Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:54 pm 
Navigator Level

There's no question that he has to go. As noted above he broke his own record for most losses in a season. First to go winless. Had Embo with Reynolds and Frazier and still lost . The recruits he has coming aren't worth keeping him for. Dannen created this situation with that long contract. He needs to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:59 pm 
President's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
NJwave wrote:
We’ve tried assistants from major schools (Dickerson and Finney), a young coach from a lower level program (Conroy) and now an NBA guy with very little success. The only thing we haven’t tried is bringing in a Tulane guy. It is time to give Carlin Hartman or Greg Gary a call. They both know what it is like to win at Tulane and have experience recruiting and coaching at bigger programs. They don’t have head coaching experience but at this point I don’t see what we have to lose.

That’s definitely not the only thing that we haven’t tried.
We could always go after a Billy Kennedy or Steve Alford type that was recently fired from a big school but has had plenty of success as a head coach.
I don’t see Conroy’s failure as a good reason to stay away from the young guy from a lower level program. There are plenty of those types with résumés that blow Conroy’s out of the water.

Agreed. Conroy was a dubious hire for reasons beyond coming from a smaller school. Also, worth noting that all of the above-referenced hires were by RD, who demonstrated that when it comes to hiring coaches, he has a real eye for gardeners.

Seconded. It's not the type of coach that has been the mistake but the specific coach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
We’ve tried assistants from major schools (Dickerson and Finney), a young coach from a lower level program (Conroy) and now an NBA guy with very little success. The only thing we haven’t tried is bringing in a Tulane guy. It is time to give Carlin Hartman or Greg Gary a call. They both know what it is like to win at Tulane and have experience recruiting and coaching at bigger programs. They don’t have head coaching experience but at this point I don’t see what we have to lose.

On the other hand, when we hired coaches who actually had winning records at smaller schools, we did well: Moir and Fowler. That would be my preferred demographic this time.
From 1975-2000 we were generally good, except for the Danforth debacle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 pm 
Riptide Level

GSx wrote:
NJwave wrote:

On the other hand, when we hired coaches who actually had winning records at smaller schools, we did well: Moir and Fowler. That would be my preferred demographic this time.

Langel (Colgate) or Joseph (Yale) would be excellent at Tulane.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

angrywavedad wrote:
GSx wrote:
NJwave wrote:

Langel (Colgate) or Joseph (Yale) would be excellent at Tulane.

Jones, Yale, was on our short list last time.
And then there is Pasternack who's done well with Cal Santa Barbara and obviously knows the area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

I have watched ETSU have a couple of fairly good coaches; their current coach has certainly made progress (although Outlaw might be a better judge of the current dude)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm 
President's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
I have watched ETSU have a couple of fairly good coaches; their current coach has certainly made progress (although Outlaw might be a better judge of the current dude)

Current guy, Steve Forbes, is really good. Came in and made the team competitive immediately. He was at Wichita St. As an assistant prior to Etsu. He would be a good hire on paper, however, I'm not sure his model would work as well here. I'm pretty sure transfers and juco guys play strongly into his success.

I looked at Langel from Colgate, and wasnt quite as impressed. It took him a while to get his feet under him and this season is far and away his best. Then again, I think Colgate was pretty bad when he took over, so maybe he can rebuild and would be up for another reclamation project.

The fact that it's the end of the day and we still employ Dunleavy makes all this moot and me very, very sad. It's a black mark against TD and it's basically throwing away next season. Why would anybody in their right mind buy season tickets with MD still at the the helm?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 pm 
President's Circle

If we go in a different direction (winning), Mike Lonergan is my choice. Attached is an article, but he was wrongly railroaded out of GW on a trumped-up charge by an out-of-control AD, who was fired very soon after he fired Lonergan. The guy has been a winner at two programs, can coach and deserves a second chance. He would come at a reasonable cost while we buy out MD's contract, certainly a consideration for Tulane. Took both Vermont and GW to the NCAAs and won the NIT in the last season he coached there.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-coach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:12 pm 
President's Circle

Looking forward to next year, the roster will be -

Daniels
Sehic
Crabtree
Walker
Ona Embo
Barrett
Wood
Zhang
Ajang
Koka
Days
McIntosh
Langton

That is 13 scholarships (and two point guards thank the Lord). Are we actively recruiting anyone for next year? If so, any rumors of anyone leaving?

Unfortunately, we are going to have to make the best of next year because I don’t see Dannen as a guy that will retract his endorsement made several weeks ago. I think the only hope we have is MD stepping down, but I don’t think his ego will allow that. I just wish he lets his assistants actually coach next year. It is my understanding the assistants really have no say on gameday. I don’t think MD has any idea how to coach x’s & o’s in the college game. Just let the assistants have some say so during the game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

I've got to think one/both of ROE and Sehic will grad transfer if at all possible.