Jalen McClesky named the #19 transfer for 2019 by 247 Sports

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Jalen McClesky named the #19 transfer for 2019 by 247 Sports

Post by waverider »

Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Re: Jalen McClesky named the #19 transfer for 2019 by 247 Sp

Post by PeteRasche »

How many G5 transfers (transfers TO G5s) are above him?

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:How many G5 transfers (transfers TO G5s) are above him?
None. Next below is at 42 to Temple.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
Wimbush to UCF at 31

https://247sports.com/Article/College-f ... 128478942/
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

That was sorta what I was expecting to hear. Getting a guy like that is a huge blessing and not something that G5 schools typically do without extenuating circumstances (in our case, employing his dad). That's why I'm praying he stays healthy all year. He's likely a receiver of the likes that our conference's dbs aren't prepared to handle. He could be a legit game changer.

Same thing could have been said about Canteen in light of his resume. But injuries...

Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Will Canteen be around for 2019? What is his status?

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Is Canteen done done? I don't see him on the roster, so I'm guessing he's hanging them up
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Cheerleader wrote:Will Canteen be around for 2019? What is his status?
We had the same thought. Theoretically he could get a waiver for a sixth season based on injury redshirt, but I haven't seen any mention of it
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Wimbush to UCF at 31

https://247sports.com/Article/College-f ... 128478942/
I stand corrected.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

I would like to think that McClesky will have the same big play ability as Encalade but with better hands on possession routes. With that said, Mooney will be the guy teams will have to gameplan for until McClesky shows that he needs to be respected and/or is injury-free.

I'd like to think that Hall will pass to the RBs and TEs more and not be so dependent on the WRs, a position where we are thin. All he has to do is come up with plays to pass the ball to Dauphine in space and it will open up so many alternatives.
Plan your work, work your plan.

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I don’t think we’re thin on the outside. We have two all-conference level players, three other lettermen, two redshirts held back by injury, and two good-looking signees. We got whittled down early last year but finished okay. If just one guy from each of the latter three groupings steps up to be dependable we’ll be doing solidly.

One of the lessons I took from last year is that our playbook only got two WR’s the ball with any consistency regardless of how many wideouts were on the field. At the end of last year I had to believe that we squandered Jabril Clewis. His performance in the last two games showed that he could make plays. Mooney’s speed and McCleskey’s proven ability mean that the emerging #3 will have opportunities to make a difference. Of course I agree about getting the ball more to the backs and tight ends.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

What are these "tight ends" of which you speak? Some mythical beasts of unknown power? Where do we get them?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I’d like one more veteran but I like our top two guys at tight end.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:I don’t think we’re thin on the outside. We have two all-conference level players, three other lettermen, two redshirts held back by injury, and two good-looking signees. We got whittled down early last year but finished okay. If just one guy from each of the latter three groupings steps up to be dependable we’ll be doing solidly.

One of the lessons I took from last year is that our playbook only got two WR’s the ball with any consistency regardless of how many wideouts were on the field. At the end of last year I had to believe that we squandered Jabril Clewis. His performance in the last two games showed that he could make plays. Mooney’s speed and McCleskey’s proven ability mean that the emerging #3 will have opportunities to make a difference. Of course I agree about getting the ball more to the backs and tight ends.
Totally agree with you about Clewis, wish he were coming back. I guess I should say that we are losing most of our catches and experience on the outside. Robertson looks to be that #3 and he has much promise. Toles had moments, but nothing consistent. Valien had the dropsies and needs to improve. Not much else beyond the promising incoming freshmen, which is tough to rely on.

Enlighten me on our TEs. I thought most of the snaps graduated with Jones (talk about underutilized) and Ardoin.

Hall had that kid in Memphis that is really, really good. If we can get a guy playing like Magnifico, I'd be REALLY happy.

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Wallace and James played all year. James made a circus catch vs UAB and showed he could get down the field. Wallace is a big body who started getting involved in the passing game. We’ll need a true freshman to play for depth but I am fine with the top two. I would not be surprised if one of them takes a real step forward. Wallace and James probably had more snaps last year than Ardoin, who was hurt much of the year.

Funny thing about Joey Magnifico. He doesn’t catch that many passes. Twenty-one catches in each of the last two years. If we had that guy and Memphis’ offense would we be screaming to use him more? Don’t know.

Robertson and Toles have looked at times like they were about to make a move. Robertson looked that way more than once but he gets banged up.

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:Wallace and James played all year. James made a circus catch vs UAB and showed he could get down the field. Wallace is a big body who started getting involved in the passing game. We’ll need a true freshman to play for depth but I am fine with the top two. I would not be surprised if one of them takes a real step forward.
Agree about James, he looks to be the "guy." I say that because Wallace seems more like an H-back to me, more of a lead blocker. He was utilized this way more than in the passing game this season. He doesn't strike me as a get-down-the-field TE that makes big plays. I think you are correct about needing more depth there, particularly with guys who need to line up at the "traditional" TE spot at the end of the line.

That stat blows me away about Magnifico. I think he will be a great pro TE.