Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am 
Navigator Level

What he needs to realize is that Pellerin isn't a closer. He should have reversed the roles by bringing in Pellerin first and then Johnson. Pellerin doesn't have the mindset to be a closer. Johnson does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
I am not sure how people can complain. according to warren nola, our SOS is currently 28. the American looks solid this year. this is a nicely balance schedule. i don't think we wanted a killer tourney the weekend after a top ten team. plus, we were lousy last year, so we had to be somewhat conservative.

Baywave assured us that our SOS would be better this year than last. Maybe that's why people are confused.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:42 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
What he needs to realize is that Pellerin isn't a closer. He should have reversed the roles by bringing in Pellerin first and then Johnson. Pellerin doesn't have the mindset to be a closer. Johnson does.

Based on what? I don’t recall Johnson ever being used in a save situation.

I also kind of think “closer mentality” is overblown. If you can get outs in the 7th and 8th you can get them in the 9th.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:43 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:
I am not sure how people can complain. according to warren nola, our SOS is currently 28. the American looks solid this year. this is a nicely balance schedule. i don't think we wanted a killer tourney the weekend after a top ten team. plus, we were lousy last year, so we had to be somewhat conservative.

Baywave assured us that our SOS would be better this year than last. Maybe that's why people are confused.

Not sure how anyone could have thought that would be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I also kind of think “closer mentality” is overblown. If you can get outs in the 7th and 8th you can get them in the 9th.

Based on Pellerin's performance so far. You may believe that about it not being different but at every level coaches find a closer and stick with it. Attitude is a big part of it. Pellerin looks timid in those situations. Johnson looks like a bulldog when he comes out to pitch which is why if he isn't going to be a starter for us I'd like to see him given a shot at being the closer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 pm 
President's Circle

Closers do have a different mentality, especially when inheriting base runners. The great ones have ice water in their veins. Look no further than the best in MLB. If the bases are loaded with no outs in a one run game, would you rather Mariano Rivera or some guy that can get three outs in the 7th inning?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Based on Pellerin's performance so far. You may believe that about it not being different but at every level coaches find a closer and stick with it. Attitude is a big part of it. Pellerin looks timid in those situations. Johnson looks like a bulldog when he comes out to pitch which is why if he isn't going to be a starter for us I'd like to see him given a shot at being the closer.

Pellerin has not done well so far and a change at the closer role may be necessary, but I think it’s off base to say that he’s timid or doesn’t have the mentality to be a closer. He had some success in that role last year.
If Pellerin is timid, he’s not going to be successful in any meaningful role.

Coaches find a closer and stick with it at every level not because there’s a “closer mentality” but because the closer is usually just your best reliever and because guys like to have defined roles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:40 pm 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
because guys like to have defined roles.

Sounds like a mentality to me! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 am 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

No, not really.
Wanting to know what your job is =/= only being able to perform a particular job

What’s going to be the story if Pellerin turns it around as the closer?
A.He developed the closer mentality
B. He always had it
C. It never really existed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:28 am 
Navigator Level

gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Exactly. He'll never admit he's wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:41 am 
President's Circle

I can’t name a single college pitcher who was good in other roles but couldn’t get the job done as a closer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:36 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Exactly. He'll never admit he's wrong.

Impossible to prove or disprove something as vague and subjective as “closer mentality” so obviously nobody will be admitting that they are wrong in this discussion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 pm 
Junior

I rather enjoy reading everyone's take on Tulane's teams, especially baseball. But some of the opinions expressed causes me to shake my head. I'm still shaking my head after reading the Pellerin does not have a "closer mentality" - after 6 innings of work in the closer role. Silly stuff for sure. What is a closer mentality? Please don't tell me its the animated, in your face guy. Rivera and Trevor Hoffman were perpetual flat-liners who just got it done. Kenley Jensen seems to do just fine as well. Different approaches here.

This forum is filled with optimism that Danny will be able to help our staff pitch better. With the exception of Raj (an early surprise) and Wheelan, the staff as being utilized is essentially the same as last year. Danny was a closer; statistically, Danny was the best closer Tulane has ever had. He certainly seems to believe that Pellerin can be the team's closer - I think he would know if Pellerin didn't have the "closer mentality" - forget for a moment that he's touching 96-97 on the gun. Pelle will grow into his role and be an asset to our staff; his stuff is very good.

Team is off to a good start and will be fun to follow. This weekend series will also be a good test. We need to go at least 3-1 this week to keep the momentum.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:13 pm 
Navigator Level

Nothing silly at all. If you don't get it that's on you. This is an important season for the program. Most if not all of us believe in DL. However TJ has made comments that indicate that ultimately he is making the decisions and overrides Latham sometimes. We can only hope that he realizes he needs to let Latham handle the decisions regarding the staff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 pm 
President's Circle

Wavefam985 wrote:
What is a closer mentality?

Good question.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:18 am 
President's Circle

Even Mariano Rivera blew saves now and again. It sucks to lose that way but you cant take a whole lot away from 1 game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Closers do have a different mentality, especially when inheriting base runners. The great ones have ice water in their veins. Look no further than the best in MLB. If the bases are loaded with no outs in a one run game, would you rather Mariano Rivera or some guy that can get three outs in the 7th inning?

College is a little more fluid, but in MLB closers almost never inherit base runners. They come on in the 9th with a clean slate and the task of coming in with the bases loaded and no outs is left to the...7th inning guy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

Not sure how anyone could have thought that would be the case.

/shrugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:04 pm 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
I can’t name a single college pitcher who was good in other roles but couldn’t get the job done as a closer

I can think of one of our own. Corey Merrill, one of the greatest kids you will meet (and good luck as you begin your career with the Dodgers), looked much more comfortable as a starter than a closer.

They have “closers” for a reason.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:18 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

College is a little more fluid, but in MLB closers almost never inherit base runners. They come on in the 9th with a clean slate and the task of coming in with the bases loaded and no outs is left to the...7th inning guy.

Fair enough. But how many college closers come in when the game is tied.

Bottom line, closing is a “position”. You want a guy that is a bulldog, throws strikes, has an out pitch (a hammer), and can throw with little rest. No different than wanting a catcher who frames well, has soft hands, is tough, can block, has a pop time of 1.9 or lower, and works well with the staff. Or a CF that runs the 60 in the 6.6 range, gets great jumps on the ball, above average arm, and is a take charge type of guy. Each position is defined by certain characteristics that a coach wants, including a closer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:45 pm 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Fair enough. But how many college closers come in when the game is tied.

Bottom line, closing is a “position”. You want a guy that is a bulldog, throws strikes, has an out pitch (a hammer), and can throw with little rest. No different than wanting a catcher who frames well, has soft hands, is tough, can block, has a pop time of 1.9 or lower, and works well with the staff. Or a CF that runs the 60 in the 6.6 range, gets great jumps on the ball, above average arm, and is a take charge type of guy. Each position is defined by certain characteristics that a coach wants, including a closer.

Well I would hope the closer comes in when it's a tie game and we are the home team, every time.
And I think there has been at least a little movement at the major league level to have your best relief pitcher for use in the highest leverage situation. Now a lot of times that ends up being the 9th by default since that's all that's left. But if Johnson is better than Pellerin, maybe he's the one we want available for a 7th inning jam with Pellerin to pitch the traditional closer role. He can be our Andrew Miller to Pellerin's Cody Allen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:18 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

I can think of one of our own. Corey Merrill, one of the greatest kids you will meet (and good luck as you begin your career with the Dodgers), looked much more comfortable as a starter than a closer.

I think the numbers show that Merrill was just as good in the closer role.
He had his best career ERA and best K/9 in the year that he made most of his appearances out of the bullpen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:22 pm 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

I think the numbers show that Merrill was just as good in the closer role.
He had his best career ERA and best K/9 in the year that he made most of his appearances out of the bullpen

Look, you can't quantify "mentality" and "comfortable". You just know it when you see it. Only baseball lifers are qualified to judge such ethereal concepts.
#bowdown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

Root for ole miss or ecu? I say pirates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 pm 
Regent's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
Root for ole miss or ecu? I say pirates

Pirates > Landsharks

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next