Sat., Oct. 12 UConn *
Sat., Oct. 19 at Memphis *
Sat., Oct. 26 at Navy * (CBSSN)
Sat., Nov. 2 Tulsa *
Sat., Nov. 16 at Temple *
Sat., Nov. 23 UCF *
Sat., Nov. 30 at SMU *

Bye week + between Houston and Army

Full conference composite schedule here: http://theamerican.org/documents/2019/2 ... df?id=3032

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 am 
Cornerstone

And a bye week on 11/9. A long season in the literal sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 am 
Emerald Circle

I wouldn’t rate our chances against Houston very high under any circumstances, but getting them early in the season with a new HC on a short week when we have FCS the week before is about the best spot we could get.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am 
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:
I wouldn’t rate our chances against Houston very high under any circumstances, but getting them early in the season with a new HC on a short week when we have FCS the week before is about the best spot we could get.

Under any circumstances? Who do you think they are? I could understand that more if you were talking about UCF but Houston?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52 am 
Regent's Circle

I remember one schedule a long time ago when teams played 10 (and 9...Big 10 teams) games, that Tulane had their 1st game on September 22nd. Remember thinking "Is football gonna ever start?". I believe it was when Steve Foley was QB. And for my family and I this schedule works out pretty well for us since we like to vacation in early fall. The gap between 9/19 and 10/05 gives us 15 days to work with without missing any games. :-)

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:54 am 
Navigator Level

Good schedule, should be 7 wins there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

TulaneRebel wrote:

Is this the "How many games is Tulane gonna win in '19 Thread"? :roll:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:06 pm 
Cornerstone

Fan Since '54 wrote:
TulaneRebel wrote:

Is this the "How many games is Tulane gonna win in '19 Thread"? :roll:

Fan since '54

It can be the pre-spring ball, the schedule was just released, how many wins are going to have, thread. I'll go out on a limb and say 8 before the bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:13 pm 
Regent's Circle

I like the schedule. No apparent home day games until October at earliest. Chance for early redemption against UH on ESPN for last year's fiasco. We should have great student turnouts for FIU and UH with prospects for good ones against UCF and homecoming (presumably Tulsa.) Plus Thanksgiving game is on road at SMU. Let them take holiday hit with no students and lots of others on the road.

Plus Auburn and Army are both great road trips.

Finally if Tulane does some damage against this schedule it will get (and deservedly so) some national respect.

Good job, TD and Coach Fritz!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm 
President's Circle

2 of 6 home games on week nights. That should be good for attendance. 2 bye weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm 
Cornerstone

And Auburn, though they will be favored by quite a few points vs. us, are not nearly as good as Oklahoma & Ohio St.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:50 pm 
President's Circle

I like the schedule, but again 1/3 of our home games are on Thursdays. The staff and admin better not complain about crowds. I know, I know it sounds like I am just moaning, but you basically eliminated families and a lot of out town folks from a 1/3 of the schedule before the season even starts. I will be there, but my family won't. I won't being buying season tickets for the family this year either because of this. So my ticket number went down.

On the football side of things I think the schedule looks good. If we can go 4-2 to start we have a good shot at 8-9 wins. Progress. Need at least 2 from OOC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:55 pm 
President's Circle

Also of note UCF and Army both get byes before they play us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:28 pm 
President's Circle

We really need to start off by beating. That will set the tone for the whole season IMO. Either we are playing catch up all year, like last year, or we are poised to have a serious breakthrough.

Many here are probably aware, but Tulane has only been to back to back bowls once in 1979-1980. We need to make it happen again to keep moving forward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:39 pm 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
I like the schedule, but again 1/3 of our home games are on Thursdays. The staff and admin better not complain about crowds. I know, I know it sounds like I am just moaning, but you basically eliminated families and a lot of out town folks from a 1/3 of the schedule before the season even starts. I will be there, but my family won't. I won't being buying season tickets for the family this year either because of this. So my ticket number went down.

On the football side of things I think the schedule looks good. If we can go 4-2 to start we have a good shot at 8-9 wins. Progress. Need at least 2 from OOC.

Better get used to Thursday games as long as ESPN controls CFB TV. Everybody will have them, the P5 less so, but really having the first game on Thursday is not a huge deal, I like being early. Give us more practice time.

I like this schedule and think 8-9 wins is doable. Houston at home--where we have beaten them or played them tough. UCF at home--who knows? Auburn not the hill to climb that OSU or OU are and drivable for many alumni to boot. Be anxious to see how we do against Memphis away after putting a beat-down on them last season.

The one game I worry about getting blown out? Army.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:49 pm 
Navigator Level

There are definitely eight wins at least there. Like the second bye because the first one is somewhat early. No one is getting used to the Thursday games and we won’t get the opening game crowd we would get on that Saturday. That’s a shame because I expect us to win and it would help to have more people talking it up. One Thursday game is more than enough. Tulane doesn’t need to add the second one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm 
President's Circle

Army poses an interesting challenge, but I'll say this - they went 11-2 against a very soft schedule last year. Here are their wins:

Liberty
Hawaii
Buffalo
San Jose St.
Miami, OH
Eastern Michigan
Air Force
Lafayette
Colgate
Navy
Houston

They had an amazing season and yes nearly upsetting Oklahoma and beating Houston the way they did are impressive. That said, the S&P+ ratings rank us only six spots behind them precisely because they played a soft schedule and didn't always win convincingly. We really shouldn't look at them as much different than Navy in terms of difficulty. A sure win? Not by any means. Tulane isn't a team that can count on sure wins. But if we're going to have a breakout season we need to beat them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:00 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Army poses an interesting challenge, but I'll say this - they went 11-2 against a very soft schedule last year. Here are their wins:

Liberty
Hawaii
Buffalo
San Jose St.
Miami, OH
Eastern Michigan
Air Force
Lafayette
Colgate
Navy
Houston

They had an amazing season and yes nearly upsetting Oklahoma and beating Houston the way they did are impressive. That said, the S&P+ ratings rank us only six spots behind them precisely because they played a soft schedule and didn't always win convincingly. We really shouldn't look at them as much different than Navy in terms of difficulty. A sure win? Not by any means. Tulane isn't a team that can count on sure wins. But if we're going to have a breakout season we need to beat them.

Beating Navy is much more important to us than Army. But we always seem to struggle against Navy, but the last two years have played them tight. I just don't see us putting the focus on Army like we would Navy, but I've been wrong before. The triple option teams seem to give better teams fits, while Fritz seems to know how to limit them. Key losses on the DL and at LB is what give me pause about this game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:14 pm 
Cornerstone

What key losses up front? Everyone is back and should be a year better. I think Davon Wright is going to explode. At linebacker we’re already well on the way to filling in for Zach Harris.

We’ve played Navy tight every year Fritz has been here and came close to that versus a really good Navy team in CJ’s last year. That was the game that featured the play that should cure any sane Tulane fan of Tanner Lee nostalgia.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
What key losses up front? Everyone is back and should be a year better. I think Davon Wright is going to explode. At linebacker we’re already well on the way to filling in for Zach Harris.

Robert Kennedy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:22 pm 
Cornerstone

That’s it. Just him. I think Wright next year will be better than Kennedy ever was, no offense to him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:24 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:

I was thinking of Kennedy and Harris. Kennedy's loss will affect depth, and filling Harris' role is undetermined, yet promising. Not saying it's impossible to replace them, but we lose experience and the replacement is unknown. BTW, I love Johnson and Sample in the middle, but we'll need depth, especially in the early heat. Hope you're right about Wright.

Funny line about the Tanner Lee nostalgia.

Last edited by Rotorooter on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:25 pm 
Emerald Circle

Winter storm warning in effect November 30th....chance for blizzard conditions

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

We should also have that big DT from DeLaSalle (whose name escapes me) they called a disruptor on Defense (I love that) in high school who we redshirted last year. I honestly think we'll be fine on the DL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:29 pm 
Cornerstone

Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:

I was thinking of Kennedy and Harris. Kennedy's loss will affect depth, and filling Harris' role is undetermined, yet promising. Not saying it's impossible to replace them, but we lose experience and the replacement is unknown. BTW, I love Johnson and Sample in the middle, but we'll need depth, especially in the early heat.

Johnson, Williams (started more games than Kennedy), Wright, Thomas, Jamiran James coming off a redshirt, Sample, a few squad guys and two possible true freshmen. We are more experienced going into this season than any year since the loaded 2013 DL.

Same for LB. We return our #3 and 4 tacklers, who combined for 12 starts and have added a JUCO who’s here now. Maybe we’ll suck but no one can say the replacements are unknown.