Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:07 pm 
Cornerstone

I watched it on Twitter, I don’t know if the link is up yet on the official site. My impressions of his remarks:

He is leaving for the coaches’ convention today. He said he’ll take his time on the hire of a new line coach, adding that Will Hall will have input on the choice. He did not anticipate further vacancies.
Spring practice will start on March 12, with the spring game set for April 13th.
He acknowledged that we have four openings to fill in the signing class and that its composition is not set in stone.He did not say that we will definitely bring in more transfers nor that we will absolutely sign a HS senior QB. I’d say his emphasis is on not reaching to fill a spot.
As for the offense, taking a step forward in the passing game is important. We need to improve our performance on obvious passing downs. He said the passing game will evolve quite a bit.
This year was the first time he’s ever finished in the red on turnovers and he’d like that to change.

The opener will be on the Thursday night before Labor Day weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:14 pm 
Navigator Level

Thanks for the summary. Very interesting. Stating the obvious, good to hear Fritz won't reach just to fill out the available scholarships.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm 
Coach Level

While at the same time saying he wants to get to 85 players on the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:49 pm 
Breaker Level

CT Wave wrote:

Was hoping that the first game would get a better turnout than last year's after a winning season (even against an inferior opponent), but I don't think it will on a Thursday night before labor day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:56 pm 
President's Circle

Saintgreenie wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

Was hoping that the first game would get a better turnout than last year's after a winning season (even against an inferior opponent), but I don't think it will on a Thursday night before labor day.

aw man....I couldn't find the 'Rabble Rabble Rabble' image in time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

aw man....I couldn't find the 'Rabble Rabble Rabble' image in time.

Exactly. I saw the note about the date and thought, "oh, boy, here we go..."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm 
President's Circle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm 
President's Circle

Yes rabble, rabble. Still a dumb idea to go up against the Saints last preseason game. Sucks for out of towners. Unless it is on ESPN the only upside is we get an extra day to prepare for Auburn, but we have to wait for that Saturday to get a full scouted game so that is meh as well. I will be there but my family won't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:55 pm 
Regent's Circle

My pitchforks stay in the barn on this one. One less chance to have an oppressively hot day game. Students are in town as it is first week of classes. Tailgating may be meh, true. FIU is probable opponent if you believe internet schedules. They won't travel well so it will just be a home crowd.

Most important thing though is we get to see football in 234 days instead of 236. What's not to like about that? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

TP: Willie Fritz gives Tulane coaching update after latest departure

Tulane’s Justin McMillan to keep No. 1 QB spot for start of spring practices

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

Advocate: Building on success: Fritz wants better pass offense

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 pm 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:
My pitchforks stay in the barn on this one. One less chance to have an oppressively hot day game. Students are in town as it is first week of classes. Tailgating may be meh, true. FIU is probable opponent if you believe internet schedules. They won't travel well so it will just be a home crowd.

Most important thing though is we get to see football in 234 days instead of 236. What's not to like about that? :mrgreen:

Bay- there have been hardly any students at all at these Thursday night openers. The reason is that most students don't have Friday classes anymore so they are gone after class on Thursday. As for the hot day issue just because it's on a Saturday doesn't mean it has to be in the day. Schedule it for Saturday at 7 and see if TV intervenes . This has been a failed attempt and there's nothing wrong with calling Tulane on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 am 
Navigator Level

In my estimation we have had pretty good student turnout for these Thursday night season openers. It is sustaining student attendance later in the season that has been more of an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:44 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Bay- there have been hardly any students at all at these Thursday night openers. The reason is that most students don't have Friday classes anymore so they are gone after class on Thursday. As for the hot day issue just because it's on a Saturday doesn't mean it has to be in the day. Schedule it for Saturday at 7 and see if TV intervenes . This has been a failed attempt and there's nothing wrong with calling Tulane on it.

I'm with you being for Saturday night football. I want our fans to be able to come to games. Period.

The other nights (and yes the September Saturday day games) are a cost of doing business with modern media partners. However I do remember going to Friday night games at Tulane in the early sixties when it and Miami experimented with those in pre-ESPN days. It didn't help attendance then. That was against SEC schedule too.

I still can't believe Facebook had the pull to make UAB schedule its game with us during the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 am 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Gone after Thursday? This isn’t an SEC school where everyone goes home on non football weekends to hang around the Dairy Queen with the rest of 13th grade. It’s the most national university in the country. People don’t “go home”. As for no Friday classes, sounds like good planning although in my day classes were either MWF or TTh, meaning there would have to be lots of long classes on a Thursday to be free on Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 am 
President's Circle

College football, sadly, stopped being about butts in seats a while ago. TV/streaming viewership is king now. If a Thursday opener helps us get more eyeballs, I'm ok with that.

I've also never understood the obsession with student attendance. If every single undergrad showed up would it fill up even 1/3 of the stadium? It would be great if they did, but they aren't the sole reason the stadium isn't full. Win more games, stop laying eggs in big moments and fans of all stripes will come.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
College football, sadly, stopped being about butts in seats a while ago. TV/streaming viewership is king now. If a Thursday opener helps us get more eyeballs, I'm ok with that.

I've also never understood the obsession with student attendance. If every single undergrad showed up would it fill up even 1/3 of the stadium? It would be great if they did, but they aren't the sole reason the stadium isn't full. Win more games, stop laying eggs in big moments and fans of all stripes will come.

I agree about student attendance and the mostly the TV angle.

Here is the main issue I have. They talk about "fan experience," but Thursday and Friday night games means no family tailgating, missing work, fighting daily commuter traffic, and getting home late having to work the next day or taking off a second day. I live out of town and taking my family or talking friends into going on Thursday is a no-go and Friday is very hard. I end up buying multiple season tickets yet there is a good chance with scheduling these past couple of years that two games will be on Thursday and Friday. On week night games I usually go by myself. You say, it's just two games. That's 2 of 6, a third of the season. I am sorry but I think it is slightly insulting to expect that fans take off of work else they miss 1/3 of the season's home games. Yes, I understand locals can make it, even for them it can be a challenge with traffic picking up kids etc. I am just saying you don't do anyone who live is BR, North Shore, River parishes, or elsewhere within an hour or two any favors. You are counting solely on locals. It's also hard to sell to my wife us spending hundreds of dollars on tickets for which we can only realistically make 2/3 of the games and that is before other things may or may not come up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Gone after Thursday? This isn’t an SEC school where everyone goes home on non football weekends to hang around the Dairy Queen with the rest of 13th grade. It’s the most national university in the country. People don’t “go home”. As for no Friday classes, sounds like good planning although in my day classes were either MWF or TTh, meaning there would have to be lots of long classes on a Thursday to be free on Friday.

TUPF, he never said "home", he just said "gone". As in, gulf coast beaches for the weekend.

But who doesn't have cars to go to the beach? Freshmen. Who attends the most games period? Freshmen. Who is still around the first week of school because they don't even know about ducking out to beaches and still are exploring campus life and New Orleans overall? Freshmen.

The student argument is a straw man. Upperclassmen who care enough to go will stay in town and go. Freshmen will almost all attend what will be their first college football game. Our problem is we don't have enough students to matter, period. The only argument for wanting students there is that engaged students means eventual supporting boosters.

The problem with weeknight games are the difficulties of older fans getting there, as pointed out above.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

They go to the beach, especially Labor Day weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:05 am 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Here is the main issue I have. They talk about "fan experience," but Thursday and Friday night games means no family tailgating, missing work, fighting daily commuter traffic, and getting home late having to work the next day or taking off a second day. I live out of town and taking my family or talking friends into going on Thursday is a no-go and Friday is very hard. I end up buying multiple season tickets yet there is a good chance with scheduling these past couple of years that two games will be on Thursday and Friday. On week night games I usually go by myself. You say, it's just two games. That's 2 of 6, a third of the season. I am sorry but I think it is slightly insulting to expect that fans take off of work else they miss 1/3 of the season's home games. Yes, I understand locals can make it, even for them it can be a challenge with traffic picking up kids etc. I am just saying you don't do anyone who live is BR, North Shore, River parishes, or elsewhere within an hour or two any favors. You are counting solely on locals. It's also hard to sell to my wife us spending hundreds of dollars on tickets for which we can only realistically make 2/3 of the games and that is before other things may or may not come up.

Very fair complaint, Poseidon. 2 home games out of 6 is definitely a significant proportion. Were I in your shoes I'd have to weigh buying season tickets against this new model of scheduling. I'd very likely end up buying tickets to only the games I knew I could make.

There doesn't seem to be a good way to balance your fan experience concern against the TV viewership angle. The market has pushed things in the latter direction, but I completely get why you're frustrated with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

I still can't believe Facebook had the pull to make UAB schedule its game with us during the day.

I assume this is a joke but since you didn’t indicate I will clarify for the others that Facebook had nothing to do with the time. UAB never schedules against Auburn or Bama. Had lsu/Auburn not been at 2:30 that day our game likely would have been. Bama played at 7 that night leaving the noon slot the only “available” time.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:38 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Very fair complaint, Poseidon. 2 home games out of 6 is definitely a significant proportion. Were I in your shoes I'd have to weigh buying season tickets against this new model of scheduling. I'd very likely end up buying tickets to only the games I knew I could make.

There doesn't seem to be a good way to balance your fan experience concern against the TV viewership angle. The market has pushed things in the latter direction, but I completely get why you're frustrated with that.

I will be there either way. It's just hard to sell others(friends/family) on this model. Why I chose to vocalize this is because when next season rolls around and butts aren't in seats we aren't looking around saying,m "man attendance wasn't that good" or "were are the causal fans" this will be in someone's head. I really like what TD and the administration are doing on so many fronts, but this one just confounds me. No amount of fireworks, giveaways, or swag makes up for the playing games on school/work nights up against Saints preseason games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 am 
Navigator Level

Wavefan wrote:
In my estimation we have had pretty good student turnout for these Thursday night season openers. It is sustaining student attendance later in the season that has been more of an issue.

Well we'll certainly have to agree to disagree there. That student section hasn't had more than a couple of hundred for these games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 am 
Navigator Level

TUPF wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Long time since we've been in school. Even the IVY's don't have many ,if any, classes on Friday's anymore.