Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

Last edited by waverider on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 pm 
Cornerstone

Is it August yet?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:53 am 
Coach Level

I think the biggest reason for optimism for the football team is our front 4 on defense. We haven't had this much talent and depth on the D Line for as long as I have followed Tulane football.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:41 am 
Emerald Circle

agreed, in August, if our OL is even holding their own in practice, I'll feel pretty good.

tough schedule though. not sure if this review was posted.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/05 ... ayers-2019

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:08 am 
Emerald Circle

that front 7 should be REALLY good in 2020 - upset the Cats in Evanston!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:23 am 
President's Circle

Has anyone seen a post spring depth chart?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:37 am 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
agreed, in August, if our OL is even holding their own in practice, I'll feel pretty good.

tough schedule though. not sure if this review was posted.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/05 ... ayers-2019

Quote:
Tulane should be better and stronger than the 2018 version, but it won’t have a whole lot to show for it.

It’ll get an amazing year out of the defense, and the offensive side should be more balanced and talented, but there are still just enough issues – and just enough tough games – to keep from making bowl eligibility easy.

The D will be good enough to come up with an upset or two, and there will be times – like the wins over USF and Memphis last season – when everything clicks against a good team, but …

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am 
Cornerstone

I really think we’re going to surprise everyone who says we’re not going to improve on the win total

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 am 
Navigator Level

We will and we better.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am 
Navigator Level

The away schedule is a brute. Historically not very successful at any of the six: Auburn, Army, Memphis, Navy, Temple, and SMU.

We have veteran coaching leadership (including starting QB?) that should help. And we have MO from last year. And we have a bit of swagger. And the new OC Hall. And a nice compliment of weapons on O.

Having said all that right this minute I am having a hard time confidently picking two wins out of the six away games.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:54 am 
Regent's Circle

1401973 wrote:
The away schedule is a brute. Historically not very successful at any of the six: Auburn, Army, Memphis, Navy, Temple, and SMU.

We have veteran coaching leadership (including starting QB?) that should help. And we have MO from last year. And we have a bit of swagger. And the new OC Hall. And a nice compliment of weapons on O.

Having said all that right this minute I am having a hard time confidently picking two wins out of the six away games.

we win all 6.. the Auburn win will throw shock waves throughout the southeast!!

no, I will not place a wager on that... just want it in "writing" so in case it happens, I can say in November "see... told ya!!!"

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 am 
Navigator Level

Johnny Mac wrote:
[the Auburn win will throw shock waves throughout the southeast!!

Johnny that win would be the biggest win since......maybe '82 #7 ranked lsu?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:00 pm 
President's Circle

I wouldn't count on Auburn, obviously. Fritz, for all his success, has not done well in big underdog games on the road--excepting GA Tech from 5 years ago. HOWEVER, I think we will be surprised about how well we will do against the remaining group. We should beat SMU (I know, I know, we say it every year--but the odds are with us this season), Army and Navy are always cr@pshoots, Memphis is imminently beatable, so is Temple. If we remain physical up front and have the athletes in the secondary, I think we'll surprise a lot of people. Starting with a thumping of FIU at home.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:02 pm 
President's Circle

FIU is the key. It's the FIU/UAB/South Alabama type games that really keep us from turning the corner. Win those games and I'm confident more conference wins will follow.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 pm 
Cornerstone

Rotorooter wrote:
I wouldn't count on Auburn, obviously. Fritz, for all his success, has not done well in big underdog games on the road--excepting GA Tech from 5 years ago. HOWEVER, I think we will be surprised about how well we will do against the remaining group. We should beat SMU (I know, I know, we say it every year--but the odds are with us this season), Army and Navy are always cr@pshoots, Memphis is imminently beatable, so is Temple. If we remain physical up front and have the athletes in the secondary, I think we'll surprise a lot of people. Starting with a thumping of FIU at home.

Army was very good last year against a soft schedule. I am skeptical they can improve on 2018. Navy will give us a game as usual but they have declined steadily over the past few years. We have yet to play well vs Temple. Memphis lost some very good explosive athletes on offense but could improve with a returning QB.

My question is McMillan. To run a more “spready” offense he has to be able to make the “easy” throws routine.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Army was very good last year against a soft schedule. I am skeptical they can improve on 2018. Navy will give us a game as usual but they have declined steadily over the past few years. We have yet to play well vs Temple. Memphis lost some very good explosive athletes on offense but could improve with a returning QB.

My question is McMillan. To run a more “spready” offense he has to be able to make the “easy” throws routine.

Houston? Looking at us vs. Army with that common opponent tells me that Army is still a cr@pshoot. You're correct about Temple, but I'm not a buyer on them for 2019. For some reason, Navy away is still a bugaboo for us, although I agree with your decline. I think we will be VERY physical next season, which is different for us, and McMillan can run the O effectively. I don't think he'll ever be a good percentage-type thrower.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 pm 
Cornerstone

That bowl game was a crazy outlier. Houston didn’t want to be there. Bowls can have results like that. What about Army vs Navy? Navy was blah last year but hung throughout with Army. Army will win a lot of games again. Last year they played Duke and got handled. This year they don’t play an okay P5 like that. It’s Michigan and g5’s and service academies and two one dubs. We’re not considered that great and we stick out like a sore thumb on their schedule.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

historically, Tulane has beaten Auburn more times than Auburn has beaten Tulane.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm 
Regent's Circle

1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

I doubt it's possible, outside of winning a New Year's 6 or college football playoff game, to top that victory.. ever. At least in my book.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:16 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

I doubt it's possible, outside of winning a New Year's 6 or college football playoff game, to top that victory.. ever. At least in my book.

On a personal note - I was married that night in '82 and it was certainly my biggest victory which will never be topped. Roll Wave! :-D

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:36 pm 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

On a personal note - I was married that night in '82 and it was certainly my biggest victory which will never be topped. Roll Wave! :-D

But you missed the game!?;!!!?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Yep - was in Houston. That was the only negative. After the reception, I tried to pick up wwl on the radio, but no luck. It wasn't until our brunch on Sunday that I was able to find out the score. A very good omen it has been.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:17 pm 
President's Circle

sr wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Yep - was in Houston. That was the only negative. After the reception, I tried to pick up wwl on the radio, but no luck. It wasn't until our brunch on Sunday that I was able to find out the score. A very good omen it has been.

SR. now that is something to say. You should always know exactly how long it has been since Tulane beat LSU. My story is a bit of the opposite. I was about 8 months along in my mothers belly to born less than two months after. I too can easily tell people how long its been since Tulane beat LSU. I have since seen that game about 20 times on VHS.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
sr wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

SR. now that is something to say. You should always know exactly how long it has been since Tulane beat LSU. My story is a bit of the opposite. I was about 8 months along in my mothers belly to born less than two months after. I too can easily tell people how long its been since Tulane beat LSU. I have since seen that game about 20 times on VHS.

Yep, I was -4 months old myself!