Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:29 am 
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Cletus, if you are interviewing for other jobs, especially Wazzu who is dreadful in baseball, and you are telling some of your fanbase that Tulane has not lived up to their end of the contract, how can you deduct anything otherwise?

He's from the area and isn't he a WSU alum too besides having coached there? The vast majority of us would at least listen to someone who offers us the opportunity to go "home" even if it's only a passing whim.

So in short, I don't know how TJ feels about Tulane and N.O. except if he stays he knows that next year is n*t cutting time and if he likes being an HC with the pay, perks, and all, it's time to show he can succeed. I believe he will be absolutely focused on winning and not have other agendas like some other coaches we've had around here in the past.

If he's the coach, I'm pulling for him but like most here that's a decision from the heart and not the head after watching the last three seasons.

Yes, he’s a Wazzu alum and coached there from 2005-2009

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:14 pm 
Regent's Circle

I think that sometimes people forget families are involved. Coach Jewett has a wife and 2 boys (young men). If you’ve spent any amount of time in a relationship, then you know family happiness is a piece of the pie. NOTE: I’m not blaming anything on the family, but if you(the family) are from an area, as noted above, why wouldn’t you at least listen to what someone has to say?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

noladave wrote:
I think that sometimes people forget families are involved. Coach Jewett has a wife and 2 boys (young men). If you’ve spent any amount of time in a relationship, then you know family happiness is a piece of the pie. NOTE: I’m not blaming anything on the family, but if you(the family) are from an area, as noted above, why wouldn’t you at least listen to what someone has to say?

We have tried to recruit several Docs to join our practice (if anyone knows a rheumatologist who is looking to move to the mountains, send them my way), and family has affected two, the last choosing a position close to his parents, who are Doctors practicing in the Chattanooga area. Family certainly is a factor in where one chooses to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:27 pm 
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote:
long green wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
He interviewed and was not offered the job. Dannen is going to do this for another year. Just a terrible situation.

I do not agree entirely. Its not good, of course, but in my opinion this program is not in as bad shape as basketball was this year, nor is it as black as football was at the end of every season from 2009 to 2011 and at the end of the 2015 season. I think the same remedy is called for in this case but it will not kill Tulane baseball or Tulane athletics to limp into one more season with Travis Jewett. I really wish he had gotten the job, alas.

I am right there with you. Him going to Wazzou would probably have been best for both parties. The sky is not falling on the baseball program.

The tribalism of either accusing each other of being Jewett lovers or haters needs to cool off.
Patience is still the move at this point. Let us not act like a bunch of rabid corn dogs.

I wish it were as simple as pro-Jewett/anti-Jewett. But there is only one example of the former on these forums. The extreme of the anti-Jewett perspective seem to be more anti-Dannen, really.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:35 pm 
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:
Who in the hell is he going to be able to convince to come to Tulane and play for him.

Um, just about everyone who has signed to play for him next year? And most of those who have committed? Head coaches interview for jobs they don't get all the time. All the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:12 pm 
Cornerstone

AO Sig wrote:
noladave wrote:

We have tried to recruit several Docs to join our practice (if anyone knows a rheumatologist who is looking to move to the mountains, send them my way), and family has affected two, the last choosing a position close to his parents, who are Doctors practicing in the Chattanooga area. Family certainly is a factor in where one chooses to go.

My dad is not interested :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:54 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Who in the hell is he going to be able to convince to come to Tulane and play for him.

Um, just about everyone who has signed to play for him next year? And most of those who have committed? Head coaches interview for jobs they don't get all the time. All the time.

No joke - did you you really think I meant all of them would decommitt or not show up. I am talking about those kids that make you special, and in baseball that is top line pitching. Try to think bigger picture.

Last edited by tjtlja on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:29 pm 
President's Circle

noladave wrote:

Dave, of course family matters, and there have been many rumors about the family being happy. And would you listen to the school you graduated from, sure, in most cases. This visit to Wazzu probably encompasses all of that. But he interviewed, and didn't get an offer from Washington State. Lets put this into perspective. WSU over the past 7 years -

2019 Record 11-42-1 RPI 221
2018 Record 16-33-1 RPI 187
2017 Record 24-29 RPI 124
2016 Record 19-35 RPI 177
2015 Record 29-27 RPI 142
2014 Record 24-30 RPI 135
2013 Record 23-32 RPI 155

They play in a league with the likes of UCLA, OSU, Arizona State, Stanford, Arizona, and Cal. WSU baseball is equivalent to Lipscomb, Rutgers, UMass, Richmond, and Northwestern. I know some don't think of us as a top 50 program anymore, but I do and perhaps that is being overly optimistic. But our history tells me otherwise. And interviewing for a job like Wazzu is comparable to leaving Alabama football for Vanderbilt. It just smells bad.

Last edited by tjtlja on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:09 pm 
Breaker Level

tjtlja wrote:
noladave wrote:

Dave, of course family matters, and there have been many rumors about the family being happy. And would you listen to the school you graduated from, sure, in most cases. This visit to Wazzu probably encompasses all of that. But he interviewed, and didn't get an offer from Washington State. Lets put this into perspective. WSU over the past 5 years -

2019 Record 11-42-1 RPI 221
2018 Record 16-33-1 RPI 187
2017 Record 24-29 RPI 124
2016 Record 19-35 RPI 177
2015 Record 29-27 RPI 142
2014 Record 24-30 RPI 135
2013 Record 23-32 RPI 155

They play in a league with the likes of UCLA, OSU, Arizona State, Stanford, Arizona, and Cal. WSU baseball is equivalent to Lipscomb, Rutgers, UMass, Richmond, and Northwestern. I know some don't think of us as a top 50 program anymore, but I do and perhaps that is being overly optimistic. But our history tells me otherwise. And interviewing for a job like Wazzu is comparable to leaving Alabama football for Vanderbilt. It just smells bad.

See that is your problem....rumors...you keep saying you talked to this past person that person etc....have you talked to anyone currently with the program? Because it seems you like to peddle horsesh*t hoping that it will turn up a daisy. How the heck do you know what happened at WSU? He might have went there as a friendly gesture to say no thanks. We have seen many times that you PERSONALLY HAVE A VENDETTA AGAINST HIM!!!!! Give it a friggin rest. Oh.....& next year....please don't act like you give a crap about records & winning...because as soon as it looks like the team is headed south the real you shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:11 am 
President's Circle

Quote:
See that is your problem....rumors...you keep saying you talked to this past person that person etc....have you talked to anyone currently with the program? Because it seems you like to peddle horsesh*t hoping that it will turn up a daisy. How the heck do you know what happened at WSU? He might have went there as a friendly gesture to say no thanks. We have seen many times that you PERSONALLY HAVE A VENDETTA AGAINST HIM!!!!! Give it a friggin rest. Oh.....& next year....please don't act like you give a crap about records & winning...because as soon as it looks like the team is headed south the real you shows up.

I don’t think Kendall Rogers would have reported that Jewett was a “leading candidate” for the job if he just went up there to say no thanks. We don’t know for certain but the most likely explanation is that he interviewed and they decided he wasn’t the coach that they wanted.
Most of us do care about records and winning, which is why we don’t like Jewett. He hasn’t done any winning and hasn’t shown any reason to believe he ever will.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:43 am 
Navigator Level

See Beamer.

:jerry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:15 am 
Cornerstone

He went to WSU and legitimately interviewed for the job. He either didn’t get it or turned them down. It’s football season. We’re going to beat Auburn and I’m going to tear down the goalposts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am 
Emerald Circle

So does that mean we're done with speculating?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:22 am 
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:
long green wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

No joke - did you you really think I meant all of them would decommitt or not show up. I am talking about those kids that make you special, and in baseball that is top line pitching. Try to think bigger picture.

I don’t know exactly what you meant when you typed that sentence but that is what you posted. My point is that the hay is in the barn for Travis Jewett. As for the players that make you special Jewett had better hope this incoming group has them or he won’t be signing many more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am 
President's Circle

guess we gotta see where Damon Fountain of Barbe HS goes in the draft; he is a Top 100 HS player nationally and rated 10 of 10 by Perfect Game; power hitter with all the tools. Maybe K. Hoese about to become a $2M to $4M man and Jewett's skill at teaching hitting will get Damon on the Tulane campus. He and Hudson Haskin would be a hell of an outfield.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

FW wrote:
He went to WSU and legitimately interviewed for the job. He either didn’t get it or turned them down. It’s football season. We’re going to beat Auburn and I’m going to tear down the goalposts.

that would be quite a sight... seeing you trying to tear down the goalposts.. by yourself

I was in Atlanta this past weekend chatting with a guy who does Ford's commercials... they are doing the SEC coaches spot again this year and some of the Alabama Ford dealers were "yeah, we don't need a lot of Gus in the spot, this year"... this is probably Malzahn's last at Auburn. Let's help hasten his exit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 pm 
President's Circle

If it wasn't already posted (sorry)

https://d1baseball.com/coaching-buzz/wa ... ian-green/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:47 pm 
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

that would be quite a sight... seeing you trying to tear down the goalposts.. by yourself

I was in Atlanta this past weekend chatting with a guy who does Ford's commercials... they are doing the SEC coaches spot again this year and some of the Alabama Ford dealers were "yeah, we don't need a lot of Gus in the spot, this year"... this is probably Malzahn's last at Auburn. Let's help hasten his exit.

I won't be by myself. Soph will be on the field with me, he just doesn't know it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm 
Navigator Level

randymc wrote:
guess we gotta see where Damon Fountain of Barbe HS goes in the draft; he is a Top 100 HS player nationally and rated 10 of 10 by Perfect Game; power hitter with all the tools. Maybe K. Hoese about to become a $2M to $4M man and Jewett's skill at teaching hitting will get Damon on the Tulane campus. He and Hudson Haskin would be a hell of an outfield.

Much appreciate the way you follow our recruiting. I think you recently posted a list of incoming players. Could you post it with their perfect game scores? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
long green wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I don’t know exactly what you meant when you typed that sentence but that is what you posted. My point is that the hay is in the barn for Travis Jewett. As for the players that make you special Jewett had better hope this incoming group has them or he won’t be signing many more.

A lame duck year with a coach not interested in being here (hypothetically) would probably not result in a good class next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
Tuition money. You could just do like Mrs. TUPF and I did. Live WAY BELOW our means, drive cars for 10+ years, take cheap or no vacations, start investing in the stock market aggressively for college the week a kid is born, and use the most expensive 4 year college tuition around as our target goal (we used Bennington). When/if scholly money comes, any excess amount you have gives you more flexibility to do other things. We started with nothing, actually we started negative because Mrs. TUPF had undergrad and law school loans.

It can be done. Like everything else in life you set your own priorities.

If Jewett takes this advice to heart and starts spreading the gospel, it should really improve our baseball recruiting in...(checks calendar)...2037.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:14 pm 
President's Circle

Tulane has 11 commits for 2020 at this point; that includes 4 guys rated 9 points out of 10 by Perfect Game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm 
President's Circle

FW wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

I won't be by myself. Soph will be on the field with me, he just doesn't know it yet.

He definitely knows it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
Dave, has something changed? I know we've always had issues with transfers, but our rosters over the past 20+ years have been littered with JUCO transfers. Is it harder today than it was in the mid to late 90s and early to mid-2000s to get transfers in? Same with transfers from non-JUCOs. Did this change? Because those kids weren't put off then when we were winning.

As for Rice, and the Hispanic tuition thing. Everyone brings that up, but I remember doing an analysis of some of their better teams, and they were not overly Hispanic, so it did not seem to really help them much.

A program like that doesn't have to get you your better players. Getting 6 (or 8 or whatever) players that contribute or just even add depth means that you have more scholarship money to turn around and add to get your better players. Like what we do/should be doing with legislative scholarships.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

randymc wrote:
Tulane has 11 commits for 2020 at this point; that includes 4 guys rated 9 points out of 10 by Perfect Game.
Ahh, didn't know baseball commits were that far ahead...push it to 2021, then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next