Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Women's Hoop Season Over
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

1 and done in the conference tournament. Last place regular season. Season started off with some promise but utterly cratered.

I hate to say it, but change is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

Major changes are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

Very Tough for mens & ladies programs this year !!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 am 
President's Circle

IF MD is safe, no way should Lisa get fired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:47 am 
Emerald Circle

Two distinct and different situations. You don't not correct one just because the other situation may be worse. (emphasis on "may").

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
Two distinct and different situations. You don't not correct one just because the other situation may be worse. (emphasis on "may").

The men's mess needs to be corrected before the women's. Not saying it might not be time with WBB, but it's not priority one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GSx wrote:

The men's mess needs to be corrected before the women's. Not saying it might not be time with WBB, but it's not priority one.

They can do both. And if they choose not to address the men's situation, they should still address the women's situation (although really it should be self-addressed) After making the NCAAs in the first 9 seasons, there have been 2 in the last 16 seasons.
There are some objective issues in the women's program such as choosing to go with a 13 player roster instead of the allowed 15. That and a few other mostly recruiting-related issues leading to a long-term decline are why the women's debacle riles me up...they do things like that that create challenges when they aren't there.
And there are 2 other programs that may need action as well, but we'll wait until the season ends.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 am 
President's Circle

When's the last time women's basketball had a winning season?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:35 pm 
President's Circle

two years ago

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:46 pm 
President's Circle

Other than the loss to UCONN, what seemed to cause this season's implosion?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:55 pm 
Regent's Circle

Realistically not related, but it seems that whenever they started the 500 career wins.

It is a coincidence, but I have no idea what happened, to turn this season the wrong way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 pm 
Navigator Level

The coaching staff needs a major shakeup! Stockton has mailed it in far too long.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:40 pm 
President's Circle

DIdn't use Meredith enough. Need to let your Sr play more, especially since she was a starter the last few years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:56 am 
Emerald Circle

JDTulane wrote:

That was the game that started the tanking. Not sure if it's coincidence or what, but Stockton never embraced the opportunity of being in a league with U Conn and rarely played them tough (with one exception).
The 500 wins was like a coronation.
I can't get past not filling scholarships by design and a few other recruiting issues.
She got her 25 years and 500 wins. She should take care of this, and not make Tulane do it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:47 am 
Regent's Circle

GSx wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

That was the game that started the tanking. Not sure if it's coincidence or what, but Stockton never embraced the opportunity of being in a league with U Conn and rarely played them tough (with one exception).
The 500 wins was like a coronation.
I can't get past not filling scholarships by design and a few other recruiting issues.
She got her 25 years and 500 wins. She should take care of this, and not make Tulane do it.

Agree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
...Stockton never embraced the opportunity of being in a league with U Conn...

I ran into her in Wilson right after we joined the AAC (having not played a season in the league yet) and she basically said that while she knew they'd never compete with UConn any time soon, she was very excited for the team to get the experience to play against them and that it would be a huge boost in recruiting, which she'd already seen in their commitments at that point (I don't know who those commitments were but I think they either never played and left the program, or didn't pan out as expected).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:16 am 
Emerald Circle

I won’t quibble with most of what gsx said, but I’ll second Pete..... I spoke with CLS year one in the AAC and her number one talking point was how great it was to be in UConn’s conference and how it could elevate our level of play and ability to recruit. She very much seemed to be embracing it. I'd almost describe it as open excitement. It just never came to fruition.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:40 am 
Emerald Circle

She's publicly said that as well.
But she has also publicly advocated reduction of schollies to 13, which would certainly hurt U Conn and should hurt us if we would use the U Conn affiliation to full advantage. She may be right about that in a "good for the game" sense, although it's at 15 because of Title IX reasons. That said, we should be a stockpiler. We do the opposite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 am 
Emerald Circle

I have no problem with her advocating a cap at 13 for the good of the game, and don't see it as negating being excited about being in the same conference at Uconn.

I do have problems with choosing to self-cap at 13 when others play with 15.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:27 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
I won’t quibble with most of what gsx said, but I’ll second Pete..... I spoke with CLS year one in the AAC and her number one talking point was how great it was to be in UConn’s conference and how it could elevate our level of play and ability to recruit. She very much seemed to be embracing it. I'd almost describe it as open excitement. It just never came to fruition.

Yeah, everyone's excited until you start getting drubbed by 40+ points.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Honestly, I don't think anyone cares about that. You take the beating and move on. UConn has beaten top 10 teams by 30+ many times in the past, it's not like it's a huge stain.

It's just still mystifying to me how the recruiting has seemingly not improved just by being in this conference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Honestly, I don't think anyone cares about that. You take the beating and move on. UConn has beaten top 10 teams by 30+ many times in the past, it's not like it's a huge stain.

It's just still mystifying to me how the recruiting has seemingly not improved just by being in this conference.

I agree there's no shame in it, but I'm also sure it's frustrating for the coaching staff and could explain the difference in attitude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 pm 
President's Circle

Wonder if Lisa is using those 2 scholarships for the white priviledged liberal kids that want to get into Tulane but don't have the grades. :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wavemania wrote:
Wonder if Lisa is using those 2 scholarships for the white priviledged liberal kids that want to get into Tulane but don't have the grades. :mrgreen: :lol:

Maybe they can at least spell privileged. Why are they liberal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

Maybe they can at least spell privileged. Why are they liberal?

Hollywood?