :shock: :shock: :cry:

Sadly I can't even get there to watch the Wave in my hometown Wednesday night (I knew when the schedule was announced that January 2 wouldn't work), but I'm not that bummed because this almost certainly won't be pretty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

I've lost complete interest in hoops. I'm actually more bummed than when Conroy was coaching, at least then I could be bothered to get pissed off and worked up into a lather.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
I've lost complete interest in hoops. I'm actually more bummed than when Conroy was coaching, at least then I could be bothered to get pissed off and worked up into a lather.

Plus with Conroy there was a chance at ice cream!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:37 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

UC is having a relatively down year (compared to the last few), yet my score app has UC -21.5. :shock: :shock: :cry:

Sadly I can't even get there to watch the Wave in my hometown Wednesday night (I knew when the schedule was announced that January 2 wouldn't work), but I'm not that bummed because this almost certainly won't be pretty.

Spread seems reasonable. I never bet against the wave but I'm not betting for them until they show something, so no I'm not predicting that December was a bottom. FSU/SDSU team covers. Towson/AA&M team doesn't.

Conroy did have a team that upset UC with a buzzer beater so we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:12 am 
Riptide Level

Not expecting a W but would love to see defensive effort and a semblance of organized half-court offense (because Cinci sure won't let us run).

Four AAC games in 12 days will let us know whether MD has the team on his side or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Spread seems reasonable. I never bet against the wave but I'm not betting for them until they show something, so no I'm not predicting that December was a bottom. FSU/SDSU team covers. Towson/AA&M team doesn't.

AND, as I recall, the player who hit the shot was Ricky Tarrant who departed for Bama the next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:18 am 
Navigator Level

StPeteWave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

AND, as I recall, the player who hit the shot was Ricky Tarrant who departed for Bama the next year.

Oops :oops: Per Official site - Jonathan Stark was the shooter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm 
Regent's Circle

StPeteWave wrote:
StPeteWave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Who departed for Murray State the next year :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

StPeteWave wrote:
StPeteWave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Who departed for Murray State the next year. (dang, gerry, you beat me to it)

I will always remember that game because while the Wave was shocking the Bearcats in my freezing cold hometown, I was in New Orleans at Mardi Gras on a lovely 65-degree Valentine's Day Saturday afternoon. When the score hit all our phone apps, there were high fives and toasts all around.

Cincinnati's big issue this year is offense. They lost all their "go to" guys from the past few seasons. Cumberland is their lone returning "scorer" on whom they count for everything. So UC's offense against our defense is "stoppable force against movable object". :lol: But they still play defense like madmen and with our lack of a reliable ballhandler and our propensity for turnovers, this could be really ugly. We're averaging 15 TO/game (seems like it should be more) and I don't know if we've faced a defense like this year yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

o/u is 132.5 so with a spread of 21.5, oddsmakers are benchmarking score "norm" as UC 77 - TU 55 or so. This really says more about Tulane than it does about UC. In short if you think TU can put up 60+ tonight (and no I'm not predicting it) then I would take the over and Tulane ATS. UC scoring 80+ would be a lot based on its meh offense.

Otherwise I guess if UC in addition to its normal aggressive defense presses Tulane, it would not surprise me to see a 20 turnover game from Tulane with an inclination to the under and UC covering.

Regardless I remember the Stark shot winning that game. Let's see if our guys benefitted from the layoff and additional practices. Roll Wave!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

Line dropped to 20 this morning but since jumped up to 23. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:54 pm 
Riptide Level

PeteRasche wrote:

Before and after someone with a cell phone watched shootaround.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Before and after someone with a cell phone watched shootaround.

Nah, you can't tell how a team plays defense (or, rather, doesn't) at shootaround... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

I am the least optimistic for a conference opener that I have ever been. This could get very ugly, even against an offensively challenged Cinci team; after all, layups after steals will work wonders for shooting percentages. Hope I'm wrong, but....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 pm 
President's Circle

Less than 10 minutes in and Cincy on pace to score almost 130 points. Zhang and Cornish can’t guard anybody and yet we insist on playing man to man.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

We don't even get flagrant fouls properly :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:20 pm 
Riptide Level

windywave wrote:

Doesn't surprise me that Tulane is inferior athletically but it's kind of shocking to see such a lack of discipline or intelligence. Team looks clueless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

angrywavedad wrote:
windywave wrote:

Doesn't surprise me that Tulane is inferior athletically but it's kind of shocking to see such a lack of discipline or intelligence. Team looks clueless.

Forget that, if you're going to get kicked out make it memorable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:

I have no idea what Paul was thinking. That was just a dirty play. He deserved to be tossed. It’s not like he was trying to stop a guy from scoring and got carried away. He just attempted to throw the guy to the floor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:

I have no idea what Paul was thinking. That was just a dirty play. He deserved to be tossed. It’s not like he was trying to stop a guy from scoring and got carried away. He just attempted to throw the guy to the floor.

It was soft... clothesline the guy, elbow him, do something other than the big man version of a slap fight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:36 pm 
President's Circle

This is the most embarrassing half of basketball I have seen in a long time. We don’t even attempt to guard anybody and appear to just be going through the motions. Daniels played well offensively and Koka is hustling. Outside of that it is hard to come up with anything positive to say.

We made a half assed attempt at trapping a few times but otherwise played man and got beat off the dribble at will.

Last edited by NJwave on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
This is the most embarrassing half of basketball I have seen in a long time. We don’t even attempt to guard anybody and appear to just be going through the motions. Daniels played well offensively and Koka is hustling. Outside of that it is hard to come up with anything positive to say.

We weren't shut out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

A full half of basketball doesn’t end with us being doubled up. I sense a moral victory...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:

We weren't shut out

We even missed on the flagrant foul attempt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:

We weren't shut out

We even missed on the flagrant foul attempt.

See my thoughts on that above