Basketball RPI

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Basketball RPI

Post by tjtlja »

We currently sit at 262 sandwiched between LIU and Sacred Heart. We are by far the lowest ranked team from a conference that is considered to be a good basketball conference. How did this happen and how will it be fixed? Since the RPI’s existence, have we ever been ranked so low?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Basketball RPI

Post by OGSB »

tjtlja wrote:We currently sit at 262 sandwiched between LIU and Sacred Heart. We are by far the lowest ranked team from a conference that is considered to be a good basketball conference...how will it be fixed?
Can’t talk about it.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

We are 302 in the NET rankings.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Tulane isn't just the worst team in the AAC, they would be in the basement of just about any conference you could name. What's sad is that expectations are so low, nobody (other than us message-boarders) seem to care. Can you imagine this level of failure being tolerated at any other major university?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

AWD, Numbers speak for themselves. Tulane's results right now are historically bad not just comparatively bad as you note. Ironically Tulane is now in a shooting slump which I would not have guessed. But that's in the weeds stuff. Regardless I don't consider that this record is the result of bad luck. (The non-PI call on the Rams. That was bad luck for the Saints.)

In this case, the measure of the Tulane peasants and pitchforks factor is the crickets.

Meanwhile Paul has played way above his historic level the past two games. If Koka (and Ajang?) are injured, it will be very interesting how he handles Fall Wednesday. It may be a quick foul-out night.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:AWD, Numbers speak for themselves. Tulane's results right now are historically bad not just comparatively bad as you note. Ironically Tulane is now in a shooting slump which I would not have guessed. But that's in the weeds stuff. Regardless I don't consider that this record is the result of bad luck. (The non-PI call on the Rams. That was bad luck for the Saints.)

In this case, the measure of the Tulane peasants and pitchforks factor is the crickets.
Pitchforks aren’t really allowed.
Victory is never permanent
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

angrywavedad wrote:Tulane isn't just the worst team in the AAC, they would be in the basement of just about any conference you could name. What's sad is that expectations are so low, nobody (other than us message-boarders) seem to care. Can you imagine this level of failure being tolerated at any other major university?
Tulane is the only major school to have a former AD say multiple times publicly that Tulane does not judge by wins and losses and keep his job for years beyond that. So not surprising at all.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:Tulane isn't just the worst team in the AAC, they would be in the basement of just about any conference you could name. What's sad is that expectations are so low, nobody (other than us message-boarders) seem to care. Can you imagine this level of failure being tolerated at any other major university?
Tulane is the only major school to have a former AD say multiple times publicly that Tulane does not judge by wins and losses and keep his job for years beyond that. So not surprising at all.
Please stop reminding me of that.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

wavedom wrote:
What is so ignorant about your post, wavedom, is that you quote a "former AD". Former means he is no longer running the show. I try to live in present rather than the past. Don't forget the past. Let's see what AD Dannen does to right the ship. And it surely does need righting.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:
Wazzou?

Just saying if you're going to go big, don't be factually inaccurate
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Gee that really changes things.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Baywave1 wrote:AWD, Numbers speak for themselves. Tulane's results right now are historically bad not just comparatively bad as you note. Ironically Tulane is now in a shooting slump which I would not have guessed. But that's in the weeds stuff. Regardless I don't consider that this record is the result of bad luck. (The non-PI call on the Rams. That was bad luck for the Saints.)

Meanwhile Paul has played way above his historic level the past two games. If Koka (and Ajang?) are injured, it will be very interesting how he handles Fall Wednesday. It may be a quick foul-out night.
I'll give Dunleavy credit on Paul. Since his ejection at Cincy he has been a different player. I'll assume he lit a fire under him after that.

When you aren't shooting well you have to find other ways to score. Good teams still score on off nights by getting the ball inside, taking it to the basket and getting to the foul line, getting some easy fast break points and creating turnovers. Since we don't play any defense, we don't get easy transition baskets. It's tough to win when you rely so much on being able to hit jump shots.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

In short, this team punches below its weight. It has talent. The collective performance is less than the sum of its parts. Since last January, it has won approximately 20% of its games. That is an astoundingly bad performance considering during the past twelve months over two seasons, it has had two current high minor league pro players (Frazer and Reynolds) and two who at least were considering signing pro contracts somewhere, perhaps overseas, (Zhang and ROE.) You can evaluate the remainder of the current roster as you will but I bet the majority of the other non-seniors could get Top 150 team transfer offers if they left (certainly Sehic, Crabtree, Wood, Koka and probably Walker.)

I understand focusing on playoffs when your regular season is meh but at least in the NBA, you have to win in the regular season to make the playoffs and it's not a one-game knockout format. The team is playing hard but every game now has the feeling of Tulane scrimmaging or an NBA preseason game while the other team is keeping score because regular season results matter. Both teams perform accordingly.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote:In short, this team punches below its weight. It has talent. The collective performance is less than the sum of its parts. Since last January, it has won approximately 20% of its games. That is an astoundingly bad performance considering during the past twelve months over two seasons, it has had two current high minor league pro players (Frazer and Reynolds) and two who at least were considering signing pro contracts somewhere, perhaps overseas, (Zhang and ROE.) You can evaluate the remainder of the current roster as you will but I bet the majority of the other non-seniors could get Top 150 team transfer offers if they left (certainly Sehic, Crabtree, Wood, Koka and probably Walker.)

I understand focusing on playoffs when your regular season is meh but at least in the NBA, you have to win in the regular season to make the playoffs and it's not a one-game knockout format. The team is playing hard but every game now has the feeling of Tulane scrimmaging or an NBA preseason game while the other team is keeping score because regular season results matter. Both teams perform accordingly.
In fewer words - Basketball RIP ...
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Bay I agree with you that this team is much better than its record and that the pieces are there to put a better product on the Court. My only conclusion, after seeing this collapse, is that the fault lies in the coaching. I can't think of any other rational explanation. And I know we all harp on Dunleavy's lack of college basketball coaching experience but we tend to forget that Stewart was brought in from Nevada, and paid a lot of money, to fill in that gap. If MD plays the role of CEO, Stewart was slotted in as President of the company.

If MD were to come back next year perhaps the answer is to increase the budget for Assistant Coaches salaries and help him recruit and hire the level of talent Perry Clark surrounded himself with when he was here. Just a thought.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GB, It is amazing the Clark assistants that ended up as HCs elsewhere and have enjoyed solid success (Ron E, Kennedy, yada yada yada.) Tulane never promoted them. Meanwhile Finney, Dickerson and Conroy have yet to even have another HC job at any level. (I have no clue on their assistants' career track post-Tulane.)

No doubt there will be some type of turnover in the MBB program next year. You simply cannot keep doing the SOS at this astounding level of mediocrity. I'm not guessing nor predicting the details of any change.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

no changes probably would mean 10 paying customers at the home games next year :lol:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote:GB, It is amazing the Clark assistants that ended up as HCs elsewhere and have enjoyed solid success (Ron E, Kennedy, yada yada yada.) Tulane never promoted them. Meanwhile Finney, Dickerson and Conroy have yet to even have another HC job at any level. (I have no clue on their assistants' career track post-Tulane.)

No doubt there will be some type of turnover in the MBB program next year. You simply cannot keep doing the SOS at this astounding level of mediocrity. I'm not guessing nor predicting the details of any change.
Mediocrity? I (almost) wish.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Baywave1 wrote:Meanwhile Finney, Dickerson and Conroy have yet to even have another HC job at any level.
name any HC hired by Rick Dickson in any sport and this line pretty much applies to them
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

except for Pierce now HC at Texas and doing pretty well. Which proves that even a blind squirrel will stumble onto an acorn now and again :wink:
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Dickerson is the head coach at USC Upstate (the other, other USC). They are currently 5-15.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

CT Wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
What is so ignorant about your post, wavedom, is that you quote a "former AD". Former means he is no longer running the show. I try to live in present rather than the past. Don't forget the past. Let's see what AD Dannen does to right the ship. And it surely does need righting.
What's ignorant is you missing the point of my post and then agreeing with it. LOL.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

wavedom wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
What's ignorant is you missing the point of my post and then agreeing with it. LOL.
Didn't Rufus Harris drop us out of the SEC? There can be no hope for Tulane. Sorry, you missed my point. Too sad to laugh.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:GB, It is amazing the Clark assistants that ended up as HCs elsewhere and have enjoyed solid success (Ron E, Kennedy, yada yada yada.) Tulane never promoted them.
Tulane never promoted them because we weren't looking for a coach while they were here, and you-know-who was the AD by the time we were. I imagine (and maybe know for a fact :wink:) that some wanted the head coaching job later but they probably dodged a bullet in light of who their boss would have been.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

CT Wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Didn't Rufus Harris drop us out of the SEC? There can be no hope for Tulane. Sorry, you missed my point. Too sad to laugh.
Learn from your mistakes. Apparently you can't.