Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tulane spring football
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 am 
Emerald Circle

Dominant D-line, unsettled O-line the keys to success

Last edited by OGSB on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:43 am 
Regent's Circle

It's a good analysis but "unsettled" part, I'd almost extend to entire offense. I'm really interested in seeing what a full functioning Fritz (Hall) offense could produce. That means besides the line, developing depth at TE and WR and QBs need to stay healthy, all to complement outstanding RB corps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 am 
Emerald Circle

If the (OL) linemen come even close to holding their own against the defensive front by the April 13 spring game, the Wave will be in good shape.

I think Guerry nailed it there, that should be something to key on. If our newish OL is holding its own we can probably relax a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am 
Regent's Circle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am 
Emerald Circle

Spring Football can't get here soon enough........

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:57 am 
Regent's Circle

Coach Hall arriving at practice --

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/1105495114808467457?s=20

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 pm 
Cornerstone

He describes TE as inexperienced but both of the top two guys played throughout last season. While they are not as veteran as Jones and Ardoin, both Wallace and James should certainly be ready to take over. Theirs is a common level of inexperience that fans shouldn’t worry about too much.

As for the OL, a lot depends on Jackel. He didn’t play a lot last year, as Leglue and Briggs stayed healthy all year. If he steps up and is ready (we’ll see) we have enough lettermen and returning starters to put a line around him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 pm 
Navigator Level

There's no question we can put a line around him. The question is can we put a quality line around him. We have had issues on the line for several years so someone being a returning starter or letterman doesn't really mean a lot. Maybe the new scheme will account for our deficiencies there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 pm 
Breaker Level

Does anyone want to guess at a two deep D and two deep O ...based upon returning players and those in camp today? Any information would allow us to follow along and see who emerges as a possible surprise by the end of camp?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:27 pm 
Cornerstone

Too soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:57 pm 
Navigator Level

Offense - Line left to right, Johnson, Dublin,Montano,Knutson, Claybrook. TE-Wallace. Wr's- Mooney, McCleskey and Toles. McMillan. Bradwell, Daupine, Jones as top three.

D- P.Johnson, J. Johnson, Williams, Sample. LB's- Moody and Graham. CB's- Keyes and Monroe. S- Clark and Hall with Barge at NB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

TP: New offense puts Tulane in hurry-up mode: ‘I love it,’ QB Justin McMillan says

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:01 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Offense - Line left to right, Johnson, Dublin,Montano,Knutson, Claybrook. TE-Wallace. Wr's- Mooney, McCleskey and Toles. McMillan. Bradwell, Daupine, Jones as top three.

D- P.Johnson, J. Johnson, Williams, Sample. LB's- Moody and Graham. CB's- Keyes and Monroe. S- Clark and Hall with Barge at NB.

interesting that the article has nary a mention about Knutson.. and while I know he's not here for spring practice, and it's a spring practice preview, some mention about him being in the mix in the future warranted a slight mention... also left Dorian Williams off in the "newcomer" section, seeing as he is another early enrollee taking part in practice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

Advocate: Mutual admiration: new Tulane OC Will Hall, QB Justin McMillan a good fit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:

I’m excited for next season. I like that the offense is picking up the tempo and McMillan is comfortable with it.

On a more petty note:
Quote:
It would be understandable if Justin McMillan’s head were spinning at the start of Tulane’s spring drills.
Really Guerry?? :lol:

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 am 
Emerald Circle

The first thing he did was pick up the pace from what had been a slow-moving offense.

painfully slow moving offense would be a better description.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 am 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
The first thing he did was pick up the pace from what had been a slow-moving offense.

painfully slow moving offense would be a better description.

I thought we were just protecting the ball or keeping our defense off of the field. There are different ways to look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am 
Emerald Circle

but clearly WF was unhappy with what he saw or he wouldn't have fired Ruse and brought in Hall to change the pace of the offense (among other things). To cal it purposeful strategy is wrong, IMO. Or Ruse would still be here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am 
Cornerstone

If Banks had moved forward as a QB instead of backward Ruse would still be here.

I for one don’t like fast pace for its own sake. Fortunately, I don’t think Fritz does either. I also wonder about how well speeding it up will work with McMillan, who is still not really that experienced nor is he a proven accurate passer. We sped things up in 1997 but really sped it up in ‘98 once King got his feet wet in that offense. And King going into 1997 had taken many more college snaps than McMillan has to date. Going fast may have to wait until next year with Howard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 pm 
Navigator Level

As for Banks regression that was on Ruse and Fritz. Fritz admitted that about 5 games in at his weekly press conference. He said they had overcoached him to stay in the pocket. We didn’t get McMillan till the week before the season so they had been afraid that if he got hurt the season was over as we had nothing at back up.

As to tempo it is much needed and needed now. McMillan is a fifth year guy who is in good position to handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
but clearly WF was unhappy with what he saw or he wouldn't have fired Ruse and brought in Hall to change the pace of the offense (among other things). To cal it purposeful strategy is wrong, IMO. Or Ruse would still be here.

I generally thought Ruse's firing had more to do with what happened after the snap not before it.

long green wrote:
If Banks had moved forward as a QB instead of backward Ruse would still be here.

I for one don’t like fast pace for its own sake. Fortunately, I don’t think Fritz does either. I also wonder about how well speeding it up will work with McMillan, who is still not really that experienced nor is he a proven accurate passer. We sped things up in 1997 but really sped it up in ‘98 once King got his feet wet in that offense. And King going into 1997 had taken many more college snaps than McMillan has to date. Going fast may have to wait until next year with Howard.

Uncomfortable to think about, but true.

wavedom wrote:
As for Banks regression that was on Ruse and Fritz. Fritz admitted that about 5 games in at his weekly press conference. He said they had overcoached him to stay in the pocket. We didn’t get McMillan till the week before the season so they had been afraid that if he got hurt the season was over as we had nothing at back up.

As to tempo it is much needed and needed now. McMillan is a fifth year guy who is in good position to handle it.

Banks failed because he was inaccurate with passes, could never find a second receiver(barely find a second option), and fumbled, fumbled, fumbled.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

Yeah, keeping your defense off the field is great but not if you don't score any points.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm 
Navigator Level

Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

I generally thought Ruse's firing had more to do with what happened after the snap not before it.

long green wrote:

wavedom wrote:

Banks failed because he was inaccurate with passes, could never find a second receiver(barely find a second option), and fumbled, fumbled, fumbled.

You don't see a regression like that without poor coaching. Kudos to WF for acknowledging that. We also saw several QB's transfer. That had to do with how poor a coach they viewed Ruse as. That's why he's gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 am 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

long green wrote:

wavedom wrote:

You don't see a regression like that without poor coaching. Kudos to WF for acknowledging that. We also saw several QB's transfer. That had to do with how poor a coach they viewed Ruse as. That's why he's gone.

You're right. The coaching was definitely lacking. The difference between Banks and McMillan was not one was coached better than the other. Banks was not able to do what I mentioned above and JM was. That is on Banks, not Ruse.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 am 
Navigator Level

Where were you on Banks last year when he led us to Bowl Eligibility but for he robbery at SMU? Willie Fritz admitted they had over coached him and screwed him up. I'll trust him over you.