Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tulane-USF
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am 
Regent's Circle

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
Per Jordan Cornish's twitter account 3 hours ago "Dear Lord, thank you for being slow to anger. Please help me turn to you when I feel anger build. Help the only red I see to be the precious blood you shed for me. In your name I pray, Amen"

God help us all and Tulane Basketball.

Benched?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:
Per Jordan Cornish's twitter account 3 hours ago "Dear Lord, thank you for being slow to anger. Please help me turn to you when I feel anger build. Help the only red I see to be the precious blood you shed for me. In your name I pray, Amen"

God help us all and Tulane Basketball.

Benched?

Even Jesus was appalled at his performance?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm 
Navigator Level

This is what I do not get. Larry Brown was brought to SMU as the big splash hire. Of course he cheated to get serious players in, but he did attract the big talent. He was still out there coaching better than any coach in the league during the games. MD has brought in worse talent and I am not seeing the Big Name coaching on the court.

The splash hire is made to get the higher recruits in the door. In basketball, you do not have to flip an entire roster. You need basically 2 recruits and your program can be changed. We have done the opposite. Our 2 best were inherited and we haven't brought in anyone that a splash hire should bring in. This is why a decision should be made. No way this program is on the up because we are not feeding it with anything to grow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

the guy is a turnover machine he needs to be benched.

two simple things this team can do to immediately improve the product on the court: cut down on the turnovers and radically improve the free throw percentage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 pm 
President's Circle

We need a totally different approach because this isn't working. I've watched plenty of SOCON teams put together good seasons by developing clusters of players over the course of four year careers. When you have several very experienced juniors and seniors at a time, good things happen. It wouldn't be that hard to emulate that model and in the AAC we should attract a better talent level than at lower levels. Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

according to Rivals last year's recruiting class was ranked 5th in the AAC. Highest ranking we've had to date. The problem seems to be, to me, the types of players we've recruited (Pete has written some good posts on that topic) scheme and coaching.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 pm 
Breaker Level

Here we go again. Blame the coach he is the problem. We have done this for the last 20 years and what has it got us. To solve a problem you have to admit what it actually is. We will change coach but the real problem will still be there. It's been their since 1950 and our athletic record proves it. Since we installed so call athletic friendly courses we have been struggling even more. We lost 3 of our best football recruits due to grades last year. Todays athlete is much more interested in athletics first and academics why down the list, particully basketball players. It's not the way it should be , but that is reality. rjc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm 
Breaker Level

Here we go again. Blame the coach he is the problem. We have done this for the last 20 years and what has it got us. To solve a problem you have to admit what it actually is. We will change coach but the real problem will still be there. It's been their since 1950 and our athletic record proves it. Since we installed so call athletic friendly courses we have been struggling even more. We lost 3 of our best football recruits due to grades last year. Todays athlete is much more interested in athletics first and academics why down the list, particully basketball players. It's not the way it should be , but that is reality. rjc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:57 pm 
President's Circle

rjc wrote:

If you know specifics we don't please share. Otherwise trotting the "we are who we were 10, 20, 30 or 50 years ago" is just crap and is what you hear from simpletons like Daniels and Ella shoe people. The ability to recruit academic risk players has been all over the map the last 50 years. In the 80's for a good while is wasn't a hurdle. It has went up and down since then. The admins have changed and much of college football itself. 2019's parameters and resources are different from 2009, which were different from 99, which were different from 89 and 79.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm 
Riptide Level

rjc wrote:

There are more academically equivalent (or possibly superior) schools doing better than Tulane in basketball than in football or baseball. The worst Ivy League basketball team (Columbia) is rated higher than Tulane. There are zero excuses for why the Green Wave are as bad as they are. Troy Dannen seems like a sharp and committed fellow. I think he'll know what he has to do and I think he'll do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:35 pm 
Regent's Circle

Cornish is simply trying to manage adversity as a man of faith. To his credit, he has shared that with us.

He comes from a great family and is not a quitter. He is obviously more upset with his poor play than we are. No doubt Dunleavy has to shake things up and a lineup change would not surprise any of us, if that has occurred. (I am not assuming it has.) Regardless I'm rooting for Jordan to get his basketball mojo back. Tulane needs him to play to his potential.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 am 
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
I agree - a D1 team can’t be much worse. If anything the score flattered the Green Wave. The dominance felt more like a 30+ point loss.

I live in the Northeast and get to see a lot of lower level college ball (Patriot, Ivy, MAAC, etc) and Tulane would be at the bottom of all those conferences. It’s shocking they are an AAC team.

And it's shocking that a middle-pack-in-a-good-conference team from last year lost only two players and added some decent freshmen yet regressed SO much. I have zero insider knowledge but this sure points to off-court problems. People keep tossing around "they've quit" but it's starting to look very likely. There's no way to recover from a situation like that without the thing that shall not be named until March.

We weren't a middle of the pack team. We were in the bottom pack.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
I agree - a D1 team can’t be much worse. If anything the score flattered the Green Wave. The dominance felt more like a 30+ point loss.

I live in the Northeast and get to see a lot of lower level college ball (Patriot, Ivy, MAAC, etc) and Tulane would be at the bottom of all those conferences. It’s shocking they are an AAC team.

And it's shocking that a middle-pack-in-a-good-conference team from last year lost only two players and added some decent freshmen yet regressed SO much. I have zero insider knowledge but this sure points to off-court problems. People keep tossing around "they've quit" but it's starting to look very likely. There's no way to recover from a situation like that without the thing that shall not be named until March.

I hope you're wrong but performance speaks for itself. I'm just curious what if any changes MD will do this season. Let's remember WF pulled his starting QB and replaced him (successfully) with someone who had literally been with the team a matter of weeks.

As to what must not be named until March, my guess is no change. So again I hope you're wrong and MD and team figure it out soon.

Meanwhile see the real diehards Sunday at the Memphis game. I'll get all the Wave tee shirts I ever wanted if Tulane makes a few threes.

Who are you to say who is a real diehard?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:

I hope you're wrong but performance speaks for itself. I'm just curious what if any changes MD will do this season. Let's remember WF pulled his starting QB and replaced him (successfully) with someone who had literally been with the team a matter of weeks.

As to what must not be named until March, my guess is no change. So again I hope you're wrong and MD and team figure it out soon.

Meanwhile see the real diehards Sunday at the Memphis game. I'll get all the Wave tee shirts I ever wanted if Tulane makes a few threes.

Who are you to say who is a real diehard?
... So you're not going to the basketball game Sunday? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

WD, I'll take it that when you typed that you had a smile on your face.

If you're a diehard, livesoft or just a neighborly fan who wants to support Tulane then I encourage any and all to join us at Devlin. I'm just safely predicting that whatever their names, we won't see many of them.

However one thing I'm not is deluded and I understand totally those who may have something better to do like my neighbor across the street who played ball at Tulane and he is going to the Saints game. Memphis usually travels well as these things go. They may bring several hundred fans to the game. Remember the benchmark in this season to forget is now UT-Martin. They brought no one (as in zero/zilch/nada) to the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

I am still shocked that Tulane did not manage to move the game. I have to guess they tried and were shot down (either by TV, the league, or Memphis). As I stated before, they moved a game forward a few hours back in my day just because the then-mediocre Saints had a MNF game.

Of course, there was no TV coverage to worry about upsetting...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 pm 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:
WD, I'll take it that when you typed that you had a smile on your face.

If you're a diehard, livesoft or just a neighborly fan who wants to support Tulane then I encourage any and all to join us at Devlin. I'm just safely predicting that whatever their names, we won't see many of them.

However one thing I'm not is deluded and I understand totally those who may have something better to do like my neighbor across the street who played ball at Tulane and he is going to the Saints game. Memphis usually travels well as these things go. They may bring several hundred fans to the game. Remember the benchmark in this season to forget is now UT-Martin. They brought no one (as in zero/zilch/nada) to the game.

No smile at all. It was just another in a long line of pompous post from you. Pete's not going to the game . So he's not a diehard? 8) As for me there is no bigger diehard. I'm also a diehard Saints fan . Season tickets for over 30 years. It's the playoffs. Gonna be in the Dome. There are other diehards that aren't big Saints fans and won't be going to the Saints game but they aren't going to the Tulane game. The reason is they believe the only way to help the program they love is to not go so as to draw attention to how disgusted the fan base is. You're no better than any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm 
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
I am still shocked that Tulane did not manage to move the game. I have to guess they tried and were shot down (either by TV, the league, or Memphis). As I stated before, they moved a game forward a few hours back in my day just because the then-mediocre Saints had a MNF game.

Of course, there was no TV coverage to worry about upsetting...

I was at he last home game. Heard a fan going off on a high ranking member of the athletic department who happened to be walking by. The fan was going on about going against the Saints game. The official tried explaining that TV controlled that. Eventually the fan said well can't y'all talk to them? To appease him and get away the official said he'd look into it. You could tell Tulane hadn't even thought of doing that and with good reason. The bottom line is the product is so bad it doesn't matter when the game is played because hardly anyone will go. So rather than waste capital trying to get this game moved they'd rather wait till we have a team worth watching before making that effort. I'll add that the Memphis game is no longer a sellout game. Hasn't been for a few seasons now. They aren't good and don't have anyone worth making the effort to go see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:

We weren't a middle of the pack team. We were in the bottom pack.

That we weren't at least in the middle of the pack should have given us a clue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm 
Navigator Level

True.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

We had a Tulane Fan committee meeting last night, and I specifically asked why the game couldn’t be moved - was it the Conference (flights, officials, etc), but was told it was definitely TV.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

noladave wrote:
We had a Tulane Fan committee meeting last night, and I specifically asked why the game couldn’t be moved - was it the Conference (flights, officials, etc), but was told it was definitely TV.

Did you ask what the plan is to right the basketball Titanic?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
noladave wrote:

Did you ask what the plan is to right the basketball Titanic?

Next time please pass on wishes for good juju