Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:17 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 9997
Location: Metairie
Just to be on the optimistic side:

32-24

Latham will help.

Experience and/or talent upgrade at every position, save cf, will help.

_________________
[i]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2753
GreenieBacker wrote:
speaking of Latham don't know if this has been posted elsewhere. Good article on a key player

New pitching coach Daniel Latham hopes to steady Tulane staff

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 36c4c.html

“What we think is going to be our weekend rotation (Kaleb Roper, Keagan Gillies, Chase Solesky) and our top two bullpen arms are as good as anybody in our league or better,” Latham said. “I’m working hard to develop some depth behind those guys. The key to our season is staying healthy with our top-end guys and having four or five more guys emerge as key contributors.”


I think we'd all be in agreement in the assumption that Pellerin is one of those top 2 bullpen arms. Any idea who the second one is?


Big question is how many wins do we need to get into a Regional. We had 34 going into the BR Regional in 2015 and just barely made it in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 am
Posts: 135
Does Jewett keep his job with a break even season?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3287
I think Jewett retains the job no matter what provided he doesn’t have a MD season (which he won’t).

The other bullpen arm I am presuming he is talking about is Trent Johnson. If Trent starts midweek games, then perhaps Cellucci. Regardless, every arm on the team will have an opportunity to prove themself.

Number of wins to get into a regional depends on team RPI, League RPI, how you are playing down the stretch, and some politics if you are one of the last four in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2753
tjtlja wrote:
I think Jewett retains the job no matter what provided he doesn’t have a MD season (which he won’t).

The other bullpen arm I am presuming he is talking about is Trent Johnson. If Trent starts midweek games, then perhaps Cellucci. Regardless, every arm on the team will have an opportunity to prove themself.

Number of wins to get into a regional depends on team RPI, League RPI, how you are playing down the stretch, and some politics if you are one of the last four in.


I tend to agree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:49 am 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 529
Article on Daniel Latham in NOLA.com

Daniel Latham once put Tulane in a College World Series. Can he do it again?

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/02/dan ... again.html

edited by GB: please don't post copyrighted material it could get us in trouble. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm
Posts: 294
For those interested, Dave joined FTWCast this week and did a thorough breakdown of what he's seen in practice for our Tulane Baseball Preview:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/s ... e-browning

_________________
- Twitter: @fearthewaveblog
- Fear the WaveCast Streaming
- The Perfect Wave: Audio Documentary on 1998


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:35 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 30345
Location: Chattanooga, TN
In before Roller says 56-0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:51 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2723
34-22, Regional 3 seed.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm 
Offline
Junior

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm
Posts: 15
32-24 - better than last year by a good bit but left out of regional. Finish 5th in conference behind ECU, Houston, UConn and UCF. Roper, Hoese, Ty Johnson and Pellerin receive conference awards. I think we take a step in the right direction but not quite good enough to make a regional - I hope I'm wrong.

Projected Starters:
P - (Weekend) Roper, Gilles, Solesky; (Mid-week) Bates and Celluci (he will be a pen guy as well); (Closer) Pellerin with Trent Johnson as a setup guy. We will see a ton of Campbell, Price and Green as well.
1B - Jensen (Bedgood backup)
2b - Artiques
SS - Gozzo (Burns or Hoese)
3b - Hoese (Bedgood)
DH - (LH)Bedgood; Glancy; (RH)Sepcich; Power; Niemann
LF - Matthews (Sepcich\Haskins)
CF - K. Owen if healthy (Ty Johnson)
RF - Ty Johnson (Sepcich)
C - A. Owen (McKeithen will have plenty of chances)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 21106
Location: Chicago
Is the game on TV?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2753
If by TV you mean all-access, then yes. If you mean actual TV, it’s a college baseball game between Tulane and George Washington, of course it’s not on TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:27 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3287
Why were some of the post removed? There were no rules broken. Just someone being called out for being a donkey. That should be allowed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 529
Wavefam985 wrote:
32-24 - better than last year by a good bit but left out of regional. Finish 5th in conference behind ECU, Houston, UConn and UCF. Roper, Hoese, Ty Johnson and Pellerin receive conference awards. I think we take a step in the right direction but not quite good enough to make a regional - I hope I'm wrong.

Projected Starters:
P - (Weekend) Roper, Gilles, Solesky; (Mid-week) Bates and Celluci (he will be a pen guy as well); (Closer) Pellerin with Trent Johnson as a setup guy. We will see a ton of Campbell, Price and Green as well.
1B - Jensen (Bedgood backup)
2b - Artiques
SS - Gozzo (Burns or Hoese)
3b - Hoese (Bedgood)
DH - (LH)Bedgood; Glancy; (RH)Sepcich; Power; Niemann
LF - Matthews (Sepcich\Haskins)
CF - K. Owen if healthy (Ty Johnson)
RF - Ty Johnson (Sepcich)
C - A. Owen (McKeithen will have plenty of chances)

I see Groff backup at 3B
Haskin backup in CF but could be starter sooner then latter
Mckeithan could be starter behind the plate early on
Power backup at 2B
The outfield will be different every day


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21344
Location: North Kenner
Kody Hoese was named the #13 3rd baseman by DI Baseball. I think most knew he was an upgrade at that position. Now for a few more like him at other spots.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2753
waverider wrote:
Kody Hoese was named the #13 3rd baseman by DI Baseball. I think most knew he was an upgrade at that position. Now for a few more like him at other spots.


IIRC in 2017 the entire infield made the top 30 or 50(whatever D1 Baseball did that year) at their position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 15051
Advocate: Tulane baseball notebook: How the Green Wave's solid hitting could redeem pitching woes

_________________
“We want to win at everything”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21344
Location: North Kenner
visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
Kody Hoese was named the #13 3rd baseman by DI Baseball. I think most knew he was an upgrade at that position. Now for a few more like him at other spots.


IIRC in 2017 the entire infield made the top 30 or 50(whatever D1 Baseball did that year) at their position.

I think you are right about that. Infield defense has mostly been good. A good center fielder and improved pitching is what we need.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2753
I’m not as high on the defense as everyone else seems to be. SS and catcher are the most important positions on defense and I just seem to remember a lot of passed balls last year and we didn’t do a good job against the stolen base attempts. In 2017 we had Montalbano catch for a couple weeks and then we had a not totally healthy Paul Gozzo and Artigues who had never caught before. Somehow we allowed fewer stolen bases and a lower % of successful attempts with that group than we allowed last season. I guess the defense at SS is adequate, it’s hard to judge really but I don’t think I’d classify it as anything better than average.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 31526
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
FW wrote:
In before Roller says 56-0
Well, we haven't lost a game yet.
Just keep winning is all it takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:27 pm
Posts: 2965
Location: Nashville
B-ball Twitter released the weekend starters - Roper, Gillies and Solesky as expected.

LEGOOOOO


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21344
Location: North Kenner
That’s a really good starting 3. The big question is if they have to go 7+ if we want to win.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4508
There is very little talk about the freshman or the junior college transfer pitcher here or in any articles I have read. TJ mentioned 3 freshman potentially having roles in one of the articles. I don’t think any were pitchers. Is this because the older guys have really played well leading up to the season or is this going to be a really disappointing freshman class? Given how bad the bullpen was last year, I assumed there would be opportunities for some new faces to shine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 15051
TP: Tulane ‘more layered’ in field, but how much will pitching improve?

_________________
“We want to win at everything”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:37 am 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 529
NJwave wrote:
There is very little talk about the freshman or the junior college transfer pitcher here or in any articles I have read. TJ mentioned 3 freshman potentially having roles in one of the articles. I don’t think any were pitchers. Is this because the older guys have really played well leading up to the season or is this going to be a really disappointing freshman class? Given how bad the bullpen was last year, I assumed there would be opportunities for some new faces to shine.

JUCO transfer C J Whelan will probably be used as middle relief
True freshmen Landon Boeneke and Grant Segar will not see much action this year and may end up being redshirted. Just too much depth and experience in front of them and they have not wowed during fall. They had ups and downs in fall. However it’s a long season and injuries happen forcing freshmen to step up


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group