Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UCSB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 pm 
President's Circle

This year's squad has as much chance of getting into a regional as I have of getting an album on the pop charts this year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

We have hit 6 batters and only have 7 hits by our batters through 8 in game 3. I guess the motto still applies “Tulane pitching. We won’t beat you but we’ll leave you bruised.”

UCSB first 4 runs scored without getting a hit.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:37 pm 
President's Circle

A lot worse than the Ole Miss series. That was a tough, hard fought series and even though we lost you were encouraged.
This weekend we were outclassed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:04 pm 
President's Circle

This series was worst than the series at UCSB.

We looked like Boston Terriers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:09 pm 
Coach Level

Pitching is killing us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 pm 
President's Circle

Anyone know why Pellerin did not throw one pitch this weekend?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:37 pm 
President's Circle

Probably should have brought him in after Cellucci in the 7th

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 am 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Anyone know why Pellerin did not throw one pitch this weekend?

Lack of bulldog, probably.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:25 pm 
Navigator Level

No doubt an extremely disappointing weekend. We'll know right quick if this is a sign of things to come or if it was just a glitch. Hoping for the glitch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm 
Riptide Level

Whom do you think will start Tuesday night?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm 
President's Circle

Krishna Raj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:40 pm 
Regent's Circle

randymc wrote:
Krishna Raj

Correct.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:44 pm 
Navigator Level

wavedom wrote:
No doubt an extremely disappointing weekend. We'll know right quick if this is a sign of things to come or if it was just a glitch. Hoping for the glitch.

I don't think it's a glitch. There's been signs of this since the first weekend when we couldn't hold a lead; not to mention all of the 2 out walks! I just didn't think it was THIS bad.

I would think Raj will have to be a weekend starter as he seems to have what it takes. Saturday or Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:59 pm 
Navigator Level

Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I don't think it's a glitch. There's been signs of this since the first weekend when we couldn't hold a lead; not to mention all of the 2 out walks! I just didn't think it was THIS bad.

I would think Raj will have to be a weekend starter as he seems to have what it takes. Saturday or Sunday.

I agree that there have been signs all along. So like you I'm afraid it's not just a glitch. May they prove us wrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:

Not sure how quickly we’ll know. We don’t play another good team for a while

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:50 pm 
President's Circle

Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:

If things continue like they’re going now, Raj and Bates should get a shot in the weekend rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

I checked out SELA’s pitching stats from last year again recently and where they ranked nationally. Latham did an excellent job. I’m going to post them once I find them again. So it shows you it’s not just coaching, same coach with excellent numbers switches teams and numbers are better for sure but not where we need them.

I was watching a recent Michael Lewis and Mike Leach interview and Leach said the biggest thing he looks for in a QB is something that is very hard to coach - accuracy. He said he wanted the kid who could hit the stop sign with a snowball when he’s in 8th grade, or something like that.

The same must hold in pitching, teaching accuracy is very hard to do. You either have or you don’t and it’s something that has to be fixed in recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:13 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

The control issues have nothing to do with the quality of opponent. So we'll know pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:14 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:

If things continue like they’re going now, Raj and Bates should get a shot in the weekend rotation

Raj yes. As to Bates he has been having severe control issues. So no to him for now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm 
President's Circle

I still think our weekend guys will come through. However, I am concerned that the walks, hit batters, and wild pitches continue to multiply. A two year trend is difficult for any coach to improve. You can either throw strikes or you can’t. When Jeremy pitched those 10 innings three years ago, he had not pitched since high school. His off speed stuff was not good, but he could always throw strikes and he didn’t walk anyone. What I don’t understand is why would you recruit guys who have questionable control. Find kids who pound the strike zone. Perhaps Segar and Boeneke can help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

The control issues have nothing to do with the quality of opponent. So we'll know pretty quickly.

That’s true, but it’s less obvious against inferior teams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:54 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Raj yes. As to Bates he has been having severe control issues. So no to him for now.

They all have issues. Pick your poison.

I’ll take Bates and his control issues over Gillies giving up nearly 2 hits per inning right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Actually it's not. Walks are walks and hit batters are hit batters. If anything it's worse because you really should be challenging those inferior hitters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:

They all have issues. Pick your poison.

I’ll take Bates and his control issues over Gillies giving up nearly 2 hits per inning right now.

I'd pick Trent Johnson. At this point we'd get nowhere with Gillies or Bates. Whelan is a possibility too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:44 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Actually it's not. Walks are walks and hit batters are hit batters. If anything it's worse because you really should be challenging those inferior hitters.

Better teams will draw more walks, not really a debate about that.