Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7 Home games in 2023
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm 
Coach Level

Quote:
Tulane adds South Alabama to 2023 home schedule that also includes Ole Miss, Mississippi State

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/01/tul ... state.html

Quote:
A Tulane spokesperson said Monday (Jan. 28) the school indeed does have three home non-conference games set for 2023.

Post subject: Re: 7 Home games in 2023
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

That’s P5 style scheduling, but with it 4 years out, that could always change.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:13 pm 
Breaker Level

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:
Tulane adds South Alabama to 2023 home schedule that also includes Ole Miss, Mississippi State

Quote:
A Tulane spokesperson said Monday (Jan. 28) the school indeed does have three home non-conference games set for 2023.

We reported earlier on Twitter and Facebook:

Tulane has locked in 7 homes games in *2021 through 2023*

2021:
- Oklahoma
- UAB
- TBD

2022:
- Southern Miss
- UMass
- Alcorn

2023:
- Ole Miss
- Miss State
- South Alabama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 am 
Regent's Circle

fearthewave wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

2021:
- Oklahoma
- UAB
- TBD

2022:
- Southern Miss
- UMass
- Alcorn

2023:
- Ole Miss
- Miss State
- South Alabama

yeah, in 2021 you can insert "buy out" where Oklahoma sits. I think it's less of a threat from Ole Miss and Miss State as neither will ever be good enough to be that high on themselves.. and neither could afford the buy out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
fearthewave wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

2021:
- Oklahoma
- UAB
- TBD

2022:
- Southern Miss
- UMass
- Alcorn

2023:
- Ole Miss
- Miss State
- South Alabama

yeah, in 2021 you can insert "buy out" where Oklahoma sits. I think it's less of a threat from Ole Miss and Miss State as neither will ever be good enough to be that high on themselves.. and neither could afford the buy out.

I would be surprised if Ole Miss plays at Yulman.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:00 pm 
President's Circle

We are scheduled to return to Ole Miss and Oklahoma after those home games, which I would think at least protects us some.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
We are scheduled to return to Ole Miss and Oklahoma after those home games, which I would think at least protects us some.

I was not aware of that.. I thought they were the typical P5 "two for one" where you play the first two in their place and they buy you out so they can get an extra home game v. a "rent-a-win"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
fearthewave wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

2021:
- Oklahoma
- UAB
- TBD

2022:
- Southern Miss
- UMass
- Alcorn

2023:
- Ole Miss
- Miss State
- South Alabama

What makes you say that? They will have a different AD and likely a different coach when that date rolls around so you never know. That said, having both State and Ole Miss playing in town the same year kinda holds them hostage. Whichever team backs out the other might have some sort of recruiting advantage in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

and a trip to New Orleans may be seen as a reward to alumni/fans/players. Also wouldn't surprise me if we were asked to move our game to the Dome by Oklahoma.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm 
President's Circle

Which we should promptly turn down. No reason to play games in the Dome with opponents who have already agreed to play at Yulman.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

Hope pessimism above is wrong but it's a free country. Collect the buyout and move on like contractual payments from departing coaches who are job hopping.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

I've never been opposed to a Dome game on occasion for the right opponent (Oklahoma would have qualified), and have been surprised we haven't done it yet.

And I'm well aware of buyout trends.

But given the full context, programs involved, contracts, situation, I'd be 110% flabbergasted if Ole Miss and Miss State don't both play at Yulman. And Oklahoma the odds are WELL above 50%, with a Dome compromise more likely as a second option than a buyout.

That said, scheduling 7 home games is a nice insurance policy in case I'm wrong.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
fearthewave wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

2021:
- Oklahoma
- UAB
- TBD

2022:
- Southern Miss
- UMass
- Alcorn

2023:
- Ole Miss
- Miss State
- South Alabama

What makes you say that? They will have a different AD and likely a different coach when that date rolls around so you never know. That said, having both State and Ole Miss playing in town the same year kinda holds them hostage. Whichever team backs out the other might have some sort of recruiting advantage in the area.
The size of our stadium combined with the amount of fans they traditionally bring when we play them. Both of those teams play in BR every other year, I don't think there's any edge for either of them to gain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

I wouldn't have a problem with playing a team like OK in the Dome. They could potentially bring a ton of fans with them, like Texas did that one year they came here. And we do it in MBB we played N. Carolina downtown in the Arena, I went it was fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:35 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
fearthewave wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

2021:
- Oklahoma
- UAB
- TBD

2022:
- Southern Miss
- UMass
- Alcorn

2023:
- Ole Miss
- Miss State
- South Alabama

The size of our stadium combined with the amount of fans they traditionally bring when we play them. Both of those teams play in BR every other year, I don't think there's any edge for either of them to gain.

Perhaps, but then why is State playing ULL in the Dome this coming season?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm 
Navigator Level

No problem playing those teams in the Dome. Hopefully we are right in believing that our program is on the rise. I'd love to be in a stadium with 50,000 or more fans watching us play a quality opponent. As to the contract it may well just state the games will be played in New Orleans. Even if the contracts don't state that the games can be moved if warranted on our end. May it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

I have no problem with a dome game, especially if it’s Oklahoma. But why would we be actively rooting for it? We should obviously be striving to play them in yulmam. And with both Mississippi teams I think it’s a near lock

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
I have no problem with a dome game, especially if it’s Oklahoma. But why would we be actively rooting for it? We should obviously be striving to play them in yulmam. And with both Mississippi teams I think it’s a near lock
The reason for having OU come to NOLA is to make money and maybe draw casual fans that otherwise wouldn’t have attended a game. Having it at the Dome defeats that purpose if the cost to play there equals or outweighs the revenue earned as it was in the past. No longer being under contract each season hopefully means we get to negotiate a better deal if it were to happen for 1 game.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 pm 
Navigator Level

waverider wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
The reason for having OU come to NOLA is to make money and maybe draw casual fans that otherwise wouldn’t have attended a game. Having it at the Dome defeats that purpose if the cost to play there equals or outweighs the revenue earned as it was in the past. No longer being under contract each season hopefully means we get to negotiate a better deal if it were to happen for 1 game.

Of course we should be actively rooting for it. It will mean our program has taken off and is winning in a meaningful way.

Playing in the Dome in front of 50,000 or more will make us a nice bundle. No worries there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:32 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Of course we should be actively rooting for it. It will mean our program has taken off and is winning in a meaningful way.

Playing in the Dome in front of 50,000 or more will make us a nice bundle. No worries there.

At 50,000 maybe. At 40,000 probably not. Remember Dome would presumably charge Tulane commercial rates to rent and staff it. Comparable is what Temple pays the Eagles (in other words a lot.) Days of Tulane paying massively discounted rates to play in the Dome ended with Yulman.

You would have to draw significantly more to Dome than Yulman where all you are paying are marginal variable costs and no rent to make it worthwhile. This is in addition to losing the campus vibe, yada yada yada.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

At 50,000 maybe. At 40,000 probably not. Remember Dome would presumably charge Tulane commercial rates to rent and staff it. Comparable is what Temple pays the Eagles (in other words a lot.) Days of Tulane paying massively discounted rates to play in the Dome ended with Yulman.

You would have to draw significantly more to Dome than Yulman where all you are paying are marginal variable costs and no rent to make it worthwhile. This is in addition to losing the campus vibe, yada yada yada.

40K or 50k is not realistic IMO. Maybe 30, maybe. The game vs Texas in '02 got 46k on paper, far far less in person.

Furthermore putting it in the dome would not be acting with fidelity to our vendors and investors in Yulman. It also sends the message that Yulman is small time. Games should be played in the dome ONLY when they are a neutral site game or a one off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am 
President's Circle

+1 Poseidon

Yulman is our home.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 am 
Emerald Circle

The only game we should play in the Dome is the Sugar Bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:

guess you don't want us to play for the national championship the years the Dome hosts the game then

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am 
President's Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
windywave wrote:

guess you don't want us to play for the national championship the years the Dome hosts the game then

Not my first choice, but I'm cool with playing in the NOLA bowl on 'down' years. :wink: