Men's Hoops: Tulsa 80 - Tulane 57

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Men's Hoops: Tulsa 80 - Tulane 57

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

Tulsa has their largest margin of victory for the season and Tulane moves to 0-11 in the AAC.

Waiting for Coach D to give details on how altiTUde impacted the team tonight.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Re: Men's Hoops: Tulsa 80 - Tulane 57

Unread post by angrywavedad »

I’ve been giving my son a hard time about not going to games. I owe him an apology.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

As I posted in another thread (in which Pete informed me we actually have a height advantage at some positions):
After watching the first half I have concluded our problems are more talent related than coaching. We miss a lot of open shots, are in position on defense only to give up easy points and we have nobody that can handle the basketball.

By talent, I am talking more than skill. We are short, small, slow and less athletic than the teams we face. Aside from Daniels we have no basketball players with any experience. I’m starting to think it wasn’t Conroy’s doing behind the ugly shooting and poor ball handling.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

We are 4-19 for several reasons, talent being the main culprit. And this talent is the result of MD’s recruiting. Conroy was better in every area. We are the worst team in the NCAA.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Dannen said that the team is a lot better than they were at the beginning of the season. I’m not seeing it.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The biggest paragraph in the Dannen 100% endorsement was the team GPA. Was the letter penned by RD. Conroy was a better coach and better recruiter. What is going on with men’s basketball is a travesty.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Team shot 27% against a relentless zone. Interestingly Tulsa also substantially outrebounded Tulane which we are told is not supposed to happen if you play zone defense. Meanwhile one time a Tulane player tried to take an offensive foul unsuccessfully. Tulsa repeatedly tried to take charges, two or three times successfully.

Nothing redeeming about tonight. Nothing.

Top ten Houston comes in Sunday. Melvin bobblehead giveaway and he will be in attendance.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:We are 4-19 for several reasons, talent being the main culprit. And this talent is the result of MD’s recruiting. Conroy was better in every area. We are the worst team in the NCAA.
This isn't aimed at you but I have said from the beginning we don't have much talent. People scoffed. Now they realize it is the case. That's not to say that the coaching isn't bad. it is horrific. Terrible combination. In college we all know that lack of talent is on the coach.
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:We are 4-19 for several reasons, talent being the main culprit. And this talent is the result of MD’s recruiting. Conroy was better in every area. We are the worst team in the NCAA.
This isn't aimed at you but I have said from the beginning we don't have much talent. People scoffed. Now they realize it is the case. That's not to say that the coaching isn't bad. it is horrific. Terrible combination. In college we all know that lack of talent is on the coach.
Yep, that’s what I was saying in the preseason. We lost our 2 best players from last season and for some reason some folks thought we’d be better this year. I just knew that didn’t add up.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

It is baseball season

Let us hope for a good one.

MD better hit that recruiting trail. How is his son the coach doing? Maybe he should come help us
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

who would've thought that there's a good chance the football team ends up with more wins than the men's basketball team
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
washwave
Breaker Level

Unread post by washwave »

Only 2 of the 11 conference losses have really even been close (ECU and Memphis). It would seem that the only real chance for a conference win will be the ECU game at home
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Yankeewave wrote:It is baseball season

Let us hope for a good one.

MD better hit that recruiting trail. How is his son the coach doing? Maybe he should come help us
13-10 this year after 12-21 last.
Victory is never permanent
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

The team's lack of a PG is the real issue. MD cannot be excused for this problem. He let Slater go and Ona Embo's situation requires an explanation. Dunleavy has some influential friends at Tulane and for that he'll get another year. But really, as for building a program, I see no tangible evidence that that is happening. Getting top recruits is not evidence of building a program if you cannot pull off a better season than this one. At some point, accountability has to step in. Dannen has been hired to make those tough decisions. He probably will have to make one next season.

There may be an outside chance that Dunleavy will realize his shortcomings and may resign. I wouldn't count on it, but there is that possibility, especially with age being a factor.
Plan your work, work your plan.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

Over the past 13 years (since 2006), Mike Dunleavy Sr. coached teams have a 33.4% win percentage and Mike has failed to lead any team to a winning record for their entire season.

We need to stop paying for failed rent-a-wins like Towson and Alabama A&M and instead go on the road and collect checks - so that we can afford to hire assistant coaches that know a winning culture since Mike Dunleavy Sr. hasn't been associated with a winning team since the current freshmen were 4 years old.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

washwave wrote:Only 2 of the 11 conference losses have really even been close (ECU and Memphis). It would seem that the only real chance for a conference win will be the ECU game at home
If we don't shoot better than 27% from the field, we won't beat anyone.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:Team shot 27% against a relentless zone. Interestingly Tulsa also substantially outrebounded Tulane which we are told is not supposed to happen if you play zone defense.
It's not interesting...that's what happens when you shoot 27%.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

angrywavedad wrote:I’ve been giving my son a hard time about not going to games. I owe him an apology.
:lol: :lol:
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent