Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 7 Home games in 2023
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:
wavedom wrote:

When people saw the seat licenses they'd have to pay to get the season tickets they'd most likely pass. Our situation isn't comparable to LSU's at all. They have other SEC games too. The rest of our scheduling just isn't that attractive. That's just a weak argument.

You choose to go snarky too. Do a FOIA. Or just use your common sense and look at what's been going on there. As I have pointed out the HS championships being played there shows the rent isn't exorbitant . Do you think ULL v. MSU will draw 50,000? I certainly don't but they are playing there anyway.

OU "and the rest of our scheduling" may not be attractive in a 70,000 seat Superdome or 100,000+ LSU stadium but in a 30,000 seat one? I'd answer an emphatic yes.

If you think we could sell 50,000 seats for OU in the Dome then let's assume we could sell out Yulman at 30,000. If that includes only selling an additional 5000 season tickets (perhaps a reach, perhaps not), Tulane is better off by definition with a six (or better yet seven) home game season.

As concerns the HS tourney, LHSAA rents the Dome now for multiple days every year and with the split in the championship format has added what five (or is it six?) games. By definition they are providing the Dome volume which makes them a better customer. As with any business, "Buy more from me and I'll give you a better price." Finally don't you think All State is in effect paying for all this? LHSAA and All State are simply bigger customers than Tulane is or would be.

Yulman seats less than 23,000. Again people are going to buy season tickets when they get the sticker shock. They'll do like many others and buy it on a single game basis. The thing to be concerned with is the stadium being taken over by OU fans in much greater numbers than we have seen much lesser programs do recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

and why are we Okay with having a marquee game downtown at the Arena (N. Carolina a couple of years ago) instead of Devlin (MBB) but it's a terrible idea to move, if asked, a marquee game to the Dome in football?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 pm 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
and why are we Okay with having a marquee game downtown to the Arena (N. Carolina a couple of years ago) instead of Devlin (MBB) but it's a terrible idea to move, if asked, a marquee game to the Dome in football?

Then there's that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

someone help me understand the logic here?

:-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:46 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
I'm just curious what people think. So if OK came to us and said Yulman couldn't accommodate all of their fans who were planning to go to the game (trip to New Orleans!) and asked us to either please move the game to the Dome or they would just pay us off and not have the game............folks here would elect the latter?

Good hypothetical. I would first get on the phone to find out what other "name" program we could find to replace OU. Off the top of my head, independent BYU would probably play a one-for-one, maybe even Boise St.. Depending on what we find out, I'd take the money and run, no questions asked.

If it's only Jimmy-and-Leroy St. U. (N. Texas, USA, etc.) that we could get as a replacement, then I'd have to think about it. I still would be worried about the precedent it would send if we said yes to OU.

That there isn't any room to expand beyond 3K extra seats is laughable and is totally out-of-school. Show me the deal we made with the city that says we cannot increase seating on the west side--forever. One thing is sure: without sellouts, we will not expand Yulman. Without an expanded Yulman, kiss the P5 goodbye.

Let's start out with Step 2: do all we can to sellout Yulman and to sell season tix. That to me is Job 1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:51 pm 
Navigator Level

Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
I'm just curious what people think. So if OK came to us and said Yulman couldn't accommodate all of their fans who were planning to go to the game (trip to New Orleans!) and asked us to either please move the game to the Dome or they would just pay us off and not have the game............folks here would elect the latter?

Good hypothetical. I would first get on the phone to find out what other "name" program we could find to replace OU. Off the top of my head, independent BYU would probably play a one-for-one, maybe even Boise St.. Depending on what we find out, I'd take the money and run, no questions asked.

If it's only Jimmy-and-Leroy St. U. (N. Texas, USA, etc.) that we could get as a replacement, then I'd have to think about it. I still would be worried about the precedent it would send if we said yes to OU.

That there isn't any room to expand beyond 3K extra seats is laughable and is totally out-of-school. Show me the deal we made with the city that says we cannot increase seating on the west side--forever. One thing is sure: without sellouts, we will not expand Yulman. Without an expanded Yulman, kiss the P5 goodbye.

Let's start out with Step 2: do all we can to sellout Yulman and to sell season tix. That to me is Job 1.

BYU and Boise don't begin to compare to OU.

No one said it can only be expanded by 3,000. You could get 3,000 on the west side likely that number in the north end zone with an upper deck and if you added a third deck to the east side maybe another 3,000. so it would still seat less than 35,000.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

Let's start out with Step 2: do all we can to sellout Yulman and to sell season tix. That to me is Job 1

+1000

here's my dream/expectation: that WF continues to guide the Program on an upward trajectory and that by the time the OK game rolls around we'll be the ones clamoring to move the game to the Dome because there is no way in Heck that Yulman will accommodate our fans as well as the fans OK will bring to the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:55 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
and why are we Okay with having a marquee game downtown at the Arena (N. Carolina a couple of years ago) instead of Devlin (MBB) but it's a terrible idea to move, if asked, a marquee game to the Dome in football?

Ideally we wouldn't do that. In my mind I'd much rather us play marquee opponents in a raucous Devlin. But of course that would require a good team that is actually competitive and has a strong local following.

And it's not the end of the world if we did end up playing a big name team in the dome, but there are real reasons to not want to move games out of our normal home venues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

No one said it can only be expanded by 3,000. You could get 3,000 on the west side likely that number in the north end zone with an upper deck and if you added a third deck to the east side maybe another 3,000. so it would still seat less than 35,000.

BS. You telling me a second deck only seats 3,000? Riiiight. That footprint could support added upper decks west and end zones to 40K, easy. We just don't fill the d@mned thing up, so no need talking about it.

No, BSU and BYU aren't OU, didn't say they were. But, depending on the OU buy-out money and their draw from us (I would be there, so would much of our base), it would be a better economic deal for Tulane than OU at the Dome. Believe it or not, BSU travels VERY well. BYU not so much, but we might be able to get some added TV money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

Latter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

yeah, but you're a cut off your nose to spite your face kid of guy, you don't count :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

If Ole Miss or Ms State come to us with GB's ultimatum, we tell them to take a hike.

If it's OU I'm on the fence. Would depend on the size of the buyout and how far in advance it was (can we replace them with at least G5 or an away game P5 instead of having to add a second FCS??)

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

For all we know Tulane took a big loss on that game but that’s apples to oranges. I would have rathered that game at Devlin. I said it before, during and after. Having a BBall game at the arena was a recruiting tool just so we could bring recruits there as an official game site. It also was to attract more locals. Having a football game at the Dome is solely to please the opponent.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:48 pm 
Navigator Level

GB said:

here's my dream/expectation: that WF continues to guide the Program on an upward trajectory and that by the time the OK game rolls around we'll be the ones clamoring to move the game to the Dome because there is no way in Heck that Yulman will accommodate our fans as well as the fans OK will bring to the game.[/quote]

That's what I have been trying to get across.

Last edited by wavedom on Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm 
Navigator Level

Rotorooter wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

BS. You telling me a second deck only seats 3,000? Riiiight. That footprint could support added upper decks west and end zones to 40K, easy. We just don't fill the d@mned thing up, so no need talking about it.

No, BSU and BYU aren't OU, didn't say they were. But, depending on the OU buy-out money and their draw from us (I would be there, so would much of our base), it would be a better economic deal for Tulane than OU at the Dome. Believe it or not, BSU travels VERY well. BYU not so much, but we might be able to get some added TV money.

Not BS at all. You are clearly not familiar with the stadium or the footprint. That east side deck seats around 3,000. That's it. I get that upsets your world but that's not my problem. There is no way to add on the south end because as I said it abuts Reilly and they aren't tearing that down. So starting from 22,000 seats you are way short of 40,00 seats. Unless your Rick Dickson of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:53 pm 
Navigator Level

waverider wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

For all we know Tulane took a big loss on that game but that’s apples to oranges. I would have rathered that game at Devlin. I said it before, during and after. Having a BBall game at the arena was a recruiting tool just so we could bring recruits there as an official game site. It also was to attract more locals. Having a football game at the Dome is solely to please the opponent.

If we are good at that point it will also be done to accommodate and please our fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Seems like wavedom has all kinds of inside information on what the dome would charge us to play there and also how much revenue other events bring in when hosted there.

I fail to see how playing Oklahoma or Ole Miss or whoever in the Dome says we've arrived on the football scene. How is it any different than playing them uptown and having a packed stadium rather than a 1/3 empty dome (which is what drawing 50k would be)? You've got your opinion and that's fine, but seems to me you're making an awful lot of assumptions.

Well you've chosen to go snarky rather than cite facts that contradict what I have said. As to what the Dome charges it is clearly not exorbitant or the HS championships wouldn't be played there. They have done so for decades now. Putting 50,00 in there would not leave it 1/3 empty. it now seats 65,000.

If we move the game to the Dome it will be because our program has become a winner and the game will be played in a world renowned facility. The media attention would make it clear that we have arrived. I'm not talking about just scheduling those type of games there up front just to do it. I'm saying to do it if we have raised our level of play to championship caliber in the AAC.

Why do you assume Tulane would get the same rate for a one off game that the Superdome gives to state high schools on an annual basis? They could be giving very favorable rates just for the sake of helping out the community and getting good publicity. You made claims about revenue we'd make and what kind of deal we'd get so it seemed to me you'd be the one to have actual facts.

Here's a fact for you: the listed capacity of the Superdome for a football game is 74,295. That figure varies for other events, but that's where I got 50,000=1/3 empty from. You're welcome to Google that and corroborate if you'd like.

You think moving the game to the Dome would indicate we're a winner. I think controlling where we play and playing those games in front of sold out crowds where we have better control over the crowd mix would be a better indication of success. Guess we just disagree

Why wouldn't the Dome be as good a partner to us as they are to the HS's? They asked us to come practice there to help them get the new turf( a new one is installed every year) in shape for the season and we did. We also practiced there a few times more this year after that. We have pull there.

We definitely disagree on the impact playing a big game in the Dome could do for the program.

As to the Dome the seating for football is 65,000 after the latest work that was done. That's the information sent to me by the Saints as a season ticketholder. The wikpedia page you looked up is outdated. it still includes baseball . Baseball can no longer be played in the Dome based on the latest work done.

The Saints averaged 73,051 per home game this year for 100.1 percent capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm 
Navigator Level

Looks like we split the difference on the seats at 70,000:

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/04 ... possi.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 am 
Navigator Level

Rotorooter wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

Took awhile because I thought it was posted here but it was posted by LSU Law Greenie on another site. He does post here:

"So I was curious how many actual seats are in Yulman Stadium so I took the time to add it up and here goes...

The upper deck (Westfeltd) has 3,027
The bottom deck of the home side (Home side under Westfeltd) has 3,307
The rest of the stadium from student section to family section has 16,326.

GRAND TOTAL IS 22,660"

So not BS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:39 am 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

Took awhile because I thought it was posted here but it was posted by LSU Law Greenie on another site. He does post here:

"So I was curious how many actual seats are in Yulman Stadium so I took the time to add it up and here goes...

GRAND TOTAL IS 22,660"

So not BS.

My BS point is that the space will hold 40K fans. I'm not an architect (and my guess is that you are not either), but by putting tiers over the remaining part of the stadium - the 16,326 part - you could then make it two decks around and be in the 39K range, before SRO on the party decks. That's where we want to get to. And before you rebut that you cannot put anything in front of the Reilly Center, you bet we would if we wanted to. It's a question of want, not how.

In reality, if any expansion were to occur, it would be done in phases, just like everywhere else. But no expansion will occur unless we start selling out the place. Which won't happen if every time we bring in a "legit" opponent, we'll have to go to the Dome to play them. To be perfectly honest, we haven't played an Oklahoma at home, so we don't have to worry about this issue very often--Texas is the only game I can think of in the last 20 years (and those b@st@rds from BR won't play us anymore). So we're talking about a problem that rarely crops up. Play the games in Yulman and fill the d@mn thing up.

Frankly, I wish the folks in the Glazer Club would sit in their seats for the games, but if they don't, figure a way to "resell" those tix to people who WILL sit in them. I know it's just optics, but it looks terrible on TV.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 am 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
Frankly, I wish the folks in the Glazer Club would sit in their seats for the games, but if they don't, figure a way to "resell" those tix to people who WILL sit in them. I know it's just optics, but it looks terrible on TV.
Or we could build a Florida sun porch over and around the Glazer outdoor seats and pipe in air conditioning, so all the folks there won’t get the vapors. It could look the reviewing stands for a presidential inauguration parade. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am 
Navigator Level

Rotorooter wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

GRAND TOTAL IS 22,660"

So not BS.

My BS point is that the space will hold 40K fans. I'm not an architect (and my guess is that you are not either), but by putting tiers over the remaining part of the stadium - the 16,326 part - you could then make it two decks around and be in the 39K range, before SRO on the party decks. That's where we want to get to. And before you rebut that you cannot put anything in front of the Reilly Center, you bet we would if we wanted to. It's a question of want, not how.

In reality, if any expansion were to occur, it would be done in phases, just like everywhere else. But no expansion will occur unless we start selling out the place. Which won't happen if every time we bring in a "legit" opponent, we'll have to go to the Dome to play them. To be perfectly honest, we haven't played an Oklahoma at home, so we don't have to worry about this issue very often--Texas is the only game I can think of in the last 20 years (and those b@st@rds from BR won't play us anymore). So we're talking about a problem that rarely crops up. Play the games in Yulman and fill the d@mn thing up.

It won't hold 40,000. I'm not talking about putting something in front of Reilly. The south end zone abuts the back of Reilly. There is literally no space there to add on. Adding a 3,000 seat deck on the west side and another on the east side along with 3,000 more over the north end zone puts you at around 33,000 when you include the two party decks which hold 250 people each.

The point of putting the upcoming big games in the Dome is that it would show the need for expansion. Tulane could literally see how many actual butts in seats they can get. And again the only reason to put them there is if our program continues to progress to the point of being in regular position to win the AAC. If we are just winning 6 or 7 or 8 games or goodness forbid having losing seasons there'll be no need to move games or expand. I'll add that if the program is good it won't take playing big games to fill it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:04 am 
Emerald Circle

The stadium is the size it needs to be for now. When sellouts are a normal thing, then we have the ability to add at least another 20,000 seats. Perhaps it would be done in phases adding 10,000 or so to start and wait for the demand to go up before expanding again.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 am 
Navigator Level

waverider wrote:
The stadium is the size it needs to be for now. When sellouts are a normal thing, then we have the ability to add at least another 20,000 seats. Perhaps it would be done in phases adding 10,000 or so to start and wait for the demand to go up before expanding again.

Thank you Rick Dickson.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:06 am 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:

Thank you Rick Dickson.

I never mentioned the garden out front.

Seeing as my post was the most reasonable of the thread, Rick Dickson is the last name that comes to mind!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next