Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am 
Emerald Circle

I agree Bay. Were I in NOLA I'd likely have season tix and still be invested. But as is, I'm in the dad-of-young-kids phase of life where I'm spending every night helping with homework and getting them to bed and it hasn't been worth making it a priority to alter things in order to watch (as I did even last year).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
GSx wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
A 4 win season is more than possible. How many coaches survive this in year three? A plus 300 RPI. What is the over/under on transfers at year end? Could you blame them?

For goodness sakes.

Really? Be honest, of the three freshman, how many do you truly expect to be on our team next year? I mean, we're not allowed to suggest or recommend it, but can we lament it?

How many players have transferred out under Dunleavy despite 2+ poor seasons? We just got a commit from our first top 100 player in 20 years, despite our worse season in 40 years. We've been terrible for 3 years, except for maybe 3 weeks last season. Nothing's different-we are terrible, I have no idea if we will improve anytime soon. But the game last night is time for the extra hysterics?

And heck, there are some I wouldn't lament anyway.

I think calling it "hysterics" is a overdoing it a bit. But regardless, several players have transferred out (just because you don't miss them doesn't mean it didn't happen... Heck, we were just talking about one in this very thread). And that was despite the past two offseasons showing promise for the future so there was reason for players to stay. You don't think this upcoming offseason is a little less hopeful?

And I've solidly filed our "huge commitment" under "well, that's nice" since it's two years out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GSx wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
A 4 win season is more than possible. How many coaches survive this in year three? A plus 300 RPI. What is the over/under on transfers at year end? Could you blame them?

For goodness sakes.

Really? Be honest, of the three freshman, how many do you truly expect to be on our team next year? I mean, we're not allowed to suggest or recommend it, but can we lament it?

I would expect all three to be back. It would be different if they weren't getting any run, but freshman don't really transfer just because a team is bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I would expect all three to be back. It would be different if they weren't getting any run, but freshman don't really transfer just because a team is bad.

Ricky Tarrant and Jonathan Stark both played a TON of minutes with no indication of those numbers dropping the following year, but they didn't stick around. Just sayin'.

There's a player on our team who spent the past two years on national champion high school teams, whose mother was an Olympic-level basketball player, and whose career is being followed online by folks overseas to the point where (supposedly) there are offers to play pro there already. I'm guessing he's very unaccustomed to single-digit win totals. Again - just sayin'. But my comment was more also a commentary on the atmosphere of transferring these days in general. It's not even something that many folks think twice about. If even one little thing is nagging, it always seems like somewhere else is perfect. Maybe some other school's cafeteria is nicer than Bruff, I dunno. The grass is always greener.

Regardless, it's going to take a lot to convince me that a slow talent upgrade along with retaining our current underclassmen will allow this team to even approach .500, much less be competing for conference titles and NCAA berths.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:47 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Ricky Tarrant and Jonathan Stark both played a TON of minutes with no indication of those numbers dropping the following year, but they didn't stick around. Just sayin'.

There's a player on our team who spent the past two years on national champion high school teams, whose mother was an Olympic-level basketball player, and whose career is being followed online by folks overseas to the point where (supposedly) there are offers to play pro there already. I'm guessing he's very unaccustomed to single-digit win totals. Again - just sayin'. But my comment was more also a commentary on the atmosphere of transferring these days in general. It's not even something that many folks think twice about. If even one little thing is nagging, it always seems like somewhere else is perfect. Maybe some other school's cafeteria is nicer than Bruff, I dunno. The grass is always greener.

Regardless, it's going to take a lot to convince me that a slow talent upgrade along with retaining our current underclassmen will allow this team to even approach .500, much less be competing for conference titles and NCAA berths.

Yes, Yes, and yes. To add on to concerns about playing time and greener pastures the kids at this level usually understand that what you surround yourself with means is critical They don't want to be surrounded by a underachievers or play for an underachieving coach. That may seem harsh, but that is what our record and ranking say about the program. I hope for the best, but...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:56 pm 
President's Circle

None of the freshman have that look that they are going through the motions. Crabtree was the first guy off the bench cheering down the stretch even thought he wasn't on the floor. Wood has played very well the last two games and getting more and more minutes. Zhang looked upset that he wasn't on the floor down the stretch last night, but generally looks engaged with his teammates. You never know, but I take those things as positives.

Barrett looks very frustrated and his game has really suffered. Given how bad Cornish has been defensively and his high turnover rate, Barrett should be playing more. I don't care if he is not the scorer Cornish is. At 4-16, if you truly see Barrett as part of the future you play him over the senior.

Sehic could go play in Europe, transfer without sitting out, start his business career or come back. He has a tough decision to make and one he would have faced regardless of our record.

Ona-Embo has been highly disappointing. He had a nice freshman year, forgot that there are two ends of the court last year and has missed all of this year. He tested the waters last year. Who knows what he decides to do this year.

Just my take from somebody that continues to watch every game (with stiffer drinks each time out).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:34 pm 
Cornerstone

“Highly disappointing” is a strange take on ROE, to say the least. He’s not from this country so his testing the waters is not to be considered on the same level as it would be from someone from here. And he can’t be considered disappointing for having bad luck.

This roster is so strangely built that a bit of attrition might be a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:03 pm 
Breaker Level

Someone still believes....

Avron and Wendy Fogelman give another major gift for Tulane’s men’s basketball program

Avron B. Fogelman (A&S ’62) and Wendy Mimeles Fogelman (NC ’63) have given $1 million to support Tulane University men’s basketball, both on and off the court. The gift establishes the Fogelman Life Preparation Program and supports an altitude chamber for the team.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:11 pm 
Navigator Level

"Avron B. Fogelman and Wendy Mimeles Fogelman created a fund to support the greatness of Tulane University men’s basketball"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

washwave wrote:
Someone still believes....

Avron and Wendy Fogelman give another major gift for Tulane’s men’s basketball program

Avron B. Fogelman (A&S ’62) and Wendy Mimeles Fogelman (NC ’63) have given $1 million to support Tulane University men’s basketball, both on and off the court. The gift establishes the Fogelman Life Preparation Program and supports an altitude chamber for the team.

That was like a month ago.

And the funny thing is, from what I've seen of practice, all they do is run, so conditioning isn't a concern to be addressed. I kinda feel like this altitude chamber was "we can't use the money to buy a better team so what gimmick can we get that separates us from competition purely in terms of equipment?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

While you're "just sayin'", could you also let me know how many years Tarrant and Stark played at Tulane? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

And Davis transferred and Osetkowski transferred. But Frazier and Reynolds and Daniels didn't.
What could possibly have changed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

While you're "just sayin'", could you also let me know how many years Tarrant and Stark played at Tulane? Thanks.

So you are basing your comment purely on their freshman status. I took it more from the "not leaving because they are getting good minutes" angle. Sorry if I misinterpreted your specific intent.

So if things go exactly the same next year and they get the same playing time or more, do you think they'd be likely to leave? I'm sure you have stats about what class transfers the most, I'd be curious to see them.

Regardless, and it hurts just to type this, both Tarrant and Stark left a program which was, at the time, outperforming what we're doing now. So it's not really apples and oranges with respect to what class they are... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:29 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

So you are basing your comment purely on their freshman status. I took it more from the "not leaving because they are getting good minutes" angle. Sorry if I misinterpreted your specific intent.

So if things go exactly the same next year and they get the same playing time or more, do you think they'd be likely to leave? I'm sure you have stats about what class transfers the most, I'd be curious to see them.

Regardless, and it hurts just to type this, both Tarrant and Stark left a program which was, at the time, outperforming what we're doing now. So it's not really apples and oranges with respect to what class they are... :oops:

Yes, my point that freshmen that play don't really transfer just because a team is bad was specific to freshmen. If we're equally bad next year, I would not be surprised if one or more leave (as well as some/all of the coaching staff).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
I agree Bay. Were I in NOLA I'd likely have season tix and still be invested. But as is, I'm in the dad-of-young-kids phase of life where I'm spending every night helping with homework and getting them to bed and it hasn't been worth making it a priority to alter things in order to watch (as I did even last year).

As someone who is in NOLA, but also in the 'dad-of-young-kids' phase, between cost and schedule I gave up season tickets a couple years ago. We were on the family pack, so it was more schedule than cost. Weeknight games always fall across bedtime routine, so like you mentioned somewhere else, if I look at the score and it's close I'll watch the second half.

On Friday, I looked into attending the Temple game and tickets were $15. My 4 and 6 year olds require full price tickets now, so it was going to cost $60 to get in the door. (My entire football season ticket package is only $200 or so.) So we decided not to go based on cost. We ended up going anyway because at the baseball fan fest they were offering $5 tickets, which made it much more palatable. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people in the stadium. We're more likely to attend women's games since the kids get in free for being part of the kids club.

An athletics dept employee came and asked questions about having us attend more regularly and we did point out the above. I get that we don't want to just give away seats to a revenue sport, but until the product on court can get 3000 people to the arena every night (at which point I'm probably not bringing kids anyway), there needs to be something to get people in. And I'm not sure where for most people that break in price is or if they just aren't coming anyway. In my case, I'd probably pay $15 if there were a break for kids tickets.