Will Hall (A Football Junkie) Article

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Will Hall (A Football Junkie) Article

Post by Wavery »

sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Will Hall (A Football Junkie) Article

Post by sr »

He was also undefeated in 1998 - good read. Kinda looking forward to the offense in Spring ball.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Lot of option in his DNA. Obviously we need to develop and broaden the passing game but we need to keep running the ball. We have capable runners at QB and a deep group of runners (we have three returning backs who combined for 1,282 yards aside from returning thousand yard man Bradwell) and a promising defense. In the absence of a proven accurate passing threat these are our strengths to build from this year. If we do develop a 60% completion passing attack this year (don’t expect it) look out.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

One thing I got from the article is that he likes to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly. That Hall is 5'8" is that he understands that waiting for a "short" QB poses problems. Reading between the lines, it appears that we will be throwing more short passes next season. While 60% is a big stretch in the opinion of LG (I agree that we have to see it to believe it), I do believe that we will see those quick passes that will dramatically increase completion % and average yards per attempt--the holy grail stat of an efficient passing attack.

I hope this guy is as good as his press clippings.
Plan your work, work your plan.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

A lot to like on paper. I just hope he isn’t involved in run game prep :wink:

60% completion isn’t all that difficult. Look at those Houston and Memphis QBs that had over 60% completions but rarely threw the ball more than 8 yards down field.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I base my thinking on 60% being a tough mark on watching McMillan.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The whole "uptempo" thing was discussed when he arrived and they tried a bit of it in practice before the bowl game. I recall reading a story about it and it wasn't hard to read between the lines that we were woefully bad at it, and hence they were not going to try it in the bowl. It may have even been as blunt as to say "this is gonna take a lot of practice to successfully implement, " or some such.

I have no problem with passes being short, as long as McMillan can dial back the fastball. His few attempts at short slants this past year were bad. But as we've seen, as long as the run threat is still there and being respected, all it takes is getting a guy one-on-one with a defender behind the linebackers and many times it's off to the races. That could be as short as an 8 yard toss if we really catch the dbs cheating on the run.... We'll just have a heck of a YAC average.

As a side note, this is where I really expect to see McCleskey shine; not on 60 yard rainbow bombs, but on catching a 12 yard post or slant and taking it the remaining 48 yards to the house untouched.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Actually what was said was that he wouldn't do any play calling. As for tempo WF talked about how he wasn't a fan of it but that Hall made him realize how simple it was to implement . Players after the game talked about how we did use tempo at times in the Bowl game.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:Actually what was said was that he wouldn't do any play calling. As for tempo WF talked about how he wasn't a fan of it but that Hall made him realize how simple it was to implement . Players after the game talked about how we did use tempo at times in the Bowl game.
Somewhere, someone in a story mentioned that fully implementing Hall's uptempo scheme would take time and it was too much to learn for the bowl. Obviously it's just my memory and I'm not going to try to look it up, but I didn't dream it up out of the blue. I do recall someone afterwards saying they'd hurried a bit here or there, but that it was just a fraction of what Hall fully wants to do.

But I know you've never been wrong so I won't argue, I'm sure you are right and I must have been reading the TP or Advocate in a dream. My bad.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:Actually what was said was that he wouldn't do any play calling. As for tempo WF talked about how he wasn't a fan of it but that Hall made him realize how simple it was to implement . Players after the game talked about how we did use tempo at times in the Bowl game.
Somewhere, someone in a story mentioned that fully implementing Hall's uptempo scheme would take time and it was too much to learn for the bowl. Obviously it's just my memory and I'm not going to try to look it up, but I didn't dream it up out of the blue. I do recall someone afterwards saying they'd hurried a bit here or there, but that it was just a fraction of what Hall fully wants to do.

But I know you've never been wrong so I won't argue, I'm sure you are right and I must have been reading the TP or Advocate in a dream. My bad.
Actually, Pete, I believe you two are in violent agreement here.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:

Well actually it's you who never admits he's wrong. I never said we fully implemented it. Willie admitted he never thought of it but Hall showed him how easy it was to install.
We deserve so much better