Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

Men play Memphis at Memphis, host of the AAC tournament, at 2pm central. Baring a miracle, the merciful end to the worst season since the one following Hot Rod’s shenanigans (yeah, the one we didn’t play). May that miracle happen and we play our way to the auto bid :mrgreen:

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm 
Navigator Level

"Men play Memphis at Memphis, host of the AAC tournament, at 2pm central. Baring a miracle, the merciful end to the worst season since the one following Hot Rod’s shenanigans (yeah, the one we didn’t play). May that miracle happen and we play our way to the auto bid :mrgreen:"

Baring? Really rider. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
"Men play Memphis at Memphis, host of the AAC tournament, at 2pm central. Baring a miracle, the merciful end to the worst season since the one following Hot Rod’s shenanigans (yeah, the one we didn’t play). May that miracle happen and we play our way to the auto bid :mrgreen:"

Baring? Really rider. :mrgreen:

It would be a fitting end to the season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 pm 
Breaker Level

waverider wrote:
Men play Memphis at Memphis, host of the AAC tournament, at 2pm central. Baring a miracle, the merciful end to the worst season since the one following Hot Rod’s shenanigans (yeah, the one we didn’t play). May that miracle happen and we play our way to the auto bid :mrgreen:

John “Hot Rod” Williams was found not guilty on all 5 counts of taking bribes/ point shaving, beating both of his trials. Yes, the 1985 Tulane Basketball scandal was an embarrassment to Tulane Athletics but Hot Rod’s name was cleared of any wrongdoing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 pm 
Navigator Level

speckled trout wrote:
waverider wrote:

John “Hot Rod” Williams was found not guilty on all 5 counts of taking bribes/ point shaving, beating both of his trials. Yes, the 1985 Tulane Basketball scandal was an embarrassment to Tulane Athletics but Hot Rod’s name was cleared of any wrongdoing.

If you want to disparage somebody then use the name of the gambling degenerate who masterminded the deal,Bobby Thompson.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wait, are y'all saying Hot Rod was innocent of all wrongdoing? I know the courts said that, but I've heard plenty of stories from folks who were there...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:08 am 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Wait, are y'all saying Hot Rod was innocent of all wrongdoing? I know the courts said that, but I've heard plenty of stories from folks who were there...

Heck there are probably people that think oj and Casey Anthony are innocent too

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
speckled trout wrote:
waverider wrote:

If you want to disparage somebody then use the name of the gambling degenerate who masterminded the deal,Bobby Thompson.

That's pretty funny and I am assuming you're being sarcastic.. Bobby Thompson was the only player who had "guilty" assigned to him because he stupidly took a plea deal. The ENTIRE thing flowed through Clyde Eads. Clyde was a regular at the Boot (he never paid for a drink when I was tending bar) and the AEPi guys who were also regulars there approached him about the scheme after Clyde bought some coke from Gary Kranz. Clyde brought in Johnny Johnson, and they both agreed nothing would work without Hot Rod on board. Eads and Johnson received immunity for their testimony against David Domonique and Hot Rod.. both of those two were acquitted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
wavedom wrote:
speckled trout wrote:
waverider wrote:

That's pretty funny and I am assuming you're being sarcastic.. Bobby Thompson was the only player who had "guilty" assigned to him because he stupidly took a plea deal. The ENTIRE thing flowed through Clyde Eads. Clyde was a regular at the Boot (he never paid for a drink when I was tending bar) and the AEPi guys who were also regulars there approached him about the scheme after Clyde bought some coke from Gary Kranz. Clyde brought in Johnny Johnson, and they both agreed nothing would work without Hot Rod on board. Eads and Johnson received immunity for their testimony against David Domonique and Hot Rod.. both of those two were acquitted.
Lots of detail. Did you get some time in a confessional too? (I’ve been watching way too many British cop shows on Amazon Prime).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 am 
Navigator Level

Thompson got a misdemeanor to testify. He was literally laughed off the stand his testimony was so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 am 
Emerald Circle

Bay, I just don't see any scenario that would have us progressing past this game. Which should mean, as you put it, a merciful end to this season. Th question is where do we go from here because something is obviously not working.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 am 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Lots of detail. Did you get some time in a confessional too? (I’ve been watching way too many British cop shows on Amazon Prime).

other than sliding Clyde free highballs, I did nothing wrong, your Honor... that was my senior year at Tulane.. one of my former fraternity brothers who was in law school and was pretty well connected downtown came to me about a week before the scandal broke and asked me if I knew anything? Other than an "it wouldn't surprise me" response, I had no knowledge. I was at all of the games that were alleged for shaving. I sat front row for the Memphis game at about where Eads used to set up for his corner jumpers in the 2nd half (Tulane bench end) and watched him pass up open shot after open shot. So when it was mentioned that was one of the games, you can see why I wasn't surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm 
Navigator Level

Hot Rod was found not guilty. Most if not all would agree that doesn't always mean one was innocent. Thompson was the one who cooked the idea up as he was a degenerate gambler. Fowler had a thing for recruiting one local every year. (There were 15 scholarships back then). He had a soft spot for Thompson. Worst mistake of his career. I was at the games. There was mid-season game where we were up by more than the spread in the first half. He put Thompson in. He immediately started throwing the ball away and the lead shrunk by 8 in less than two minutes.

As for Eads his shot was from the perimeter on the left side. Everyone knew it. I could go on the court today and mark the spot. In the Memphis game they were leaving him wide open at his spot. They wouldn't defend him even thought the coach was yelling at them to do so. He kept hesitating so they would cover him. When they wouldn't he'd just pass it off or throw up a brick. When all was said and done word was Memphis was being looked at too for the same thing.

I went to the trial and as I already stated Thompson was a joke on the stand.

Everyone assumes you have to have the star player . Well Eads was a big part of the offense. So remember what they say about assuming. Also please remember when you trash Hot Rod you are disparaging someone who is deceased.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Hot Rod was found not guilty. Most if not all would agree that doesn't always mean one was innocent. Thompson was the one who cooked the idea up as he was a degenerate gambler. Fowler had a thing for recruiting one local every year. (There were 15 scholarships back then). He had a soft spot for Thompson. Worst mistake of his career. I was at the games. There was mid-season game where we were up by more than the spread in the first half. He put Thompson in. He immediately started throwing the ball away and the lead shrunk by 8 in less than two minutes.

As for Eads his shot was from the perimeter on the left side. Everyone knew it. I could go on the court today and mark the spot. In the Memphis game they were leaving him wide open at his spot. They wouldn't defend him even thought the coach was yelling at them to do so. He kept hesitating so they would cover him. When they wouldn't he'd just pass it off or throw up a brick. When all was said and done word was Memphis was being looked at too for the same thing.

I went to the trial and as I already stated Thompson was a joke on the stand.

Everyone assumes you have to have the star player . Well Eads was a big part of the offense. So remember what they say about assuming. Also please remember when you trash Hot Rod you are disparaging someone who is deceased.

this account differs slightly from your theory on Bobby Thompson being the overall mastermind, although the degenerate gambler portion of it was seemingly accurate: http://articles.latimes.com/1985-04-06/ ... ing-scheme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:38 pm 
Navigator Level

"Senior reserve Bobby Thompson, charged with conspiracy, knew nothing until after the game. But he joined in splitting $3,500 after Tulane won, 64-63, in a game it entered as a 10-point favorite."

That makes no sense that the others gave someone $3,500 that didn't even know about it or contribute to it. I trust my sources over that any day.